Scared to go uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m going off to DMU this year to do paramedicine but I’m so scared, I don’t know anyone there at all and I don’t have any family there. I’ll be living in the waterway gardens
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m going off to DMU this year to do paramedicine but I’m so scared, I don’t know anyone there at all and I don’t have any family there. I’ll be living in the waterway gardens
It's normal to feel nervous, have you joined some facebook groups to look for people on your course?
De Montfort University
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there, Laura here! :hello:

It's totally normal to feel nervous before heading to university, especially if you feel far from home. But remember that everyone is in the same boat and fresher's week and courses really help promote opportunities for students to get to know one another. There's also a tonne of societies where you can meet people that have similar interests to you.

In the meantime, you could also join the official DMU facebook group and get to know some of your classmates: https://www.facebook.com/groups/224724271556214/

- Laura
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Anonymous #1 :hello:

It is totally normal to feel nervous about moving away from home to a new place and starting university. Try not to worry, you will soon settle in, make new friends and get used to living away. Just remember your family and friends are only a phone call away if you need to speak with them - and there is always video calling too! You can also travel home on weekends and/or holidays, or ask your family and friends to come and visit you.

There should also be lots of support offered at your chosen university. For example, we have a Student Development and Well being department with dedicated staff who you can talk to if you are feeling homesick and a counselling service for any other issues. I'm sure other universities will offer something similar and will be happy to inform you of their services once you arrive at university.

Hope this helps
Amy.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Dont know anything about DMU, but personally i think knowing zero people is best.

I went to Uni & new no one. Turned up and just had to find my own group of all new mates, but within a few hours i was down the pub with a group of people i'd never met before (and neither had anyone else) yet here i am 5 years later and some of them are still my best friends (and some i don't speak to anymore) but i had a great time at undergrad and met everyone on arrival.

Its cliche but everyone is in the same boat, between your halls/flat, course, societys/sports, and just randomly meeting people its very easy to find a great group of mates. You'll probably be very nervous until you arrive, this is natural but it will go very very fast and be an unbelievable 3 or 4 years!
BenjaminPrice94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I was terrified of going to uni, I mean I’m 25 and most of the other students would be 18 so would have nothing in common. Well that’s what was going through my mind back in July/August last year. Even the people I would be living with just gave me anxiety.

But everything I idea of what I thought it was going to be like was far from it. My lectures were mixed ages and a few others older than me and even the people I live with are so awesome and have just for a house with them.

I’ve just passed my first year and can honestly say that it was the best thing I ever did and no doubt, what you will do. Meeting new people is scary but just be yourself!

We always like to fear the worst so we can prepare the outcome but if there’s one thing I’ve learned is to just go with the flow and just think that everyone else is in the same position.

Hope you enjoy uni 🙌🏼
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads