creedz98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm thinking to apply for October to study full time in Computing & IT. When should I apply and how would I know if I am eligible? And how does they repayment method work. Is it like a normal student loan where you start paying it back when you start earning a certain amount?
Last edited by creedz98; 2 years ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by creedz98)
I'm thinking to apply for October to study full time in Computing & IT. When should I apply and how would I know if I am eligible? And how does they repayment method work. Is it like a normal student loan where you start paying it back when you start earning a certain amount?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance

The deadline for applying and guaranteed payment for Sept start was back at the end of May.
You should apply now and wait to be processed.
Eligibility is on the link basically UK citizen resident in the Uk for the last 3 years.

Repayment only comes into play once you earn £25,000 and then its 9% of that excess. Most people will never fully pay it back and its written off after I think 30 years.
JollyCynic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just so that creedz98 doesn't panic, I believe those dates refer to loans for full-time study. Part-time loans (for England and Wales) didn't open up until 11 June this year, so getting it in before the end of May would have been a tall order. You still have plenty of time to apply for your part-time student loan. (A reminder to creedz98 that even students studying a full-time study intensity at the OU still apply for part-time loans.)

It's recommended by SLC to apply at least 6 to 8 weeks before the beginning of the module, so before the end of July, but the sooner the better.

So far as I can tell, repayment is the same for part-time loans, with the exception that part-time students are much more likely to begin repayment (income permitting) before the end of their course.

(Also for clarity's sake, you don't need to be a UK citizen, ILR immigration status is fine.)
creedz98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by JollyCynic)
Just so that creedz98 doesn't panic, I believe those dates refer to loans for full-time study. Part-time loans (for England and Wales) didn't open up until 11 June this year, so getting it in before the end of May would have been a tall order. You still have plenty of time to apply for your part-time student loan. (A reminder to creedz98 that even students studying a full-time study intensity at the OU still apply for part-time loans.)

It's recommended by SLC to apply at least 6 to 8 weeks before the beginning of the module, so before the end of July, but the sooner the better.

So far as I can tell, repayment is the same for part-time loans, with the exception that part-time students are much more likely to begin repayment (income permitting) before the end of their course.

(Also for clarity's sake, you don't need to be a UK citizen, ILR immigration status is fine.)
Thank you, I'm planning to do an open uni course. Do I apply before applying for the course or after?
steve2802
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you, I'm planning to do an open uni course. Do I apply before applying for the course or after?
I'm studying with the OU for the first time this year as well.

I believe the student finance company will need to contact the OU to confirm you are doing the course so register yourself onto the course first. The deadline for applications for October intake is September 12th. Once the OU has confirmed your registration then apply for student finance.
JollyCynic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should sign up for the course first, but I found that the best order to do things was: Sign up for a SFE account (assuming you're in England) so that you can get a CRN (Customer Reference Number). Then when you're signing up for your degree with the OU, you can put your CRN in, then double back and fill out the loan application.

It doesn't really matter much in the long run, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads