Turn on thread page Beta

Is this dangerous? watch

Announcements
    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    Ok, basically I've taken an overdose. I've taken a mixture of drugs: 3 cocodamol, a solpadol, 6 paracemtamol of varying strengths(quite strong) and a promethazine tablet. I know this isn't enough to kill me(unfortunately) but it's also not very dangerous is it? I feel a bit The only reason I haven't taken more is because I can't find any..
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    call NHS direct and get some advise; paracetamol taken in large doses at once causes a slow painful death; but you've taken 3 types so get some advise asap
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Why did you take an overdose? :[

    Call NHS direct and tell them exactly what you've taken.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Are you attempting an overdose??
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    That's not an overdose.
    Call NHS direct and then get a counsellor.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know it's not an overdose, call NHS direct asap.. You will probably get an intense stomach ache.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    each type in isolation isn't too dangerous in the quantaties taken (as far as I know, I'm not a doctor!), but the drugs may react badly together. Phone NHS direct or get to A&E.

    If you want to die, don't overdose on drugs. Seriously. It is a nasty, slow, lingering death.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    overdosing on paracetemol will make your liver a ticking time bomb
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Technically it is isn't it cos you've taken so many in a short period of time.

    You'll probably feel quite high, dizzy and then possibly tired. But I would tell a doctor or NHS Direct cos you don't wanna do yourself damage.
    • Political Ambassador
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    cocodamol contains paracetmol so really uve taken 9 paracetmol goto a and e immedietly
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    Please get help...I'm not sure what advice or reassurance the OP was asking for, but they really need to seek medical attention
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Then go see a psychiatrist.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, basically I've taken an overdose. I've taken a mixture of drugs: 3 cocodamol, a solpadol, 6 paracemtamol of varying strengths(quite strong) and a promethazine tablet. I know this isn't enough to kill me(unfortunately) but it's also not very dangerous is it? I feel a bit The only reason I haven't taken more is because I can't find any..
    You've taken 4.5g of paracetamol as co-codamol contain paracetamol too... this is enough to kill you (slowly - talking days to weeks). You need to attend A&E or you could be heading for disaster. If you wait until you're unwell you'll have left it too late.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    around 12 hours is all is needed before its too late to do anything, up to 1 hour after they can give activated charcoal to absorb it, i think op you need to realise not only have you taken paracetamol but codene aswell which is dangerous. i hope you have sort help. as paracetamol as mentioned before will slowly shut down your organs and send you into renal failiure.

    seek help if you already havent its vital you get checked even if you feel well as liver damage is only days away if it has been absorbed into your blood.

    see a doc or go to a&e
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I'm just suprised that you came to seek advice on an internet forum first compared to getting the opinions of a qualified doctor.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Go to

    1) Hospital
    2) Psychiatrist
    Offline

    16
    Well that's a very positive thing to tell the OP isn't it..
    And why do people always assume threads like this are trolls or attention seekers?
    If they are genuine and come on here for support, you aren't giving them much!?

    Yeh but op, wherever you've gone, get to the medical professionals

    ;doctor;
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    Is the OP ok?

    They haven't posted back...

    And i agree with people saying go to the doctor or A&E.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    Don't phone NHS Direct as they will just tell you to go to A&E. Just go to A&E instead.
    • #2
    #2

    Of course going to A&E or seeing your doctor is the best idea, but what I'm saying here is from my own experience.

    With the doses of drugs you've taken it's unlikely it will kill you. You will most likely feel ill for the next few days and feel very sleepy and constipated (due to the codeine) but it's unlikely to do any long term damage. It's different for everyone but I've taken 18 paracetamol before, gone to A&E and needed no treatment and suffered no long term damage and this was after having several much larger overdoses in the past. (However if you do take that much, do make sure you're checked out because I was on the edge of needing treatment and it's different for everyone). I would really recommend phoning NHS direct though as they will be able to advise you on how the drugs act together as I'm unsure as to whether that will have an effect. They will be happy to help - I've phoned them about ibuprofen overdoses before and they've given me advice and not forced me to go to hospital.

    Do you want to talk about why you took the OD?
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.