The Student Room Group

Barts and the London (QMUL) A101 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
A recent FOI request went through in regards to what UCAT scores and classifications were offered an interview:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/611785/response/1474736/attach/html/2/A101%20UCAT%20Score%20and%20Degree%20Classification.xlsx.html

00.5% international degrees
02.1% 2.1 classifications (2860 - 3340)
97.3% 1st classifications (2410 - 3280)

Good luck in your upcoming weeks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 548
A recent FOI request went through in regards to what UCAT scores and classifications were offered an interview:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/611785/response/1474736/attach/html/2/A101%20UCAT%20Score%20and%20Degree%20Classification.xlsx.html

00.5% international degrees
02.1% 2.1 classifications (2860 - 3340)
97.3% 1st classifications (2410 - 3280)

Good luck in your upcoming weeks.

Which academic year of entry is this? :smile: It looks like 2018 entry data
Original post by davidthomasjnr
Which academic year of entry is this? :smile: It looks like 2018 entry data

Seems like it's for the 2018/2019 cycle: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/degree_classification_and_ucat_f#incoming-1474736

It looks strange as some Ucat scores in the sheet are lower than the ones they reported on the website.
Original post by Ben2021
It looks strange as some Ucat scores in the sheet are lower than the ones they reported on the website.

Ooh, interesting. I thought it only mentioned getting above third decile on the website? I.e. this year you'd need to get at least 2360 to be considered/ranked against other candidates. But because they rank 50:50 degree classification : UCAT, it's unlikely that a candidate will get an interview/offer with a UCAT score on the lower end?
Original post by IndigoBloom
Ooh, interesting. I thought it only mentioned getting above third decile on the website? I.e. this year you'd need to get at least 2360 to be considered/ranked against other candidates. But because they rank 50:50 degree classification : UCAT, it's unlikely that a candidate will get an interview/offer with a UCAT score on the lower end?

My interpretation of the third decile is among all applicants to this course, rather than all students who took ucat. On Barts website, they say the lowest for home was 2750 and 2840 for oversea. But in the sheet I think I saw some 2400+. Not very sure. Anyway, we will know soon hopefully.
Reply 86
It looks like it may have been the 2017/18 cycle, for 2018/19 entry. Oh man. Someone get Steven back on the case.
Original post by Ben2021
My interpretation of the third decile is among all applicants to this course, rather than all students who took ucat. On Barts website, they say the lowest for home was 2750 and 2840 for oversea. But in the sheet I think I saw some 2400+. Not very sure. Anyway, we will know soon hopefully.

When I went to the open day, they had a sheet out at one of the tables indicating that all candidates needed to get above 3rd decile for UCAT (i.e. above 2360) to be considered (alongside having a 2:1 or 1st).

So, it would seem 2360 is the cut-off, and they then rank candidates 50:50 based on UCAT and degree classification.

If it helps at all, I was kinda worried about my UCAT of 2700, but when I asked about it I was told, "don't worry, that's a good score you should apply!"

We were told for GEM I think it was, a 13% chance of getting to the interview stage? Then about 1/3rd of those interviews will be offered a place.

I know QMUL get about 1,500 applicants a year and that number is highly intimidating... But also, I do wonder about the quality of the applications? I suspect that at least a small proportion of that 1,500 wouldn't meet the UCAT cut-off or don't have a 1st or 2:1 but decided to try anyways (or weren't aware of the course requirements). I suspect there'll also be a decent number of people that have a 2:1 or 1st but aren't suitable for some other reason (low or no UCAT, etc.).

I do think that TSR as a whole panics a bit about UCAT, so I guess what I'm saying is: try not to worry too much :smile: Easier said than done, I know, but I do feel like a lot of people with decent UCAT scores tend to worry quite a bit on TSR.

Fingers crossed everyone for interview invitations!
Original post by IndigoBloom
When I went to the open day, they had a sheet out at one of the tables indicating that all candidates needed to get above 3rd decile for UCAT (i.e. above 2360) to be considered (alongside having a 2:1 or 1st).

So, it would seem 2360 is the cut-off, and they then rank candidates 50:50 based on UCAT and degree classification.

If it helps at all, I was kinda worried about my UCAT of 2700, but when I asked about it I was told, "don't worry, that's a good score you should apply!"

We were told for GEM I think it was, a 13% chance of getting to the interview stage? Then about 1/3rd of those interviews will be offered a place.

I know QMUL get about 1,500 applicants a year and that number is highly intimidating... But also, I do wonder about the quality of the applications? I suspect that at least a small proportion of that 1,500 wouldn't meet the UCAT cut-off or don't have a 1st or 2:1 but decided to try anyways (or weren't aware of the course requirements). I suspect there'll also be a decent number of people that have a 2:1 or 1st but aren't suitable for some other reason (low or no UCAT, etc.).

I do think that TSR as a whole panics a bit about UCAT, so I guess what I'm saying is: try not to worry too much :smile: Easier said than done, I know, but I do feel like a lot of people with decent UCAT scores tend to worry quite a bit on TSR.

Fingers crossed everyone for interview invitations!

Thanks for the information. I am probably in the same boat as you, 2740. didn’t think I will have any chance here, especially after seeing so many 3000+ on TSR😂. If third decile is the cutoff, I may still have some hope🤣. I try not to overthink about it. Good luck everyone!
Original post by Ben2021
Thanks for the information. I am probably in the same boat as you, 2740. didn’t think I will have any chance here, especially after seeing so many 3000+ on TSR😂. If third decile is the cutoff, I may still have some hope🤣. I try not to overthink about it. Good luck everyone!

Haha, I totally hear you there. If it helps, though: I don't think TSR is very representative of the general population! 2740 is a great score!

I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
Good luck everyone!!!
Anyone heard anything yet?
Original post by Gemmedapplicant
Anyone heard anything yet?

Nope not yet!
I haven't heard anything yet, either.
Original post by KBen25
I got an email saying they will start telling us if we have been shortlisted from 2-13th Dec. Then formal interview invites go out a bit later.

Hey when did you get that email. Cause in the email they sent me they did not specify the dates just that they would contact us in December?
Original post by Amy greeyt
Hey when did you get that email. Cause in the email they sent me they did not specify the dates just that they would contact us in December?

Same here. My email also just said December, without a date.

Original post by Ben2021
Same here. My email also just said December, without a date.

It was on one of the early emails thanking you for your application. I got mine 25/10 if that helps?
Reply 97
Screenshot_20191203_081927_com.trtf.blue-compressed.jpg.jpeg

They sent it a while ago now - probably over a month ago!
Reply 99
Hey everyone 👋

I’ve got 2600 UCAT and a 1st in Biomed. Do you think I stand a chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending