The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
Graduates are not scored in the same way as school leavers for A100. You need to meet minimum requirements and then they assess on UCAT alone, cut off last year 2590. They also say:
"The personal statement must describe evidence of a high level of commitment to medicine (particularly through voluntary experiences) and strong personal qualities, evidenced by significant and substantial extracurricular involvement"

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/entry-requirements-five-year-programme.aspx

Thank you for this insight. I was actually considering Birmingham until I saw this.
Reply 82
Original post by As.1997
Thank you for this insight. I was actually considering Birmingham until I saw this.

Always read all information available on a med schools website
Original post by GANFYD
Always read all information available on a med schools website

Will do. It's so sad that Cardiff requires GAMSAT for post grads. Another I have to cross off. :frown:
what was the cut-off for undergrads last year? i’m an intl applicant and got a 2730
Reply 85
Original post by desperateintl
what was the cut-off for undergrads last year? i’m an intl applicant and got a 2730

The cut off for internationals last year is on their website
I'm thinking of applying here for medicine- can y'all tell me what you like about this uni?
Original post by THALCEDONY
I'm thinking of applying here for medicine- can y'all tell me what you like about this uni?

I have moved your post to the Birmingham A100 Medicine applicants' thread. It's a far busier thread.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 学生の父
I have moved your post to the Birmingham A100 Medicine applicants' thread.

Thanks... Iroh?
Original post by THALCEDONY
Thanks... Iroh?

You recognised me! I'm now lurking on TSR.
everyone i’ve seen has literally done 11 gcses and got 9’s in everything is 8 grade 8’s for gcse good enough to do medicine in uni of birmingham?
Reply 91
yes.
Original post by étudiant fatigué
everyone i’ve seen has literally done 11 gcses and got 9’s in everything is 8 grade 8’s for gcse good enough to do medicine in uni of birmingham?

Depends on your UCAT score - they score 60% GCSE’s and 40% UCAT.
Original post by étudiant fatigué

This is the response the University of Birmingham gave on 30 April 2019 to a Freedom of Information request entitled Reformed GCSE A100 grades.

The question was, "Seeing as the GCSE grades of the applicants for 2020 entry will be most, if not all
numerical grades, I would like to ask whether in the near future (2020 or 2021 entry),
a grade 9 may be ranked higher than a grade 8; although currently they are both
classified as A*, and whether during the initial assessment period, a candidate with
all grade 9s would be given priority over someone who achieved all grade 8s, for
example."

And the response given was, "The University has no plans to adjust its GCSE scoring system for medicine.
Therefore, it will continue to give the same recognition to GCSE grades 8 and 9.
Please note that entry requirements are reviewed on an annual basis."
Reply 94
For those who have applied to bham does your online enquiry service even work?
are lectured for medical students recorded at Birmingham uni?
Reply 96
im confused about how they score GCSE's because the maximum score is 6?
Original post by ha4567m
im confused about how they score GCSE's because the maximum score is 6?

Read this thread, post 40 explains it. Work out your score out of 24 and divide by 4.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by charlotte.nb
are lectured for medical students recorded at Birmingham uni?

Yep! All of our lectures are recorded so you can rewatch them whenever you want!
Reply 99
I am a bit confused about my birmingham score
My results are GCSE 8 A* (Maths biology, chemistry and german)
4 A ( English language and literature)
UCAT 2730 SJT 3
Can somebody help

Latest