L.YH
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I currently face a problem in college-they don't offer the subject that want to take. Hence, I am left with the only choice, English Lit. The problem is, I did not do GCSE English Lit. Which is potentially problematic. I have no idea how English Lit goes. Can someone briefly explain how the subject is and how it is normally taught? SOS!!!!
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You want to do English Lit at A levelthis seems. Are you sure you want to do this?
You have to actually enjoy writing, reading and analysing in order to do well in this subject.
You will be reading Shakespeare plays, modern novels, pre-1900 and post-1900 poetry, doing coursework on complex books, and reading even more plays and poetry. Oh, and that's just for AS.
Not to scare you off, just to say that it is a lot of work.
You can expect to be reading these books in class and analysing the words, phrases, and learning literary terminology. You can expect to be learning context and a bit of author biography, forming opinions about the books, reading critic reviews and writing loads of essays
L.YH
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot! It was really helpful. It sounds like what I've been doing during Year 9, so hopefully it will not be a big problem. Few extra questions though- What would you recommend me to do over the holidays to prepare myself? Can you recommend a few books or poetry that I should have a look or try on? Thanks!
(Original post by yotsr123)
You want to do English Lit at A levelthis seems. Are you sure you want to do this?
You have to actually enjoy writing, reading and analysing in order to do well in this subject.
You will be reading Shakespeare plays, modern novels, pre-1900 and post-1900 poetry, doing coursework on complex books, and reading even more plays and poetry. Oh, and that's just for AS.
Not to scare you off, just to say that it is a lot of work.
You can expect to be reading these books in class and analysing the words, phrases, and learning literary terminology. You can expect to be learning context and a bit of author biography, forming opinions about the books, reading critic reviews and writing loads of essays
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by L.YH)
Thanks a lot! It was really helpful. It sounds like what I've been doing during Year 9, so hopefully it will not be a big problem. Few extra questions though- What would you recommend me to do over the holidays to prepare myself? Can you recommend a few books or poetry that I should have a look or try on? Thanks!
I would say to simply get acquainted with the books you will be studying in college. Find out what books your school will be studying by finding out what their exam board is. Then read those books, form an opinion about the characters for example and what happens in the books.
Also, have a go at a random poem or a poem from the official anthology which I believe is available online and try to analyse it using literary terminology.
Have a read of the Shakespeare play that you'll be studying and familiarise yourself with the themes and quotes.
L.YH
Rep:
?
Great! Thanks a lot!
(Original post by yotsr123)
I would say to simply get acquainted with the books you will be studying in college. Find out what books your school will be studying by finding out what their exam board is. Then read those books, form an opinion about the characters for example and what happens in the books.
Also, have a go at a random poem or a poem from the official anthology which I believe is available online and try to analyse it using literary terminology.
Have a read of the Shakespeare play that you'll be studying and familiarise yourself with the themes and quotes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (27)
19.29%
No (113)
80.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed