Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    also sorry, might seem weird, but have wiki-ed warwick and can't seem to grasp any idea of how ethnically diverse it is, as a place... it's an important factor to my friend. could anyone shine a light?

x

ReputationRep:
    i'd say it's pretty diverse. i have friends from all over the world now

ReputationRep:
    yeh highly diverse lots of chinese people on my course (econ).

ReputationRep:
    Over a quarter of our students are international (from overseas), we equally have more ethnic diversity amongst home students on top of this. We are one of the most diverse universities in the UK, you will make friends from all over the world.

ReputationRep:
    And yet, a white student who said "I'm worried this Uni will not be white enough" would be considered racist......

Funny that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    And yet, a white student who said "I'm worried this Uni will not be white enough" would be considered racist......

Funny that!
    The friend in question could be white. Ethnic diversity was quite an important factor for me in choosing Warwick and Im a home student.

ReputationRep:
    Ethnicity is only an issue if you MAKE it an issue.

ReputationRep:

Funny that!
    QFT

ReputationRep:

Funny that!
    hmm very helpful post.nice reply tomdav

ReputationRep:

Funny that!
    This is not about colour of skin. There are lots of issues they could have. Where do I get X food? Where and how do I do my prayers (and you'd prefer not to do these in isolation)? How do i celebrate x festival? Maybe it'll just be an issue that someone of similar background will understand; they'll have the same concerns and worries and so they'll feel more at ease.

There are loads of issues. Living in Britain and being surrounded by people of similar culture means you take many things for granted. If you went to study abroad for a year, I'm sure you'd find you'd group with British people.

It matters much less to British born ethnic minorities than an international, but I can see why it's still an important factor when considering a university.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.