TheBritishKoala's Busy Summer Challenge Watch

TheBritishKoala
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago

Hey guys! Welcome to my summer challenge!

I'm TheBritishKoala and this has been my longest summer break in ages. Even though I am partaking in Summer School for a month, my weekends are relatively free. So what better to do that compete in this summer challenge! And where better to do this than in a brand new city I'll be living in for the next 4 years of my life.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  318.0 KB

TSR's goals!

Some of these goals will be really easy for me to complete, but others we shall see how well it goes... Wish me luck~

1. Discover a new beach (UK or abroad)
2. Have a movie marathon day
3. Travel somewhere new (local or abroad... wherever)
4. Create something (fashion, art, music, creative writing or anything)
5. Visit a museum
6. Go for a long walk
7. Read a book you haven’t read before
8. Have a picnic
9. Try a new sport or fitness activity (and keep it up)
10. Go on a camping trip
11. Be the one in charge of cooking at a BBQ
12. Have a water fight
13. Have a well-being day (e.g. pamper day, doing whatever you enjoy etc.)
14. Try a new recipe
15. Make your ultimate summer playlist
16. Inspire others by suggesting a free/low-cost thing to do where you live in this thread
17. Go on a hike
18. Invent a new smoothie
19. Take part in a random act of kindness
20. Host a party, gathering or mini festival
21. Learn a new skill
22. Write a bucket list and see how much you can tick off by the end of summer
23. Volunteer somewhere
24. Do something towards getting your dream job (prep your CV, find apprenticeships/internships to apply to etc.)

My goals!

As found in my summer bucket list post linked above~

1. Give blood
2. Attend a wedding
3. Watch Studio Ghibli animated movies
4. Have a weekend away from work

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  201.8 KB

Thank you to everyone who's joining me on this adventure! If you wish to join my tag list feel free to ask anytime~

⁠— TheBritishKoala xx

Last edited by TheBritishKoala; 1 week ago
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Please tag me! Sounds like a good plan and I look forward to the updates!
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
Please tag me! Sounds like a good plan and I look forward to the updates!
Thank you! Looking forward to completing them! The first update will be up soon~
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?

Entry 1 - 30/06/2019!

So I managed to check off 2 of the goals in one go today! Hoping that is allowed haha. Anyways, today I decided to have an impromptu journey to a little town a 5-minute train journey outside of Dundee, called Broughty Ferry. Please note, I only planned this little adventure maybe an hour before the train was about to leave and 30 minutes after I woke up. Totally worth it though! So here is me checking off both 'discovering a new beach' and 'visiting somewhere new'.

Name:  Floral Arrangement.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  99.2 KB

Broughty Ferry!

So like I just said, today was the first time I have visited Broughty Ferry. It's a little coastal district just outside of Dundee, and I was meaning to visit it whilst I was down for Summer School. I bought the train tickets maybe an hour before it was due to depart and was surprised at how cheap they actually were (especially when I used my railcard too)! I spent maybe 3 hours or so looking around. Ends up it was actually the first day of the gala week there too so was surprisingly busy for a Sunday. Whilst there I found a quaint little cafe called Sweetpea Cafe and honestly it was so pleasingly aesthetic inside! I also went to a local charity shop and managed to pick up a cute little top, some shorts and a dress as a treat. This leads me to my next completed goal - discovering a new beach.

The beach!

So the beach was fairly small, but I was meaning to visit it even before I even discovered this challenge. This was actually the first thing I did when I arrived in Broughty Ferry despite it being a little treck away from the railway station. Whilst there I managed to find a nice small collection of various stones, pebbles, shells and sea glass to take back to my dorm with me. Although I had to improvise a little parcel using a handkerchief since I forgot an actual bag to put them in... It worked though! They were all pretty orange tones, so might use them in a little craft project when I return to my actual home.

— TheBritishKoala xx
Taglist: Themysticalegg
Last edited by TheBritishKoala; 2 weeks ago
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Loving the theme! :gah:

Tag me
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
Loving the theme! :gah:

Tag me
Thank you! And will do! :koala::heart:
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?
Entry 2 - 02/07/2019!

It's so weird to think we're in July already, this year seems to have gone by so fast! Here's my completion of yet another set goal - 'read a book you haven't read before'. This was quite easy for me since I'm an avid reader, to begin with, and had a new book I needed to read as part of my English Literature module at Summer School (more on that in a couple of weeks)! This was the first time for me reading any of Kafka's work and it was definitely up my street style-wise.

Name:  Floral Arrangement (1).jpg
Views: 14
Size:  84.1 KB

The Metamorphosis and Other Stories

"When the young salesman Gregor Samsa wakes up one morning transformed into a monstrous insect, his shock and incomprehension are coupled with the panic of being late for work and having to reveal his appearance to family and colleagues. Although over the following weeks he gradually becomes used to this new existence confined within the bounds of the apartment, and his parents and sister adapt to living with a grotesque bug, Gregor notices that their attitudes towards him are changing and he feels increasingly alienated."

Like I said earlier, part of this book was for my Summer School module. So although 'The Metamorphosis' was the only story of his we were looking at, the book had a whole compilation of his works. There is definitely something unique about the way he writes. Even just his creativity in general. However, some of the surrealism was kind of hard to understand as everything else seemed to be as normal in our world. I must admit this book really stuck to me throughout reading it though as my tastes wouldn't exactly be described as the most conventional - I did get a compilation of Poe for Christmas and 'Perfume' by Patrick Süskind for my 18th after all... Which I still have yet to read!

★★★★
— TheBritishKoala xx

Taglist: Themysticalegg 8472
Last edited by TheBritishKoala; 2 weeks ago
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?
Entry 3 - 04/07/2019!
So I was sick these last couple of days so wasn't able to do much, just my luck for summer huh? So in retrospect to this, I did something that makes me feel happy. Listening to music! This gave me the perfect opportunity to make my summer playlist so I hope you all enjoy listening to it! Just note: my music taste is all over the place, so expect a bit of everything and anything... So yeah might not be the best, I usually just put my music on shuffle and see what happens!

Name:  Floral Arrangement (2).jpg
Views: 13
Size:  33.7 KB

My summer playlist!

“Rockaway Beach” by the Ramones
"Ko Ko Bop" by EXO
"Broke" by Will Jay
"Pompeii" by Bastille
"Hotel California" by the Eagles
"Rebel Love Song" by Black Veil Brides
"Mamacita" by Super Junior
"She Said" by Sundara Karma
"House of Memories" by Panic! at the Disco
"Trouble Maker" by Trouble Maker

— TheBritishKoala xx
Taglist: Themysticalegg BurstingBubbles Interrobang 8472 MrDystopia CheeseIsVeg Changing Skies laurawatt Unlimited Cats ST Test User CoolCavy ThatsAGoodOne349 Michiyo qa-test123 RazzzBerries Paracosm Glaz
PilboBaggins
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yay amazing! Good luck.

I am absolutely loving the theme too - so pretty.

Subbing - can't wait to see what you get up to this summer.
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?
(Original post by PilboBaggins)
Yay amazing! Good luck.

I am absolutely loving the theme too - so pretty.

Subbing - can't wait to see what you get up to this summer.
Hey, thank you! I'll add you to the list~ And yes seems like my busiest summer yet! :koala::heart:
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
:woo: love the summer playlist
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Entry 4 - 07/07/2019!

Before anyone says anything - yes I know that technically the date is wrong... Reason being! My laptop played up during the time I was writing this, so should have been posted then. Good thing now though, you'll get 2 updates in one day! So expect another one later tonight. So I suppose you could say this in itself is ticking off 2 goals in 1 once again, but I am gonna include them separately anyway. I ended up going on a long evening walk exploring some of Dundee for the first one. Then the second one (although also a long walk involved also) I decided to treat myself on a wellbeing afternoon.

Dundee Evening Walk!
So as you can probably tell from the screenshots, I ended up going on a walk just over an hour-long around Dundee! Honestly, it didn't feel like an hour, and probably would have continued walking for longer if it wasn't for my asthma playing up. But yeah, I walked into the town centre itself before exploring down to the harbour kind of area. It's also next to the railroad and some warehouses. Note to self: take grungy photoshoots here when I start university officially.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  85.6 KB

My Pamper Afternoon!

Yesterday, one of our classes got dismissed as it was a film we needed to watch so just got to do it at the flats (also the lecturer had an appointment haha). So I decided to head into town early to get some small presents in for my parents and dog for when I return home next week. Whilst out I got myself a facemask and some eye cooling gel pads to use, before heading to a bookstore come cafe that my mum told me about over the phone. Honestly, it was absolutely beautiful! I managed to get a vintage Arthur Conan Doyle's "The White Company", so that'll keep me entertained on the train home next Friday. Whilst there I also got myself a slice of loaf cake and a full pot of tea for £4.20, so to say I was a happy Brit is an understatement!

Views: 11
Size:  57.1 KB

— TheBritishKoala xx
Taglist: Themysticalegg BurstingBubbles Interrobang 8472 MrDystopia CheeseIsVeg Changing Skies laurawatt Unlimited Cats ST Test User CoolCavy ThatsAGoodOne349 Michiyo qa-test123 RazzzBerries Paracosm
PilboBaggins
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheBritishKoala)
Entry 4 - 07/07/2019!

Before anyone says anything - yes I know that technically the date is wrong... Reason being! My laptop played up during the time I was writing this, so should have been posted then. Good thing now though, you'll get 2 updates in one day! So expect another one later tonight. So I suppose you could say this in itself is ticking off 2 goals in 1 once again, but I am gonna include them separately anyway. I ended up going on a long evening walk exploring some of Dundee for the first one. Then the second one (although also a long walk involved also) I decided to treat myself on a wellbeing afternoon.

Dundee Evening Walk!
So as you can probably tell from the screenshots, I ended up going on a walk just over an hour-long around Dundee! Honestly, it didn't feel like an hour, and probably would have continued walking for longer if it wasn't for my asthma playing up. But yeah, I walked into the town centre itself before exploring down to the harbour kind of area. It's also next to the railroad and some warehouses. Note to self: take grungy photoshoots here when I start university officially.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  85.6 KB

My Pamper Afternoon!

Yesterday, one of our classes got dismissed as it was a film we needed to watch so just got to do it at the flats (also the lecturer had an appointment haha). So I decided to head into town early to get some small presents in for my parents and dog for when I return home next week. Whilst out I got myself a facemask and some eye cooling gel pads to use, before heading to a bookstore come cafe that my mum told me about over the phone. Honestly, it was absolutely beautiful! I managed to get a vintage Arthur Conan Doyle's "The White Company", so that'll keep me entertained on the train home next Friday. Whilst there I also got myself a slice of loaf cake and a full pot of tea for £4.20, so to say I was a happy Brit is an understatement!

Views: 11
Size:  57.1 KB

— TheBritishKoala xx
Taglist: Themysticalegg BurstingBubbles Interrobang 8472 MrDystopia CheeseIsVeg Changing Skies laurawatt Unlimited Cats ST Test User CoolCavy ThatsAGoodOne349 Michiyo qa-test123 RazzzBerries Paraco
I'm absolutely loving the grunge aesthetic of those photos - they look great. I've never visited Dundee but looks great from your photos.

I get that a lot, once I start walking the time just flies and I could definitely carry on for longer.

Your pamper evening sounds perfect, I may have to treat myself to the same thing soon too. Eye cooling gel pads are the best. I love putting them in the fridge and then putting them on - nice and refreshing!

The cafe looks idyllic. There's nothing I love more than passing the time in a cosy cafe with a good book, cake and some tea, it's the best! What did you get your parents and dog? Sounds like the best afternoon.
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?
(Original post by PilboBaggins)
I'm absolutely loving the grunge aesthetic of those photos - they look great. I've never visited Dundee but looks great from your photos.

I get that a lot, once I start walking the time just flies and I could definitely carry on for longer.

Your pamper evening sounds perfect, I may have to treat myself to the same thing soon too. Eye cooling gel pads are the best. I love putting them in the fridge and then putting them on - nice and refreshing!

The cafe looks idyllic. There's nothing I love more than passing the time in a cosy cafe with a good book, cake and some tea, it's the best! What did you get your parents and dog? Sounds like the best afternoon.
Yes, it was a beautiful night when I was taking them/out! Honestly, it was a shot in the dark when I applied for Dundee city-wise since I never properly have been due to distance. But these last 3 weeks have made me feel so welcomed and in place, not regretting it one bit. You should check it out if you ever get the chance to!

And definitely so, been so busy recently it was nice to take some time away from both classes and the laptop (which is ironic when I come back to type this up anyway haha). The eye cooling gel pads were only like 90p too so my student account was happy also! The cafe too helped me relax a lot also, despite it being just off the main high street it wasn't busy and so so much relaxing music was playing. Could have easily stayed there all day...

Thanks for reading! :koala::heart:
TheBritishKoala
Rep:
?
Entry #5 - 11/07/2019!

So yeah I said I would do this last night, that didn't happen! So over half a day later and here it is! I have been thinking a while as to what I wish to personally do as goals this summer, and still, I don't have any specific ones in mind haha. Here are some though that I know I shall be able to accomplish easily enough though! Also that prize I would love if I got the chance to win~

Name:  Floral Arrangement (3).jpg
Views: 9
Size:  54.8 KB

My personal summer bucket list!

Most of these I lowkey already had planned though not at the same time. When they first struck they came out of nowhere but I have a rough idea as to when to do them all over the following month and a half!

1. Donate blood

This is something that I have always been wanting to do. Both of my parents have done so before, with my dad having the rarest blood group in Britain, and I want to help out too. This is both something personal due to my mum needing substantial blood transfusions when I was born as well as something that I believe everyone who is eligible to, to do at least once.

2. Attend a wedding

So this I knew was gonna happen since mid-May not gonna lie. However, this is actually gonna be the first 'proper' wedding I shall be attending in all 18 years of my existence, so it will be ticking off something off of my bucket list anyways (to attend someone else's before ever my own haha)! It will be special too since it's my partner's mother's wedding also.

3. Studio Ghibli

I have already watched a couple of animated films from Studio Ghibli before but thought it would be a good time to watch plenty more! I know this is kinda combined with one of the actual goals but I will be spreading out most of the films over a month or so, so no shade ok?

4. Weekend away

In a sense, I would like to class this as partially a thing for the prize... however! I will be going on one at the start of August so will probably have to think up another thing for that? Perhaps another one I could go on! Once again this was actually mentioned by my partner first since we both want to spend as much time together before I go away to uni, and since I haven't seen him in almost 4 weeks as it is! Anyways, we're planning on heading over to Orkney for a weekend to explore and relax away from everyone!

— TheBritishKoala xx

Taglist: Themysticalegg BurstingBubbles Interrobang 8472 MrDystopia CheeseIsVeg Changing Skies laurawatt Unlimited Cats ST Test User CoolCavy ThatsAGoodOne349 Michiyo qa-test123 RazzzBerries Paracosm
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:woo: love both of yesterdays updates!! Have a great time at the wedding
ThatsAGoodOne349
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheBritishKoala)
Entry #5 - 11/07/2019!

So yeah I said I would do this last night, that didn't happen! So over half a day later and here it is! I have been thinking a while as to what I wish to personally do as goals this summer, and still, I don't have any specific ones in mind haha. Here are some though that I know I shall be able to accomplish easily enough though! Also that prize I would love if I got the chance to win~

Name:  Floral Arrangement (3).jpg
Views: 9
Size:  54.8 KB

My personal summer bucket list!

Most of these I lowkey already had planned though not at the same time. When they first struck they came out of nowhere but I have a rough idea as to when to do them all over the following month and a half!

1. Donate blood

This is something that I have always been wanting to do. Both of my parents have done so before, with my dad having the rarest blood group in Britain, and I want to help out too. This is both something personal due to my mum needing substantial blood transfusions when I was born as well as something that I believe everyone who is eligible to, to do at least once.

2. Attend a wedding

So this I knew was gonna happen since mid-May not gonna lie. However, this is actually gonna be the first 'proper' wedding I shall be attending in all 18 years of my existence, so it will be ticking off something off of my bucket list anyways (to attend someone else's before ever my own haha)! It will be special too since it's my partner's mother's wedding also.

3. Studio Ghibli

I have already watched a couple of animated films from Studio Ghibli before but thought it would be a good time to watch plenty more! I know this is kinda combined with one of the actual goals but I will be spreading out most of the films over a month or so, so no shade ok?

4. Weekend away

In a sense, I would like to class this as partially a thing for the prize... however! I will be going on one at the start of August so will probably have to think up another thing for that? Perhaps another one I could go on! Once again this was actually mentioned by my partner first since we both want to spend as much time together before I go away to uni, and since I haven't seen him in almost 4 weeks as it is! Anyways, we're planning on heading over to Orkney for a weekend to explore and relax away from everyone!

— TheBritishKoala xx

have a nice time at the wedding (:
blood I have always been on the edge about, as I'm not a stable person around it... (I'll drop to the floor if I'm not careful :toofunny: )
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed