OliverVersini
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi! I'm an EU student and I'm planning to go to university in the UK in 2020. I picked History and Politics as my course, I'm just not sure which uni would be right for me. I went through rankings and websites of the universities, but I could really use some info from people who have real experience with those unis.

I think I'm gonna go with St Andrews (they offer free tuition for EU students) as my reach and I'm seriously considering Birmingham and Lancaster as my match unis, but I need to choose the third one (from Newcastle, Loughborough, York, Leeds, Sheffield and Exeter) and then I want to choose either Swansea, Northumbria or Manchester Metropolitan as my safety pick.

I'd be grateful for any info when it comes to the community, classes, accommodation or reputation of the universities. Also, which of these unis would you pick? Thanks for any help!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by OliverVersini)
Hi! I'm an EU student and I'm planning to go to university in the UK in 2020. I picked History and Politics as my course, I'm just not sure which uni would be right for me. I went through rankings and websites of the universities, but I could really use some info from people who have real experience with those unis.

I think I'm gonna go with St Andrews (they offer free tuition for EU students) as my reach and I'm seriously considering Birmingham and Lancaster as my match unis, but I need to choose the third one (from Newcastle, Loughborough, York, Leeds, Sheffield and Exeter) and then I want to choose either Swansea, Northumbria or Manchester Metropolitan as my safety pick.

I'd be grateful for any info when it comes to the community, classes, accommodation or reputation of the universities. Also, which of these unis would you pick? Thanks for any help!
Your range is too large with regard to reputation. It would be extremely rare for a UK student to ever put St Andrews on the same application as Manchester Met or Northumbria, for example. If you're predicted mainly A grades, you don't need to go as low as those unis.
OliverVersini
Rep:
?
Thank you! That sounds really reasonable.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think the first issue to decide is the kin of location you want to live in St Andrews is very small and difficult to get into for EC students. As you get free tuition in Scotland they have very strict quotas for EC students. Only a small amount get in and they usually need very high grades far in excess of the minimum grades shown. Every year numerous students come on here often having exceeded their grades but getting rejected by Scottish universities.

Lancaster is a small city bigger than St Andrews and would fit should you want a smaller city. Birmingham is a huge city if that is what you need.

Exeter and York are very good for history and politics and are still smallish cities and Loughborough is smaller.

Sheffield and Leeds are very big cities and Newcastle a fair bit smaller. Swansea is slightly smaller than Newcastle.

If you want smallish environments then St Andrews( be aware its risky), Lancaster, York and Exeter would be ideal and all are good for your subjects. I would also consider Durham.

If you are looking for bigger cities try Birmingham, Leeds Sheffield and Newcastle.

Swansea would be fine as your final choice although somewhere like Reading, Royal Holloway, and East Anglia might also be worth looking at. If you want a bigger city try Sussex or maybe Cardiff.

Thank you! That sounds really reasonable.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Assuming your applying through UCAS, you can pick 5 Unis at application level, and then once you get offers/rejections you select a firm choice and an insurance choice University. (if you have you're grades then you can just select 1 Uni)

I agree with other posters, if you have a realistic chance at St Andrews or York or Birmingham, then Manchester met, swansea, northumbria are not worth considering.
OliverVersini
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your responses! When it comes to grades I expect to finish with straight A's... since I'm not the UK student, I'm just not sure what does it mean for me and what are my chances to get in
Can I just also ask if you know in which of those places is a good chance of finding a part-time job? Because for example St Andrews is really small so I probably can't expect many job oppoturnities there, right?
Last edited by OliverVersini; 3 months ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I dont think anybody is going enough about all these places in detail but most will have jobs going part-time is shops and bars. Universities often have restrictions on the hours students can work to ensure they can keep up with their work. universities usually advertise part time jobs.
Thank you so much for your responses! When it comes to grades I expect to finish with straight A's...
Can I just also ask if you know in which of those places is a good chance of finding a part-time job? Because for example St Andrews is really small so I probably can't expect many job oppoturnities there, right?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If St Andrews is an option, have you considered Oxford, or one of the London universities?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 months ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much for your responses! When it comes to grades I expect to finish with straight A's... since I'm not the UK student, I'm just not sure what does it mean for me and what are my chances to get in
With straight A predictions, I can't see you having a problem getting offers at any of the unis you have mentioned, with the possible exception of St Andrews because of the free tuition thing. You were aiming too low with Man Met, Northumbria and Swansea, but the others are all good options for you.

As far as part time jobs goes, there tend to be more options in bigger cities as you would expect. My daughter found it hard to get a part time job in Lancaster, for example, - there weren't many opportunities in town only really on campus (although she loved her time there and it is a cheap place to live compared to somewhere like Exeter, let alone London).
Jasminlucia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
honestly, people from my class applied with 45/45 points predicted from the EU to St. Andrews and no one got an offer. If I were you I'd also consider Edinburgh as the likelihood that you will get an offer from St. Andrews is extremely low due to the fees.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How to avoid 5 Rejections (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections) includes this advice :

Ideally this is what your five university course choices should look like on UCAS:
* 1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades
* 2 or 3 choices - at your predicted grades
* 1 or 2 choices - below your predicted grade
Not only will you be likely to end up with more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice later on in the year. If you have no 'lower' offers at that stage you have no fall-back choice to ensure you still have a uni place if things your exams don't go to plan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads