issue with flat earther

Watch
8292homsssssbwj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i was talking to a flat earther and he put forward the following argument:
if the earth is truly spherical and spins at a much higher velocity than planes, then do planes actually move? wouldn't it make more sense for the plane to simply float and wait for the land to come to it since the earth spins too fast for a plane to actually reach any destination?

i had no response to this. any help?
√-1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
movement is all relative. So planes do move relative to the earth. I'm not an expert but I think as the earth is soo massive 400 kmh-1 doesn't cause much rotation of the earth. As the earth only fully rotates once a day. Planes travel at a 100kmh-1 put much higher up at an altitude of 37,000 feet . Because of this the distance it has to travel is less than it is on earth (due to its spherical nature). As the distance is less the speed being less doesn't make much of a difference so the plane will move faster than the earth
AsithU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"I was talking to a flat earther"

Well there's your problem
√-1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
well I mean u should still be able to be friends with someone even if they have a different opinion to u
AsithU
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly this is so stupid. Planes move for the same reason that you can't just jump straight up and then land slightly to the left just because the earth moved under your feet or something. The earth and you aren't separate, the earth makes you move at the same speed it does. You're currently moving at 400kmph while sitting down. You don't notice it because movement is relative. Jumping doesn't escape this effect, and neither does being in a plane, because you're still in the earth's atmosphere and/or field of gravity, so still under its physical influence. If you went to space, then you'd escape it. It is for this exact reason that most satellites aren't geostationary. They work like your flat earther friend expects planes to work - they simply float around the earth and the earth moves beneath it. He just seems to think that flying us enough to escape the damn planet. If his planes were a bit higher up, then he'd be right lol
Maybe don't bother explaining this to him, he'll just ignore it
AsithU
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by √-1)
well I mean u should still be able to be friends with someone even if they have a different opinion to u
I draw a line when their "opinion" is just contradicting something that's already proven fact.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AsithU)
"I was talking to a flat earther"

Well there's your problem
The only true wisdom in this thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed