Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to get the 2g iPhone, but didnt want to move to o2, and pay that expensive tariff. so does anyone know if the new one will be o2 exclusive aswell?

ReputationRep:
    They can't do this forever, it disgusts me to think Apple gets money every time you talk to people on the o2 deal they've monopolized us with.

I will wait until I can buy an unlocked iphone in shops, not just on the net.

But no, you can't for now, only on o2 for the forseeable future, until someone at Apple gets some sense knocked into them.

ReputationRep:
    No, I was talking about the new iphone being released on 11th July, they'd be stupid to make it o2 only again.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I haven't seen anything saying that it will be available on other networks. O2 are getting loooads of money out of it themselves, and whilst Apple aren't perhaps getting as many sales, they're getting a lot of money from O2 for their exclusivity rights, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Its not going to be on all networks, it will be another O2 exclusive. They will be doing it on Pay as you go though so at least that's something although the handset is likely to cost more. Rumors are saying it will be £269.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    This reports that prices start at $199, which is actually about £100. Didn't know it was pay as you go though, in which case I'd consider getting one, except I already have an iPod Touch!

ReputationRep:
    No I dont think its going to be pay as you go, its £100 pound with contract from what I can tell from the internet. It seems like an amazing phone though, unfortunately ive still got another ******* year left on my vodafone g600 contract!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wingerrr)
    No, I was talking about the new iphone being released on 11th July, they'd be stupid to make it o2 only again.

I was referring to that one, yes. But read above: only available on contract on o2, a damn sight cheaper, probably also (soon) released on payg but I haven't heard of that either.

Yes, they are very very stupid. :mad: Not going to give in.

p.s. Howard and Kumar rule :P

ReputationRep:
    Well the 1G can easily be unlocked...

ReputationRep:
    www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

Proof its going on Pay As You Go, no pricing info yet though. I can't see it being £99 no matter what jobs said, that probably just applied to contracts.

EDIT: They seem to have taken everything to do with the 3G iPhone down from the site, even the contract prices. The link was working earlier though and said that Pay as you Go was "Coming Soon" and pricing details would be announced shortly. Says come back tomorrow to find out more so I guess they released it earlier by mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I work for O2 guys and sorry to dissapoint you but the iphone was signed on an exclusivity deal for a minimum of five years....so for those of you waiting for the contract to run out your gunna have a long wait

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ IT'S THE ENEMY! ATTAAAACKKKKK!

Ah well at least they bothered to make it payg this time. Don't they understand they will make a hell of a lot more, through signing up more people, if they take the "you choose how you pay" approach rather than this dictatorial monopolizing their doing?

ReputationRep:
    Just buy an unlocked iphone... I know you said you don't want to... but it'll be the only (affordable) way to do it... Or... RUN AWAY FROM APPLE...(that's my motto...)

ReputationRep:
    I can't see it being under £150, if it's gonna be on PAYG.

ReputationRep:
    It will be £269 on PAYG

And then a new PAYG tariff for the iPhone, I wonder what it will be, because it needs to include a data package.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I really does need a data package for it but at £269 it is still just a tad expensive

ReputationRep:
    Put it like this, on the cheapest contract its going to be £100. So no way in hell is it going to be under £200 on PAYG. More than likely closer to £300.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Yeah, I really does need a data package for it but at £269 it is still just a tad expensive
    Mm... the iPod Touch 8GB is £199, and you get soo much more on top so £269 isn't too bad. You don't see similar phones like HTC Diamond, N95, Viewty etc. launching at less than £350 on PAYG, so IMHO this is a good price.
    But it all depends on th tariffs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and with data plans it could be a tad more expensive

ReputationRep:
    Apparently with the £30 and £35 contracts at O2 it will be £99, and if you get the £45 or £75 contracts the phone is free.

Though I don't want to pay £100 plus another £30 a month, when I can get another phone on a different contract for free at £30 a month. Shame as I really want one...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.