Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sorry, will prob. seem a bit silly to ask but on behalf of a good friend of mine:

- can't find french and spanish degrees on the warwick site and neither can i. is this because warwick doesn't do french and spanish? or just us being stupid? and is it poss. to take up a third language?

- how would you rate the place to be - as a student?

any help gratefully received.

x

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand:

French and Spanish isn't offered. German with Spanish is the only thing like that offered, because the Spanish side of it is run from the languages centre (rather than a dedicated Spanish department).

It's not possible to take up a third language as part of a degree, but there are leisure courses available from the language centre (at a cost). There's also a LIP society where people meet to practise conversing in many different languages, including Spanish.

The feedback I've heard from existing language students has convinced me that it's the right place for me. The lecturers all seemed nice and the course content was appealing.

If your friend has any other questions, there are some helpful existing students answering questions on the facebook language freshers group here.

ReputationRep:
    you can take as many outside languages as you want 75 pounds a term i think...

ReputationRep:
    If you have an optional module, you can take one for free I like the language centre (do french as an option as part of my main degree); everyone's always been really nice in there.

ReputationRep:
    the language dept isn't rated that highly at warwick though...

ReputationRep:
    It may not be rated very highly compared with other departments within Warwick, but compared with other universities it is still very good for languages.

I know league tables aren't everything by any means, but according to the Times league table it is joint 7th for French and 9th for German.
    The Independent rates it 6th for French, 11th for Italian and 4th for German.

ReputationRep:
    yeh in fairness the uni rep is all that matters for most people and obviously we're 4 /5 /6 normally so its goood in that respect but i know people do complain about the lnaguage department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_cole2)
    yeh in fairness the uni rep is all that matters for most people and obviously we're 4 /5 /6 normally so its goood in that respect but i know people do complain about the lnaguage department.
    What do they complain about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smooth3k)
    What do they complain about?
    i can't understand a word they're saying :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.