Haven’t driven in a year. Mistake to rent a car for long journey? Watch

PizzaSlice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I need to pick something up. It’s large and costs a lot of money. I don’t have anyone who can pick it up for me. It is located about 3 hours from me.

I was thinking about renting a car however I have not driven in 13 months. I am (was?) a competent driver passing first time with no minors. I was thinking of renting an automatic car and driving up to get it myself.

Do you think this is a bad idea? I personally think I would be okay and have located a route that avoids motorways and is only half an hour longer, but I want some outside opinions.

Thank you for your advice.
Davy611
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Did you pass in an automatic? Is it possible to get a bit of practise with someone you trust prior to the journey? Aren't the delivery charges cheaper than renting a car?
PizzaSlice
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks for your reply. I passed in a manual but have driven automatics and find them much easier, no worries about clutch control etc.

I can’t get it delivered as it’s too expensive and fragile. No car to practice on as my parents cars are leases from their work and I can’t be put on the insurance. Also none of my friends have cars I can practice with.
(Original post by Davy611)
Did you pass in an automatic? Is it possible to get a bit of practise with someone you trust prior to the journey? Aren't the delivery charges cheaper than renting a car?
Davy611
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah. Well, if it's the only option then you're going to have to go for it. The only other thing I can think of is a single lesson refresher with a friendly driving instructor. I'm sure they're familiar with the type of situation you describe. Best of luck and be careful.
Josh279
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As long as you are old enough to rent, sure why not?
Admit-One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sounds like you don’t have any choice anyway. Just take it easy.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Take someone with you if you can as it's one less thing to think about if they do the directions. And take lots of breaks. You're new to driving again so even 1-1.5 hours is gonna feel long and tiring.
PizzaSlice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josh279)
As long as you are old enough to rent, sure why not?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Sounds like you don’t have any choice anyway. Just take it easy.
(Original post by doodle_333)
Take someone with you if you can as it's one less thing to think about if they do the directions. And take lots of breaks. You're new to driving again so even 1-1.5 hours is gonna feel long and tiring.
Thank you all for your advice. I came up with something of a solution. I’ve just joined a local car club and am able to rent a car right away for an hour or so to get a little practice before setting out on Monday.

Hopefully I’m not too rusty!
Davy611
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Excellent. Very sensible.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PizzaSlice)
Thank you all for your advice. I came up with something of a solution. I’ve just joined a local car club and am able to rent a car right away for an hour or so to get a little practice before setting out on Monday.

Hopefully I’m not too rusty!
Great idea. At the least you'll know a bit better if you feel up to the drive or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads