ErvinBoyes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm thinking about studying Economic History at LSE, but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades would be a hinderance. My A level grades should be adequate and may exceed the required grades. Being that the requirements for the course are lower, will my GCSE grades matter a little less?

GCSEs:
English lit: 8
English lang: 7
History: A
Art: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: B
Maths: 6
Spanish: B

A levels:
Economics: A* if I'm lucky, A hopefully, B at the very least
History: A* if I'm very lucky, A hopefully, B at the very least
Graphic Communication: A* most likely, but A if I'm unlucky
Last edited by ErvinBoyes; 8 months ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ErvinBoyes)
I'm thinking about studying Economic History at LSE, but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades would be a hinderance. My A level grades should be adequate and may exceed the required grades. Being that the requirements for the course are lower, will my GCSE grades matter a little less?

GCSEs:
English lit: 8
English lang: 7
History: A
Art: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: B
Maths: 6
Spanish: B

A levels:
Economics: A* if I'm lucky, A hopefully, B at the very least
History: A* if I'm very lucky, A hopefully, B at the very least
Graphic Communication: A* most likely, but A if I'm unlucky
What does it say in the entrance requirements for your course? Normally it just says competitive and a high amount of top grades. I think they are a bit holistic, but contact admissions and as long as the rest of your application is up to scratch then you should be in with a decent shout. The website is quite helpful but it takes some digging. If you are down at Bs then you could get a rejection and id expect you to be min at what they require or higher and even then theres no guarantee.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by absentcrucible)
I think when you're doing GCSE's theres a worry that they won't be high enough for [insert top 5 uni here]. By the time you're doing a levels you won't even remember what GCSE's you did tbh.

As long as your predicted and actual a levels are all A*, and you have a very strong PS, i doubt they would care about GCSE's. But I have no idea tbh, just my personal opinion. Contact admissions tho to be safe.

Bigger concern (if you're not happy w your gcses) is that your motivation and work ethic will be in line with GCSE performance for a levels. If you don't like the sound of that, work harder !
Its is LSE though and they are funny about GCSE, so they are relevant. they have an holitic approach to applications so are hard to pin down and having perfect scores doesnt guarantee anything.

Example.
Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9), or equivalent. Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6). We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile, and your AS grades, if available.

Most other applicants will have a strong profile. It would help if they had A* predicteds.
duppa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Got an offer this year with similar (but lower) gcse’s for maths + econ, id worry more about your a level in graphics which I believe is on their ‘non preferred’ list, not sure how much that plays a factor in giving an offer though
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by duppa)
id worry more about your a level in graphics which I believe is on their ‘non preferred’ list, not sure how much that plays a factor in giving an offer though
You could be right about that, but hopefully it shouldn't matter too much since I'm applying from economic history which doesn't really seem to have any particular subject requirements for what you've studied previously. Of course I would have been better off doing something such as English literature but hopefully it shouldn't effect things too much, since the other two subjects are very relevant.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think when you're doing GCSE's theres a worry that they won't be high enough for [insert top 5 uni here]. By the time you're doing a levels you won't even remember what GCSE's you did tbh.

As long as your predicted and actual a levels are all A*, and you have a very strong PS, i doubt they would care about GCSE's. But I have no idea tbh, just my personal opinion. Contact admissions tho to be safe.
LSE do care about GCSEs so you shouldn't really suggest top 5 unis "won't even remember what GCSEs you did" but at least you admitted it was just your personal opinion.

In ErvinBoyes case, their GCSEs look reasonable for LSE but I share duppas concern about Graphic Communication (though students are generally allowed to have one subject from the non - preferred list if they are strong candidates in other ways). Overall, it sounds from what we know as though OP would be a borderline applicant for LSE, as long as they are prediced AAB or preferably higher.

At the end of the day, you get 5 choices on UCAS, so it's fine to have one or two that are aspirational. I would suggest going to an LSE Open Day and finding out more information directly from Admissions tutors for this particular course.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My apologies I didn't know this about LSE.

Don't appreciate the misquote @harrysbar. I said that people in general don't really think about what GCSEs they did once your doing a levels. I remember once in a levels most people I spoke to could barely remember, seemed so long ago. If you're gonna be that guy who calls people out, atleast check your accuracy.

Also re-reading what I said, its pretty clear I said if OP got all A* at a level, the GCSE's would be less relevant in my humble opinion. Do you think GCSE's would be the deciding factor in a candidate with predicted all a* and strong PS. Im not convinced tbh, especially given a large number of applicants won't even have GCSE's, but only a levels equivelants. As I said the best person to ask is admissions - they will be better to advise than anyone on tsr!

The thing is, you won't know unless you try, so whats the harm in applying? You have 5 choices!
I apologise for the misquote.

But......you did also say "As long as your predicted and actual a levels are all A*, and you have a very strong PS, i doubt they would care about GCSE's" whereas you can see from the link that Tigger posted from the LSE website that:
Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9), or equivalent. Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6). We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile, and your AS grades, if available.

This is the advice that LSE give to their UK applicants - people from other countries may not have GCSEs but that is a separate issue not relevant to OP.
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just thought I'd post an update on this thread in case anyone comes across it and is wondering if I managed to get an offer because I remember trying to find similar threads to mine to look for an answer. I did manage to get an offer with A*AB in graphic communication, history and economics respectively, so I was quite fortunate really. My advice to anyone in a similar situation is to just spend a lot of time on your personal statement as I think this is the only reason why I managed to get an offer.
crustiboyy123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ErvinBoyes)
Just thought I'd post an update on this thread in case anyone comes across it and is wondering if I managed to get an offer because I remember trying to find similar threads to mine to look for an answer. I did manage to get an offer with A*AB in graphic communication, history and economics respectively, so I was quite fortunate really. My advice to anyone in a similar situation is to just spend a lot of time on your personal statement as I think this is the only reason why I managed to get an offer.
Hi, could you let me know what uni/ course you applied of because i am in your position to apply this year, thanks alot
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by crustiboyy123)
Hi, could you let me know what uni/ course you applied of because i am in your position to apply this year, thanks alot
LSE BSc Economic History
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (81)
61.83%
No (50)
38.17%

Watched Threads