Samirawardhere
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I really am struggling when it comes to languages. I just don’t understand and my teacher is so useless like it’s been 4 years and I know nothing.
I do Spanish GCSE
elizamunday02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Samirawardhere)
I really am struggling when it comes to languages. I just don’t understand and my teacher is so useless like it’s been 4 years and I know nothing.
I do Spanish GCSE
I took Spanish gcse a year early and it was my favourite subject so here goes. Honestly with languages, you probably know more than you think. I had that problem with German. I was paranoid that I couldn’t speak it, so I was really reluctant to try. Fortunately there’s so many ways to revise other than doing past papers of course. For any language gcse, you need to know the vocab list, the grammar and a few flashy phrases to throw in and impress the examiner. So find a great grammar book - CGP is definitely best - and look up phrases/ idioms online or on quizlet. Once you’ve learnt this and the vocab list on the specification , you’re really 3/4 way there. For fluency, I recommend watching a Spanish movie or tv show or a Spanish Youtuber. Also just talk to yourself in the language, and whenever you don’t know how to say something, look it up in a dictionary (the Linguee app is perfect because it has so many examples with the translation). Hope that helps a little bit!
Samirawardhere
Rep:
?
(Original post by elizamunday02)
I took Spanish gcse a year early and it was my favourite subject so here goes. Honestly with languages, you probably know more than you think. I had that problem with German. I was paranoid that I couldn’t speak it, so I was really reluctant to try. Fortunately there’s so many ways to revise other than doing past papers of course. For any language gcse, you need to know the vocab list, the grammar and a few flashy phrases to throw in and impress the examiner. So find a great grammar book - CGP is definitely best - and look up phrases/ idioms online or on quizlet. Once you’ve learnt this and the vocab list on the specification , you’re really 3/4 way there. For fluency, I recommend watching a Spanish movie or tv show or a Spanish Youtuber. Also just talk to yourself in the language, and whenever you don’t know how to say something, look it up in a dictionary (the Linguee app is perfect because it has so many examples with the translation). Hope that helps a little bit!
Thank you so much. I definitely will be trying all this.
lottielsie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I do Spanish GCSE
I did Spanish GCSE this Summer!
Here are some tips!
- Do practice reading questions, which can be self-marked!
- Use Memrise's Spanish GCSE courses to memorise vocab! You can get it as an app and it's free!
- Do some practice writing questions, which you can either mark yourself, or give to your teacher (If she would actually help lol)
- Listen to Spanish music and watch Spanish TV. I did this to help with language immersion. It really helps to become familiar with the sound of the language. (You can use English subs :lol:)
- If you have the money, it is useful to get a tutor if you feel your teacher is not good enough, or you need extra support. As they are quite often Spanish it really helps your speaking skills. (You don't need an expensive one though, and sometimes you can find another student who can do it cheaply or for free as work experience)

[Loads of practice questions can be found online, or in your textbook, if you have one]
[If you have Netflix, 'Elite' is a good Spanish TV Show, or you can watch other TV and Films with Spanish Audio]

Hope this helped! and Good Luck Studying!! :lep:
Samirawardhere
Rep:
?
(Original post by lottielsie)
I did Spanish GCSE this Summer!
Here are some tips!
- Do practice reading questions, which can be self-marked!
- Use Memrise's Spanish GCSE courses to memorise vocab! You can get it as an app and it's free!
- Do some practice writing questions, which you can either mark yourself, or give to your teacher (If she would actually help lol)
- Listen to Spanish music and watch Spanish TV. I did this to help with language immersion. It really helps to become familiar with the sound of the language. (You can use English subs :lol:)
- If you have the money, it is useful to get a tutor if you feel your teacher is not good enough, or you need extra support. As they are quite often Spanish it really helps your speaking skills. (You don't need an expensive one though, and sometimes you can find another student who can do it cheaply or for free as work experience)

[Loads of practice questions can be found online, or in your textbook, if you have one]
[If you have Netflix, 'Elite' is a good Spanish TV Show, or you can watch other TV and Films with Spanish Audio]

Hope this helped! and Good Luck Studying!! :lep:
Definitely will be taking this on board. Thank you so much
lottielsie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Definitely will be taking this on board. Thank you so much
No problem!
lucexo-1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Try to constantly engage with the language. For example, if you see a car in the street say in your head 'hay un coche'. This way you'll get used to the language and become more comfortable using it in the exam. Also, set either Instagram or your whole phone to Spanish. It's something you're very familiar with so should be able to remember what each thing is, and phones are a part of the GCSE Spanish spec so you'll get used to another topic! Ask your teacher if you can see them maybe once a week to practise your accent and fluency in speaking for the exam as you actually get marks for your accent and the spontinaity of your responses in the speaking exam.
Samirawardhere
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucexo-1)
Try to constantly engage with the language. For example, if you see a car in the street say in your head 'hay un coche'. This way you'll get used to the language and become more comfortable using it in the exam. Also, set either Instagram or your whole phone to Spanish. It's something you're very familiar with so should be able to remember what each thing is, and phones are a part of the GCSE Spanish spec so you'll get used to another topic! Ask your teacher if you can see them maybe once a week to practise your accent and fluency in speaking for the exam as you actually get marks for your accent and the spontinaity of your responses in the speaking exam.
Thankyou!!!
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Have a look at the spec to see what you need to know as there should be a list of vocabulary and grammar topics on there. Vocab learning wise I'd recommend using either Memrise or Quizlet. As for grammar, if you search for the topic you're trying to study on Youtube, you'll probably be able to find a lot of videos of people explaining how it works and how to use it.

Practise with as many past papers as you can. It doesn't matter if they're not from the same spec or the same exam board as a language is a language.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads