Introducing TSRMedics™ - a site wide initiative to stimulate interest in medicine Watch

ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago

Have you ever thought about

- how songs can influence human behaviour and physiological parameters?
- the psychology of everyday life e.g why there's no clocks in a supermarket?
- the accuracy of medicine as protrayed in the media?
- neuroscience behind consciousness / decision making?
- how drugs are being discovered?
- why and how does cancer actually kill?
- how to become a sports doctor / physiotherapist?
(and so, so much more)

Now it's your chance to have your questions answered. :yay:

Introducing TSRMedics - a new section on TSR to stimulate debate and interest in Medicine and related health sciences, with input from medics, students and other allied healthcare professionals.

There will be weekly themes on different parts of the body (e.g. heart week), different specialties (e.g. paediatrics week) and different health sciences careers (e.g. Occupational Therapy week).

We will be posting in different parts of the forum - depending on the theme of the threads (Philosophy / Entertainment / News and current affairs etc.).

Let us know if you are interested, and suggest some questions for us!

What TSRMedics is not:
- a place to ask a doctor / nurse questions (there is a Health section on TSR - but it's for discussion of Health issues NOT diagnosis)
- a place to ask Medical / Dental / Nursing etc. admission questions (there are sections for those things on TSR)

This thread will be updated with upcoming / previous TSRMedics™ sections and their links for ease of access.

TSRMedics BASICS
TSRMedics JOURNALclub
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
ohuaacnb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anything neurology related :heart:
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not an aspiring med student, but would be interested to learn some of the science for a laugh.
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohuaacnb)
Anything neurology related :heart:
:ta: for your suggestion.

Can you be any more specific?

There will definitely be a neurology week (possibly month :rofl: ) and a brain week at some point.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This sounds interesting
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I want to axe a question - see in chemotherapy how WBC count decreases to dangerously low levels - could we not take a sample of blood from the person before chemotherapy and extract the WBCs and clone (like how in labs how specific WBCs are cultured to mass produce antibodies) and inject them into the body so they can replace the WBCs lost due to chemotherapy

that way we don't have to worry about them getting an infection - yes I know antibiotics can be used, but surely a functioning immune system is better than broad spectrum antibiotics
Last edited by 134841422; 2 months ago
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)

(and so, so much more)

Introducing TSRMedics - a new section on TSR to stimulate debate and interest in Medicine and related health sciences, with input from medics, students and other allied healthcare professionals.

There will be weekly themes on different parts of the body (e.g. heart week), different specialties (e.g. paediatrics week) and different health sciences careers (e.g. Occupational Therapy week).

We will be posting in different parts of the forum - depending on the theme of the threads (Philosophy / Entertainment / News and current affairs etc.).

This thread will be updated with upcoming / previous TSRMedics™ threads and their links for ease of access.
nice to see the thread's live
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Can you be any more specific?

There will definitely be a neurology week (possibly month :rofl: ) and a brain week at some point.
It’s almost as if you have a vested interest in all things neurological
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by 134841422)
I want to axe a question - see in chemotherapy how WBC count decreases to dangerously low levels - could we not take a sample of blood from the person before chemotherapy and extract the WBCs and clone (like how in labs how specific WBCs are cultured to mass produce antibodies) and inject them into the body so they can replace the WBCs lost due to chemotherapy

I will be sure to tag you in when this question is made into a thread for discussion

*For now, read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemato...ransplantation (which is what I think you asked for - it already exists :yay: )
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
I promise I am not paid by the Association of British Neurologists :rofl:

It's not just Neurology here though, it's every medical / allied specialty :yes:
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by quasa)
nice to see the thread's live
:ta:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think talking about vaccinations could be an issue to discuss (with the increase in parents refusing to vaccinate and recent news about lesbians refusing cervirax and guardasil vaccines, it could be worth looking into - also possibly talk about HPV and how to minimise the risk of it spreading to genital regions).
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I will be sure to tag you in when this question is made into a thread for discussion

*For now, read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemato...ransplantation (which is what I think you asked for - it already exists :yay: )
that's pretty cool, but I was thinking of already matured WBC rather than the stem cells - they would probably not last as long but wouldn't be as dangerous since you would just inject them into the bloodstream
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I promise I am not paid by the Association of British Neurologists :rofl:

It's not just Neurology here though, it's every medical / allied specialty :yes:
Oh I know

I’m a critical care outreach nurse, so have an interest in most things, I look forwards to seeing what discussion pops up
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
another topic possibly is to mention about pharmacy being more than selling drugs behind the counter
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is a brilliant thread: did you think of it ecolier or was it a general TSR brainwave?

(and so, so much more)

This thread will be updated with upcoming / previous TSRMedics™ threads and their links for ease of access.
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by quasa)
I think talking about vaccinations could be an issue to discuss (with the increase in parents refusing to vaccinate and recent news about lesbians refusing cervirax and guardasil vaccines, it could be worth looking into - also possibly talk about HPV and how to minimise the risk of it spreading to genital regions).

(Original post by 134841422)
that's pretty cool, but I was thinking of already matured WBC rather than the stem cells - they would probably not last as long but wouldn't be as dangerous since you would just inject them into the bloodstream
Don't think that WBCs can be taken out of the body and reinjected just like that - stem cell is the next best thing. Plus a filter big enough for WBCs could potentially let cancer cells through. Anyway we'll leave that discussion to when the thread comes!!

Oh I know

I’m a critical care outreach nurse, so have an interest in most things, I look forwards to seeing what discussion pops up
:five:

(Original post by quasa)
another topic possibly is to mention about pharmacy being more than selling drugs behind the counter
:ta: Excellent idea!

(Original post by Oxford Mum)
This is a brilliant thread: did you think of it ecolier or was it a general TSR brainwave?
Mine (Just ran it past the boss and she agreed ) :ta: @Oxford Mum
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It shows great initiative and gives people the chance to meander happily down the winding river of medical discussion.

Bravo! :king1:

Don't think that WBCs can be taken out of the body and reinjected just like that - stem cell is the next best thing. Plus a filter big enough for WBCs could potentially let cancer cells through. Anyway we'll leave that discussion to when the thread comes!!

Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Will show it to my son. He'll love it.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
15.38%
Disagree (0)
0%
Neither agree or disagree (3)
23.08%
Agree (4)
30.77%
Strongly Agree (4)
30.77%

Watched Threads