Civil Service Written Analysis / Interview Watch

AdviceSeeking
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello Everybody,I have an upcoming written analysis and potential interview straight after the analysis if all goes well.I am just wondering if anyone has done anything similar to this or has been successful. If so, what are your tips to prepare? The sector will be in the Home Office with regards to Immigration. From the JD, I can see that Making Effective Decisions and Communicating and Influencing will be accessed in the written analysis whilst Delivering at Pace and Managing a Quality Service will be accessed in the interview.I have had experience in an interview with the Civil Service previously but was unsuccessful so roughly know how it goes but I am just wondering if you guys had anything to share about your experience/success.Thanks!
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Where is your interview? I have one for Liverpool HO on Wednesday
AdviceSeeking
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Mine will be in the Mecure hotel, how about yours?
(Original post by S1elyak1)
Where is your interview? I have one for Liverpool HO on Wednesday
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AdviceSeeking)
Mine will be in the Mecure hotel, how about yours?
Mine was also supposed to be in the Mercure Hotel in Liverpool but they told me I could not interview as I was on a reserve list for a different city for the same job.

My tip for the written assessment is do not rush it but make sure you have enough time to complete it. The person sat next to me looked like she has was halfway through her report when I hadn't even started mine... she did not make it to interview. Also highlight as you go along as it will make it 10x easier when it comes to starting the written part.

The interview is split up into two different sections, altogether it lasts about 45 minutes long.
The first interview questions were the two it says on the job advert, I can't remember which two off of the top of my head but they are competency based. I would suggest writing bullet points in a notebook and taking that in with you. They do not have a problem with you taking notes into an interview with you as long as you have not written the entire answer out and it is just a few notes to jog your memory. If you miss any information out the interviewers will prompt you. They want you to do well as much as you do.

The other half of the interview were strength based questions which you can't really prepare for. I found them pretty easy and got a great score from them. These questions are personal to you and are just a way of the interviewers to see your personality, don't worry too much about them!

Good luck with your interview
AdviceSeeking
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Thank you for your detailed response. I am very, very grateful and I wish you all the best and hopefully you will get that offer as soon as possible.

As you've already interviewed for this role at a different city, what happens with your current application? Are they still going to consider you in Liverpool?

Thank you very much for the tip, I was literally going to call them up in regards with if you were able to bring in notes/pencil case etc. and what you have said has definitely gave me a peace of mind.

I'm guessing the written analysis will be a detailed response to basically a for and against for the decision you make?

Kind Regards,
(Original post by S1elyak1)
Mine was also supposed to be in the Mercure Hotel in Liverpool but they told me I could not interview as I was on a reserve list for a different city for the same job.

My tip for the written assessment is do not rush it but make sure you have enough time to complete it. The person sat next to me looked like she has was halfway through her report when I hadn't even started mine... she did not make it to interview. Also highlight as you go along as it will make it 10x easier when it comes to starting the written part.

The interview is split up into two different sections, altogether it lasts about 45 minutes long.
The first interview questions were the two it says on the job advert, I can't remember which two off of the top of my head but they are competency based. I would suggest writing bullet points in a notebook and taking that in with you. They do not have a problem with you taking notes into an interview with you as long as you have not written the entire answer out and it is just a few notes to jog your memory. If you miss any information out the interviewers will prompt you. They want you to do well as much as you do.

The other half of the interview were strength based questions which you can't really prepare for. I found them pretty easy and got a great score from them. These questions are personal to you and are just a way of the interviewers to see your personality, don't worry too much about them!

Good luck with your interview
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AdviceSeeking)
Hello,

Thank you for your detailed response. I am very, very grateful and I wish you all the best and hopefully you will get that offer as soon as possible.

As you've already interviewed for this role at a different city, what happens with your current application? Are they still going to consider you in Liverpool?

Thank you very much for the tip, I was literally going to call them up in regards with if you were able to bring in notes/pencil case etc. and what you have said has definitely gave me a peace of mind.

I'm guessing the written analysis will be a detailed response to basically a for and against for the decision you make?

Kind Regards,
Thank you, I hope so too. I have applied for a different role within HO so now just hoping I make it to interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (38)
15.77%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (17)
7.05%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (17)
7.05%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (26)
10.79%
Monster Munch (18)
7.47%
Pringles (64)
26.56%
Walkers Oven Baked Crisps (15)
6.22%
Walkers Beef and Onion (3)
1.24%
Thai Sweet Chili Sensations (43)
17.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise