mocha520
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In the haber process, about 10% of the unreacted gases consists of argon. Which method could best be used to extract argon from the mixture of unreacted gases?

A absorption of the hydrogen on platinum

B fractional distillation of the liquefied unreacted gases

C reacting the hydrogen catalytically with oxygen and removal of the water formed

D reacting the hydrogen by sparking with oxygen and removal of the water formed

Explanation would be appreciated, thanks!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mocha520)
In the haber process, about 10% of the unreacted gases consists of argon. Which method could best be used to extract argon from the mixture of unreacted gases?

C reacting the hydrogen catalytically with oxygen and removal of the water formed

Which gases make up the other 90% if 10% is argon?
Do any of the choices deal with the other (two) extra gases?
mocha520
Rep:
?
are the gases hydrogen and nitrogen? i don't really understand.
(Original post by charco)
Which gases make up the other 90% if 10% is argon?
Do any of the choices deal with the other (two) extra gases?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
are the gases hydrogen and nitrogen? i don't really understand.
In order to address the question you need to know the Haber process. You should look it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process
David Tan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Option A is wrong. Hydrogen doesn't get absorbed on to platinum. It gets adsorbed.
Option C is wrong. The reaction of hydrogen with oxygen is just a combustion of hydrogen and it does not require a catalyst.
Option D is wrong. In the Haber process, we have hydrogen, nitrogen and ammonia gases. At sufficiently high temperature, nitrogen gas may also react with oxygen to form oxides of nitrogen.

Option B is the answer. In general, to separate gases based on the difference in their boiling points, we would perform fractional distillation. As the temperature decreases, the gas with the highest boiling point would be liquified first. Boiling point of ammonia = -33.34 °C, argon = -185.8 °C, nitrogen = -195.8 °C, hydrogen = -252.9 °C. The order of gas removal is: ammonia > argon > nitrogen > hydrogen.

The Haber process is a reversible reaction and its forward reaction is exothermic. Any reduction in temperature will have an effect on its equilibrium constant and also its position of equilibrium. Therefore before performing fractional distillation, the gases must be removed from the Haber process.

Hope it helps. Cheers.
mocha520
Rep:
?
Ohhh I see, thanks a lot
(Original post by David Tan)
Option A is wrong. Hydrogen doesn't get absorbed on to platinum. It gets adsorbed.
Option C is wrong. The reaction of hydrogen with oxygen is just a combustion of hydrogen and it does not require a catalyst.
Option D is wrong. In the Haber process, we have hydrogen, nitrogen and ammonia gases. At sufficiently high temperature, nitrogen gas may also react with oxygen to form oxides of nitrogen.

Option B is the answer. In general, to separate gases based on the difference in their boiling points, we would perform fractional distillation. As the temperature decreases, the gas with the highest boiling point would be liquified first. Boiling point of ammonia = -33.34 °C, argon = -185.8 °C, nitrogen = -195.8 °C, hydrogen = -252.9 °C. The order of gas removal is: ammonia > argon > nitrogen > hydrogen.

The Haber process is a reversible reaction and its forward reaction is exothermic. Any reduction in temperature will have an effect on its equilibrium constant and also its position of equilibrium. Therefore before performing fractional distillation, the gases must be removed from the Haber process.

Hope it helps. Cheers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (40)
22.73%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (86)
48.86%
I'm unsure (50)
28.41%

Watched Threads