Turn on thread page Beta

wireless router troubles watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    my friends dad just bought us a new router for our uni house and its working for two of my housemates but not be. he bought it off ebay and with my housemate it just asked for a password (which we have) not a WEP key to type in, but when i try and access it it asks for the WEP key which we do not have and i don't know how to get.

i've accessed the router through the ip address but i cannot find the key anywhere and am wondering if im looking in the wrong place... or if theres something i can do on my laptop to make the wireless connection ask for a password and not the key. any help would be really appreciated,
    thanks in advance x

ReputationRep:
    http://www.wepkey.com/

Enter the plain text version and it'll convert for you.

ReputationRep:
    ah its just not working. i tried that last night and have tried it again but not one of the codes it comes up with for the 2 passwords i've been given work. this is v.frustrating
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    What make of router is it? BT Home Hub, NETGEAR etc?

ReputationRep:
    its a belkin wireless G plus MIMI router
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmm I'm not familiar with Belkin... perhaps read this, and if that doesn't work, the only thing I can suggest is to completely reset your router (there might be a switch somewhere?)

ReputationRep:
    absolute legend! found a video on that site that showed me how to do it. thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    Go to another persons computer that works on the router.

On the wireless/wired connection , click "Status"
    Check the gateway address under the support tab
    Type that in the address bar, and enter the username and password that you should have for the router
    On the router settings, go to wireless settings, and then set the wireless key to whatever you want, and set encryption to WPA-PSK.

When you set the wireless passwords, make sure you're doing on off a wired connection, then test the wireless with the new password.

Let me know if it works for you.

ReputationRep:
    As if I wrote out all of that
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by boho)
    absolute legend! found a video on that site that showed me how to do it. thanks so much!
    No problem

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.