hbarnes1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Nisd23)
I'm not at all certain so it's worth asking admissions, but my guess is any predicted grades will get you a conditional offer and you'd generally have to meet those conditions to successfully start the course
(Original post by Ellios)
Seem to remember people saying that the offer will usually be conditional on a 2:1, even though you pretty much have to be predicted a 1st, if that makes sense?

Don't hold me to that though, it's worth checking, and obivously just go for the 1st if you can!
Thank you both!
medinc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Do you think its worth applying with a 2.1 (achieved)
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by medinc)
I'm trying to figure out what the minimum UCAT score may need to be for someone to be invited to interview.
From the information collected, the highest 2.1 mark I've seen rejected has been GEM_2019's score of 3020 - avg 755.
The FOI shows that the smallest score to be accepted onto the course was 3130 - avg 782.5.
This leaves a big grey area of about ~100 points. It's also a tad challenging to use data from years prior to 2019, as those years had also considered masters.

I don't know what to make of it, but it's definitely down to your UCAT score.
If anyone has any leads, would be curious myself.
Last edited by 548; 4 months ago
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 548)
I'm trying to figure out what the minimum UCAT score may need to be for someone to be invited to interview.
From the information collected, the highest 2.1 mark I've seen rejected has been GEM_2019's score of 3020 - avg 755.
The FOI shows that the smallest score to be accepted onto the course was 3130 - avg 782.5.
This leaves a big grey area of about ~100 points. It's also a tad challenging to use data from years prior to 2019, as those years had also considered masters.

Alright, so I found a 2.1 graduate who had received an invite and a waiting list position to a101 last year?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...=#post80916934
chattycc21 - I'll update the spreadsheet now.
They scored 2760 - 690 avg.
I am very confused.
medinc
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 548)

I don't have a particularly high UCAT score (2810) and last year would not have considered Barts because of how much pg study was favoured. It definitely is a difficult decision as this year only the first degree is considered
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't have a particularly high UCAT score (2810) and last year would not have considered Barts because of how much pg study was favoured. It definitely is a difficult decision as this year only the first degree is considered
Last year didn't consider postgraduate studies either, according to a post on this page of last year's thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...593306&page=17
Last edited by 548; 4 months ago
medinc
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 548)
Last year didn't consider postgraduate studies either, according to a post on this page of last year's thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...593306&page=17
Wasn't aware of this so thank you. As the deadline for application looms the decision becomes harder. My third time applying so trying to get it right but I just have no idea what to do. Stats are 2.1 in biomed, BCC a levels and 2810 b2. So far my choices are Warwick, Soton and Kings but unsure of the final option if I should have another risky choice with Barts or retake A levels and apply for Sheffield
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wasn't aware of this so thank you. As the deadline for application looms the decision becomes harder. My third time applying so trying to get it right but I just have no idea what to do. Stats are 2.1 in biomed, BCC a levels and 2810 b2. So far my choices are Warwick, Soton and Kings but unsure of the final option if I should have another risky choice with Barts or retake A levels and apply for Sheffield
You should undoubtedly have an interview for Warwick imo.
Unfortunately, that's only a question you can answer due to commitment and whatever else you may be balancing.
Have you looked into undergraduate too?
davidthomasjnr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No, as achieved is scored the same as predicted. Having said that, if you have an exceptionally high UCAT score (~3000+), then it might be worth a shot! Barts is notorious for not accepting students with a 2:1 unless they have a very high UCAT score. Also, please bear in mind that those who got in with a 2:1 previously either had a masters or PhD. This year, Barts is not considering any extra qualifications (except A-levels if your degree does not have sufficient biology or chemistry), so that might not matter, but I would imagine a very high UCAT score would still be important.
davidthomasjnr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You could try undergrad instead, as your UCAT score is good
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by davidthomasjnr)
No, as achieved is scored the same as predicted. Having said that, if you have an exceptionally high UCAT score (~3000+), then it might be worth a shot! Barts is notorious for not accepting students with a 2:1 unless they have a very high UCAT score. Also, please bear in mind that those who got in with a 2:1 previously either had a masters or PhD. This year, Barts is not considering any extra qualifications (except A-levels if your degree does not have sufficient biology or chemistry), so that might not matter, but I would imagine a very high UCAT score would still be important.
We were just pointing out that there was a slight inconsistency here, where some information may have been lost.
There is a student from last year who had submitted information to have received an interview with an MSc and BSc in Biomed and a score of 2760 in their UCAT. Was there a preference on topic? I might have skipped over it, but is that preference still there?
medinc
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 548)
You should undoubtedly have an interview for Warwick imo.
Unfortunately, that's only a question you can answer due to commitment and whatever else you may be balancing.
Have you looked into undergraduate too?
Yeah thats fair. I looked into undergrad but the problem is the lack of funding for it. I live in Birmingham so ug would only make sense for me if uni was in a commutable distance. With my BCC (CC chemistry and biology) A levels, nothing within that distance that i'm aware of unfortunately
davidthomasjnr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 548)
We were just pointing out that there was a slight inconsistency here, where some information may have been lost.
There is a student from last year who had submitted information to have received an interview with an MSc and BSc in Biomed and a score of 2760 in their UCAT. Was there a preference on topic? I might have skipped over it, but is that preference still there?
Someone I used to work with got a high 2:1 in Chemistry (MChem) and applied to undergrad at Barts (I posted before and thought it was GEM but clarified the details with them recently). They received an interview for undergrad with an average score of around 650 (2600).

I think Barts look at degree score as well as achieved score to discriminate. That's what they said when I called them today! I think that would explain why the UCAT scores vary year on year with the intakes; they use degree scores to vary the applicants they choose.
Last edited by davidthomasjnr; 4 months ago
davidthomasjnr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah thats fair. I looked into undergrad but the problem is the lack of funding for it. I live in Birmingham so ug would only make sense for me if uni was in a commutable distance. With my BCC (CC chemistry and biology) A levels, nothing within that distance that i'm aware of unfortunately
If you did a masters or PhD, or you have at least 3 years of work experience, you should apply to Birmingham for GEM! That would compensate for your A-levels!!
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Someone I used to work with got a high 2:1 in Chemistry (MChem) and applied to both undergrad at Barts (I posted before and thought it was GEM but clarified the details with them recently). They received an interview for undergrad with an average score of around 650 (2600).

I think Barts look at degree score as well as achieved score to discriminate. That's what they said when I called them today! I think that would explain why the UCAT scores vary year on year with the intakes; they use degree scores to vary the applicants they choose.
If that's the case, I should look into how to show I've got a high 2.1. I've scored on the dot 3000 in UCAT and although I've stayed away from Barts, I don't know what's started nagging me at the back of my head again.
medinc
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you did a masters or PhD, or you have at least 3 years of work experience, you should apply to Birmingham for GEM! That would compensate for your A-levels!!
Unfortunately I have neither, graduated in the summer
davidthomasjnr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 548)
If that's the case, I should look into how to show I've got a high 2.1. I've scored on the dot 3000 in UCAT and although I've stayed away from Barts, I don't know what's started nagging me at the back of my head again.
Good luck, I really hope you get your first choice university!!! You must be applying to KCL and all the other UCAT-heavy unis

You have nothing to lose by applying to Barts if you have a free choice left; you might as well go for it. I mentioned my overall score (for final year it was 80%) and that I scored the highest in one of my final year modules (~93%) in my personal statement. To be fair, I think they should be able to roughly tell from your transcript if you added your modules onto your qualifications on UCAS, and they might ask you for your transcript anyways!!

I think most universities do make exceptions for people who have something unique about them, so if you can stand out from the crowd (I think you will with your awesome score), I think you can get an interview!!
Last edited by davidthomasjnr; 4 months ago
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck, I really hope you get your first choice university!!! You must be applying to KCL and all the other UCAT-heavy unis

You have nothing to lose by applying to Barts if you have a free choice left; you might as well go for it. I mentioned my overall score (for final year it was 80%) and that I scored the highest in one of my final year modules (~93%) in my personal statement. To be fair, I think they should be able to roughly tell from your transcript if you added your modules onto your qualifications on UCAS, and they might ask you for your transcript anyways!!

I think most universities do make exceptions for people who have something unique about them, so if you can stand out from the crowd (I think you will with your awesome score), I think you can get an interview!!
Thank you very much. I'm not, mainly out of London to be honest. Not a big fan of the city.

Well, I'm more so debating between a guaranteed interview spot at an undergraduate course, or risking it for this biscuit.

I'll mention the spreadsheet in my personal statement, thanks for the tip, haha.
Puzzled11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Someone I used to work with got a high 2:1 in Chemistry (MChem) and applied to undergrad at Barts (I posted before and thought it was GEM but clarified the details with them recently). They received an interview for undergrad with an average score of around 650 (2600).

By any chance, did you ask them if they use postgraduate degrees to differentiate or if it helps different people stand out too, even if it's not actually being considered now?
davidthomasjnr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Puzzled11)
By any chance, did you ask them if they use postgraduate degrees to differentiate or if it helps different people stand out thooo, even if it's not actually being considered now?
I didn't ask but I would assume they only consider what they have already agreed to assess in their new 2020 entry critera. However, I think it would be useful to talk about in the interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.53%
No (241)
33.47%

Watched Threads