The Student Room Group

Feminists now want pay rises for not even coming into Work!!

Poll

Should this woman get a pay rise even thought she hasn't been working?

Hi guys, I'm absolutely all for equality of opportunity, it is a wonderful thing. But I've noticed that feminists have no understanding of this concept and I find it absolutely insulting and very concerning that they think they can make demands like this.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3528465-Pay-Discrimination

https://i.imgur.com/f7GU4gI.png

So she's been on maternity leave and found that couple of other people have had £2k pay rises while she has been away and kept her salary.

So other people have been coming in everyday, on time, working hard, exceeding expectations, working overtime, covering her work, delivering projects on time and she believes more than them, she is deserving of a pay rise when she hasn't been there and has contributed nothing??

Why should she get a pay rise on the back of other people's hard work?

I work in finance at the moment and I study and we get performance evaluations and then it is decided if we get a pay rise and by how much. This is the corporate world, not some sort of fairy land where everyone gets pay rises everyday and bakes cookies all day.

Guys please tell me if what I'm saying is wrong in anyway, but I'm sure most will see it as I see it. I, as well as most I'm sure, would be pretty damn peeved off if someone got a pay rise from my hard work whilst doing nothing themselves.

Honestly, feminism was supposed to be about equality, but it's now turning into inequality where everyone else bends over backwards so feminists can have a free pass through life.
it's just a few lasses on Mumsnet...
Wow, this guy must be having a slow day. Finding a post on Mumsnet definitely represents the whole of feminism as a whole. I guess a comment on Stormfront or Breitbart must represent every white conservative then.
its just stupid aspiring housewives who want this - ignore it
She problem not very good at her job
Original post by Obolinda
it's just a few lasses on Mumsnet...
That's essentially what they're asking for when they whine about the gender wage gap.
Wow, OP definitely not showing any agenda there... If it's an annual rise across the team she's entitled to it as well, you can't discriminate against someone in pay for having recently been pregnant. If it's just discretionary rises for those two, she's still within her rights to negotiate a pay rise if she believes that she's worth X amount more than her subordinate. This is nothing to do with feminism, and certainly nothing to do with equality of opportunity (not that that actually exists without tackling structural inequality that blocks said opportunity - just saying "legally you're not barred from doing this" isn't equality of opportunity, like a lot of conservatives seem to think)
Original post by conservative7
I work in finance at the moment and I study and we get performance evaluations and then it is decided if we get a pay rise and by how much.

What you're describing is a discretionary pay rise, where individual employees are assessed on individual merits for a pay rise. What the woman in question is describing (possibly, it's not really clear from the post) is a pay rise across the board, where a whole department or rank of employees see their pay increased simultaneously.
She did only mention two colleagues so it's near impossible for any of us plebs to say if it was team-wide or just coincidental discretionary rises.

Which makes overall assessment of OP's post relatively easy:
1. If it was team wide then she's already legally entitled to challenge this so what "feminists" would be wanting in this case would be equality under the law. Pretty reasonable, I'd say.
2. If it wasn't team wide then yeah she's moaning about nothing.
3. Unsure one lass on mumsnet moaning about her pay has anything to do with feminism. The only criteria for using mumsnet is being a mum. Not even a good mum.
The law states you can't discriminate against women or men on maternity/paternity leave. If the men were doing the same job as her, she should have had the same payrise. Simples. Same applies if a man were on paternity, but funnily enough, that never seems to happen does it? Why don't more men take time off to have kids? Maybe it is because men get paid more so have to work to support the family. That was the case in my family.
based on our current principles of maternity cover, if she didn't recieve a pay rise that the rests of her collegues did then yes she has a reason to feel unfairly treated. If it were a performance based pay-rise that only some of her collegues recieved, then she has less of a case, but there is still logic to her arguement.

My issue is that in general I think materity cover is an absolute disaster of a policy that doesn't fit our modern society at all. It quickly needs to be replaced by a policy that actually incentivises mothers or fathers to stay at home and raise their children, rather than pushing them back into work as soon as legally allowed.
Original post by ByEeek
The law states you can't discriminate against women or men on maternity/paternity leave. If the men were doing the same job as her, she should have had the same payrise. Simples. Same applies if a man were on paternity, but funnily enough, that never seems to happen does it? Why don't more men take time off to have kids? Maybe it is because men get paid more so have to work to support the family. That was the case in my family.

But why do they get paid more? Men work longer hours and choose higher paid careers.

Also many companies have a sexist mat/paternity policy. At my company for example, maternity leave is 18 weeks full pay and paternity leave is 2 weeks statutory pay. So if a couple has a child it's a no brainer that the woman looks after it.
Original post by Student-95
But why do they get paid more? Men work longer hours and choose higher paid careers.

Also many companies have a sexist mat/paternity policy. At my company for example, maternity leave is 18 weeks full pay and paternity leave is 2 weeks statutory pay. So if a couple has a child it's a no brainer that the woman looks after it.

Men don't choose higher paid careers as much as careers that are male dominated are treated as being of higher value (look at the pay for medical staff in places like the UK vs places like Russia, where it's seen as a feminine profession).
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Men don't choose higher paid careers as much as careers that are male dominated are treated as being of higher value (look at the pay for medical staff in places like the UK vs places like Russia, where it's seen as a feminine profession).

Sure they do. Even if you believe that's how high paid careers started out, they have been high paid for a while so there's been plenty of time for women to move into them but they choose not to.
Original post by conservative7
Hi guys, I'm absolutely all for equality of opportunity, it is a wonderful thing. But I've noticed that feminists have no understanding of this concept and I find it absolutely insulting and very concerning that they think they can make demands like this.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3528465-Pay-Discrimination

https://i.imgur.com/f7GU4gI.png

So she's been on maternity leave and found that couple of other people have had £2k pay rises while she has been away and kept her salary.

So other people have been coming in everyday, on time, working hard, exceeding expectations, working overtime, covering her work, delivering projects on time and she believes more than them, she is deserving of a pay rise when she hasn't been there and has contributed nothing??

Why should she get a pay rise on the back of other people's hard work?

I work in finance at the moment and I study and we get performance evaluations and then it is decided if we get a pay rise and by how much. This is the corporate world, not some sort of fairy land where everyone gets pay rises everyday and bakes cookies all day.

Guys please tell me if what I'm saying is wrong in anyway, but I'm sure most will see it as I see it. I, as well as most I'm sure, would be pretty damn peeved off if someone got a pay rise from my hard work whilst doing nothing themselves.

Honestly, feminism was supposed to be about equality, but it's now turning into inequality where everyone else bends over backwards so feminists can have a free pass through life.

You are getting enraged over mumsnet and you came across to TSR opened a new account to rage?
Fing hilarious.
The people on mumsnet do just seem to be very bored parents who did not realize before they their children how boring small children are and time consuming
Original post by 999tigger
You are getting enraged over mumsnet and you came across to TSR opened a new account to rage?
Fing hilarious.
Sure they do. Even if you believe that's how high paid careers started out, they have been high paid for a while so there's been plenty of time for women to move into them but they choose not to.

Almost like there's systematic discrimination designed to keep women out of those fields and choices aren't truly free. After all, women are underrepresented in STEM fields despite making up the majority of STEM graduates - http://www.aei.org/publication/gender-gap-in-stem-women-are-majority-of-stem-grad-students-and-they-earn-a-majority-of-stem-bachelors-degrees/ - because STEM environments do have a sexism problem.

Original post by looloo2134
The people on mumsnet do just seem to be very bored parents who did not realize before they their children how boring small children are and time consuming

They're more weird trolls. It gets referred to as prosecco 4chan for a reason

All you have said is true. However, as you put it, the big question is why? Why do women not aspire to or are able to hold down high paid careers?

And there are two possible answers.
1. Women are genetically pre-disposed to doing low paid work.
2. There is something about high paid jobs that puts women off.

Having worked in a male dominated industry that was once female dominated, I can understand why women are not attracted to become software devs.

Having seen my wife give up her career to have kids, I do wonder why in this technologically savy world we still have to work the family unfriendly hours of 9-5 in an office 5 days a week.

She is now retraining as a nurse because unlike thecrest of business, the NHS has figured out how to offer flexible working arrangements.

I also note that childcare is becoming the of reserve of the rich. Our local nursery charge around £1200 a month for 5 day a week care. That us more expensive than private schooling!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
They're more weird trolls. It gets referred to as prosecco 4chan for a reason

It's the opposite. There's systematic discrimination designed to get women into those fields.
It's the opposite. There's systematic discrimination designed to get women into those fields.

Absolutely not the case, within STEM professions there's still a large sexism problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending