Is the LPC LLM worth it? Watch

x4404
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello!

My current priority right now is to do my LPC starting September, however funding is my biggest issue. In that case, is it worth me doing the LPC LLM at Univesity of Law for the (nearly £11k) PG funding available?

I realise the add-on LLM isn't taken seriously by employers, and I have heard it's not too hard (just a few extra essays but please feel free to confirm if you are taking this on the difficulty) which is fine for me, but I wanted to make sure if will effect my LPC in anyway.

So essentially what I'm asking is if taking the LPC LLM will somehow look worse on my CV than taking the LPC on it's own, since then I would rather just take the LPC. However, I would assume if anything it either looks the same as just an LPC alone (and they will just ignore the LLM addition) or in some cases better (rather than actually worse) but I just want to make sure.

Thank you in advance!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by x4404)
Hello!

My current priority right now is to do my LPC starting September, however funding is my biggest issue. In that case, is it worth me doing the LPC LLM at Univesity of Law for the (nearly £11k) PG funding available?

I realise the add-on LLM isn't taken seriously by employers, and I have heard it's not too hard (just a few extra essays but please feel free to confirm if you are taking this on the difficulty) which is fine for me, but I wanted to make sure if will effect my LPC in anyway.

So essentially what I'm asking is if taking the LPC LLM will somehow look worse on my CV than taking the LPC on it's own, since then I would rather just take the LPC. However, I would assume if anything it either looks the same as just an LPC alone (and they will just ignore the LLM addition) or in some cases better (rather than actually worse) but I just want to make sure.

Thank you in advance!!
As far as I understood it the LLM is the LPC +1 essay. the reason it was created was to access postgrad funding.
If you take the LPC alone, then either your firm or you will be funding it yourself.
x4404
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
As far as I understood it the LLM is the LPC +1 essay. the reason it was created was to access postgrad funding.
If you take the LPC alone, then either your firm or you will be funding it yourself.
Thank you replying.

I think I am leaning towards doing the LPC + LLM course at ULaw as I will be funding it myself and could not find an employer to fund for me in time for September 2019.

I just want to make sure, this doesn't look worse on a CV in anyway, does it? Or do employers not care as long as you have the LPC done one way or another? (I realise the LLM addition isn't really taken seriously but that is fine with me as my priority is the LPC)

Thanks
x4404
Rep:
?
If anyone else has any suggestions in regards to funding please do let me know, I would appreciate this a lot. As in what would be the cheapest way to fund myself for the LPC starting September 2018 (without an employer funding me).

And also, if any other universities offer the same as ULaw where you can get PG Loan funding.

Thanks a lot.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by x4404)
Thank you replying.

I think I am leaning towards doing the LPC + LLM course at ULaw as I will be funding it myself and could not find an employer to fund for me in time for September 2019.

I just want to make sure, this doesn't look worse on a CV in anyway, does it? Or do employers not care as long as you have the LPC done one way or another? (I realise the LLM addition isn't really taken seriously but that is fine with me as my priority is the LPC)

Thanks
It won't look any worse, no.

The issue people sometimes have with it is that it doesn't look a whole lot better either, but if you are using it mainly to get PG funding then that shouldn't matter
laurenlodge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd say 75% of people on my course this year were doing the LLM.

(edited to take out misinfo)
Last edited by laurenlodge; 2 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by x4404)
If anyone else has any suggestions in regards to funding please do let me know, I would appreciate this a lot. As in what would be the cheapest way to fund myself for the LPC starting September 2018 (without an employer funding me).

And also, if any other universities offer the same as ULaw where you can get PG Loan funding.

Thanks a lot.
Think you are missing the point.
If you are self funding, then the postgrad loan is now available because UoL and BPP created an qualification which is the LPC + minor changes to access cheap student funding.
Doing the LPC means you will need to find the funding yourself and the postgrad loan isnt an option.

Unless your are independently wealthy then I dont see how you have a choice?
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by laurenlodge)
I'd say 75% of people on my course this year were doing the LLM. At UoL it involves one extra elective and one essay - so really not much more work since the essay can be done post exams.
What is the elective? just anyone you choose or a specific one? I thought it was just the essay?
laurenlodge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What is the elective? just anyone you choose or a specific one? I thought it was just the essay?
Yep, is my mistake! Will edit my original post.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by x4404)
Thank you replying.

Thanks
I cant see why its an issue.
They dont care.
If I was choosing I would choose the LLM for the letters (meaningful or not, but because the finance makes it a no brainer)
As I keep saying its the LPC dressed up a bit so you can get funding.

You are going to have to check the other lpc providers, am sure they all have their own version.
x4404
Rep:
?
Thank you for replying everyone!

Think you are missing the point.
If you are self funding, then the postgrad loan is now available because UoL and BPP created an qualification which is the LPC + minor changes to access cheap student funding.
Doing the LPC means you will need to find the funding yourself and the postgrad loan isnt an option.

Unless your are independently wealthy then I dont see how you have a choice?
No I got the point completely, I just wanted to ensure it didn't somehow look worse by some tiny chance otherwise I would've taken out a bank loan or something of the sort for the LPC. And I wanted to just make sure the LLM LPC was the best way in my case to do the LPC (incase there was another ideal funding source I was not aware of).

Thanks for all the help. I will be doing the LPC LLM in this case.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by x4404)
Thank you for replying everyone!

No I got the point completely, I just wanted to ensure it didn't somehow look worse by some tiny chance otherwise I would've taken out a bank loan or something of the sort for the LPC. And I wanted to just make sure the LLM LPC was the best way in my case to do the LPC (incase there was another ideal funding source I was not aware of).

Thanks for all the help. I will be doing the LPC LLM in this case.
Again why would it, employers only care you have the LPC and they arent stupid, they know its been disguised so students can get LPC finance.
A bank loan would be stupid in comparison.
Imo the LLM is the only choice if you dont have the money and even if you do I would still take it. They used to offer career development loans but the postgraduate loans made them irrelevant as the terms are much more generous.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In the legal industry, the LPC LLM looks exactly the same as the LPC. People will just see it as the LPC.

If you wanted to move into a non-legal industry, the LPC LLM might look a tiny bit better, because a lot of non-lawyers don't know what the LPC is but do know what an LLM is.
wannabelaw124
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you have to do the full-time course? I did the LPC part-time and paid monthly (worked out between £400 - £500). That way, I could concentrate on getting high grades on the LPC, which ultimately helped me get a TC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (152)
17.76%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.76%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (123)
14.37%

Watched Threads