Do you need a level maths to succeed in A level physics? Watch

TheRealRussian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I’m really stuck on my options. I’ve chosen Maths, Physics and economics. I’m thinking of changing maths to chemistry. Any thoughts?
javathar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm in year 12 studying physics currently. This is my opinion.

I will recommend you take maths as it will be beneficial, Physics has more mathematical calculations; especially in mechanics and it is very similar to what you would do in maths. Math is a very broad subject and allows you for many different paths after a level.

That being said, it is not 100% needed to succeed, quite a large portion of my class do not take maths and are fine.

I'd ask what courses/ career do you plan on taking?
xipo7101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maths helped me to understand where equations in formula booklet come from by using things like calculus.
Also maths will literally help you with 40% of physics which is mechanics that's already good enough deal for me.
Chemistry was useless for physics expect one chapter which is thermal physics so 1 chapter vs 40% + deep understanding where equations are coming from, I mean the choice is obvious.
But basically with maths you would have spend twice as much time practising manipulating equations and doing mechanics problems which will boost your grade.
Also this year A-Level physics was 3 WEEKS earlier than my other exams so i don't know if I would have enough practice without the maths, and mechanics questions felt super easy and required small amount of time which is a big bonus.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TheRealRussian)
Hi, I’m really stuck on my options. I’ve chosen Maths, Physics and economics. I’m thinking of changing maths to chemistry. Any thoughts?
What do you want to do after A level?
A level maths isn’t essential for A level physics but if you want to do anything physics related at university you would need it. Similarly with economics, although some economics-based courses exist where maths isn’t a requirement most have heavy maths content that is hard without an A level maths foundation.
Last edited by gdunne42; 3 months ago
Charlotte LG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m currently coming to the end of year 12 and I am doing A-Levels in Physics, Geography and History. Quite a random mix. I don’t do maths, the other people I’m my class do but there is only three of us. My school does extra maths sessions which I attend, they are super helpful. If you think you will do A-Level physics without maths, I recommend the CGP book for essential maths skills in physics. It is very useful for maths skills that are relevant to the physics course. My physics teacher said to me that he doesn’t believe that it is essential to be doing A-Level maths with physics. I think universities like it if you have A-Level maths and physics for degrees such as physics or engineering, it depends what you want to do. Good luck with your choices and the future!
(Original post by TheRealRussian)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads