The Student Room Group

Should i take 5 A-levels?

I'm in year 11 and I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Computer Science and AS Further Maths.

I was told AS levels are 'easier' than a full A-level so that's why i picked FM- even though i don't really need it for my career plan (hopefully a mix between chemistry and computing).

I am quite good at maths, and apparently it's important.
I really like Chemistry and Computing so that's not changing.
Biology because i want to keep my options open with possibly medicine (i know bio is not needed at uni for this but it will help).

Is this too much? I would consider myself quite an able student but then again, i don't know if I'm taking on too much.
Reply 1
trust me taking 4 is a pain. i take maths.FM.Physics and chemistry. its hard. DONT do 5 unless you are next level clever
Original post by BadManNik43
I'm in year 11 and I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Computer Science and AS Further Maths.

I was told AS levels are 'easier' than a full A-level so that's why i picked FM- even though i don't really need it for my career plan (hopefully a mix between chemistry and computing).

I am quite good at maths, and apparently it's important.
I really like Chemistry and Computing so that's not changing.
Biology because i want to keep my options open with possibly medicine (i know bio is not needed at uni for this but it will help).

Is this too much? I would consider myself quite an able student but then again, i don't know if I'm taking on too much.
I was told I can only do 3 but if my GCSE grades come out really good then I can do 4 but iv never heard of doing 5. It will be a lot of work. You’ll have to be very disciplined
Do not do 5. Some of the smartest people I know (got a straight set of 9s in their GCSEs, applying for oxbridge etc) took four and had to drop down to three after about three months as it was far too much work and they were having a complete breakdown. Take chemistry, maths, and computer science. AS is a waste of your time tbh
Reply 4
do not do it, if you must take 4 at most. I would personally drop biology as you mentioned it isn't needed and drop further maths as you are already planning to take maths. Also remember it is a massive jump from taking GCSEs to Alevels and you will already be pressured with 3 subjects let alone any more.

Quick Reply

Latest