The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Porkchopss
i feel they're just playing hard to get at this point kms

lmfao it’s gotten to the point where i’ve actually stopped refreshing my email
Reply 381
Original post by That Seagull
Where the international interview invites at?

Also Gang Gang

I don't think any people of the international gang have received invites. Really thrown off as I wanted the interviews to be in December, but oh well.

Also gang gang
Original post by A_J_B
I don't think any people of the international gang have received invites. Really thrown off as I wanted the interviews to be in December, but oh well.

Also gang gang

international here. I was practically praying for a December interview so now I'm just gonna start praying for a "not late Jan interview" because God knows when it'll come at this point
Original post by roorav15
international here. I was practically praying for a December interview so now I'm just gonna start praying for a "not late Jan interview" because God knows when it'll come at this point

Fingers crossed for the squad. I just hope they give us enough notice cause ya boi needs to plan his trip.
(edited 4 years ago)
Any Birmingham specific interview tips?
Reply 385
For people wondering about internationals or Bham interview advice:

I'm a current international third year medic. I received interview invite in November and had my interview in mid-December, so it is possible that some internationals have received invites! Especially because back then I never posted on here anyway.

Of my interviews, Bham was one of the nicest. The staff are for the most part quite friendly, and the fourth years they bring in to help out are a really great resource to ask about how med school is like at Bham! Bham does really classic MMI's so if you prepare for that you really can't go wrong.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you choose a date for your interview, when you show up on the day you get randomly assigned to the morning set or afternoon set. Therefore, even though they ask everyone to show up in the morning you may find that you don't have your interview till the afternoon. So, it's best to plan for the fact that you might spend the entire day at the interview and not schedule a train or flight that you aren't sure you will make.

On the day of the interview, don't stress too much. First off, the best way to reach the medical school is to take the train from Birmingham New street station to University station, and the medical school is literally within 1 minute walk from there. Once you reach the medical school, they pretty much guide you through everything so there isn't really much to worry about. If you have the chance, take some time to speak to the med students while you're there! You'll find them walking around everywhere, though you'll really only find 1st and 2nd years around, as all of the clinical years don't spend much time at the med school anymore.

Any other questions let me know!
Original post by a-aron

I'm a current international third year medic. I received interview invite in November and had my interview in mid-December, so it is possible that some internationals have received invites! Especially because back then I never posted on here anyway.

Of my interviews, Bham was one of the nicest. The staff are for the most part quite friendly, and the fourth years they bring in to help out are a really great resource to ask about how med school is like at Bham! Bham does really classic MMI's so if you prepare for that you really can't go wrong.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you choose a date for your interview, when you show up on the day you get randomly assigned to the morning set or afternoon set. Therefore, even though they ask everyone to show up in the morning you may find that you don't have your interview till the afternoon. So, it's best to plan for the fact that you might spend the entire day at the interview and not schedule a train or flight that you aren't sure you will make.

On the day of the interview, don't stress too much. First off, the best way to reach the medical school is to take the train from Birmingham New street station to University station, and the medical school is literally within 1 minute walk from there. Once you reach the medical school, they pretty much guide you through everything so there isn't really much to worry about. If you have the chance, take some time to speak to the med students while you're there! You'll find them walking around everywhere, though you'll really only find 1st and 2nd years around, as all of the clinical years don't spend much time at the med school anymore.

What did you do for accomodation during your first three years? Did you live in Pritchards or not?
Reply 387
Original post by _jbello.10
What did you do for accomodation during your first three years? Did you live in Pritchards or not?

First year most people stay in the Vale. After that, people tend to move out with their friends in houses in Selly Oak or Harborne.
Original post by a-aron

if u don’t mind sharing, wat was your UKCAT score?
Original post by a-aron

Appreciate the advice, thank you so much!
Reply 390
Did anyone of the international gang here get sent a fee asssessment questionnaire? I got sent one wonder why
Original post by A_J_B
Did anyone of the international gang here get sent a fee asssessment questionnaire? I got sent one wonder why

Nope didn't receive one (yet).
Original post by That Seagull
Nope didn't receive one (yet).

I haven’t received one either
Original post by a-aron
First year most people stay in the Vale. After that, people tend to move out with their friends in houses in Selly Oak or Harborne.

Do you have to re apply for accommodation every year, and for medical students do you think getting an apartment on right move is better than student halls or vice Versa?
Reply 394
Original post by car1039
Do you have to re apply for accommodation every year, and for medical students do you think getting an apartment on right move is better than student halls or vice Versa?

Yep you have to re-apply every year, and the give priority to freshers. This pretty much means it's really difficult to get uni accommodation any subsequent year because the uni doesn't even have enough housing for freshers, let alone everyone else.

Most people tend to stay in uni accommodations first year to get to know others, then move into houses afterwards. For med students specifically, first and second year doesn't matter too much as you spend pretty much all of your time at the medical school. In clinical years I would suggest looking for someplace with a good location (unless you drive) because you spend all of your time traveling to hospitals.
Reply 395
Original post by Porkchopss
if u don’t mind sharing, wat was your UKCAT score?

My total is different from ones everyone would have now because my year they were trialing the decision making section and so it didn't count for us. My memory is a bit blurry but I think my average was around 700-715?
How did those who did interviews today find it?
Original post by a-aron
Yep you have to re-apply every year, and the give priority to freshers. This pretty much means it's really difficult to get uni accommodation any subsequent year because the uni doesn't even have enough housing for freshers, let alone everyone else.

Most people tend to stay in uni accommodations first year to get to know others, then move into houses afterwards. For med students specifically, first and second year doesn't matter too much as you spend pretty much all of your time at the medical school. In clinical years I would suggest looking for someplace with a good location (unless you drive) because you spend all of your time traveling to hospitals.

Thank you! Do you think after the two or so years I should rent a flat or buy a house with friends independent from the university? The only sad thing about that is that we have to still pay rent in summer too
Reply 398
Original post by desperateintl

That's weird:confused:
Original post by desperateintl

same....

Latest

Trending

Trending