Turn on thread page Beta

Subletting Issues watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know subletting is illegal, but i'll be living in the same student house next year and considering paying my landlord full rent for the summer so that one of my other student mates can live in my house for a while. What are the laws on subletting, I mean what will happen if I get caught, has anyone been caught before?

ReputationRep:
    If you've signed a contract, there's usually a clause to say that you can't sublet, and if you do you invalidate the contract. So, the worst thing that could happen is that the landlord finds out and you loose your place. Also, remember that YOU will be responsible should your mate turn out to be less of a mate than you think ... so any damage will come out of your deposit. Remember too that there's going to be utilities bills, which will have to be set up in someone's name. You can't give the name of the subletter, so can you and your mates trust whoever it is that moves in not to run up massive bills? I really wouldn't do this behind the landlord's back (so to speak), as I really doubt that you'll get away with not being found out. It may be that your landlord doesn't mind, but it may be that they get really annoyed. You won't know till you've done it and is it worth loosing your place over?

Tbh, you're pretty lucky to have the option not to pay full rent for the summer to 'hold' the room. Personally, I'd take advantage of that. I'd also prefer not to have the hassle of worrying what someone else is doing to 'my' house and 'my' bills all summer, but of course that's just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    are you gonna be charging your mate, if not then its just letting them crash as opposed to subletting i guess

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.