Turn on thread page Beta

Wow... They absolutely slaughtered Northern Lights with Golden Compass watch

ReputationRep:
    So much of the story missing.

So many useless bits in comparison left in.

And the ending just chopped off entirely!

I feel really sorry for anyone who's watching the movies instead of reading the books. I mean I know a lot needs to be chopped out because of time issues sometimes, but they've killed the characters from the story, they seem to bland in comparison.

I don't know why they've done this. It's not like it's impossible to keep the personality of the characters from books. Harry Potter managed it to a good enough degree. Lord of the Rings managed to keep everyone resembling their book character's personality.

But in this, Lord Fa's blood thirsty, Lyra's a whiny brat etc.

I've been looking at a lot of book -> movie films lately, but are there any that actually manage it well?

ReputationRep:
    The 1971 Willy Wonka manages it very well. As do Roger Corman's Edgar Allen Poe films, but some may disagree with me there.

ReputationRep:
    Two films I actually think are better than the books are Breakfast at Tiffany's and Gone with the Wind. Not so much the latter because the book itself is okay, but the former was not a great novella by any means - it needed someone like Audrey Hepburn to make the character likeable.

The directors/producers of Lord of the Rings I think did an excellent job - shame that Harry Potter didn't, IMO. I really couldn't stand the films, and somehow, they felt 'cheap' to me, even though I'm sure they had money poured into them. I hope they're remade at a later date, I would love to have HP films...

Golden Compass I haven't seen (I really should, someone I know worked on the concept art for it) but I haven't heard good things.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Golden Compass was good the first time I watched it. I know a lot of story got chopped out and the ending especially got me but I thought they did a good job of getting the atmosphere and all the information and the generel feel of it. Also, Lord Asriel and especially Mrs Coulter were exactly how I imagined them which I loved.

However I watched it again today and ohmygosh the script is horrendous!!! And some of those kids CANNOT act! But I'm still excited about the next one

As for other book to film jobs I think Lord of the Rings is the one that stands out to me. I know they changed a lot from the books etc but tbh I actually prefer the films, the books are way too slow and long winded. I also think The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was pretty good too as it's a short book so they didn't have to cut out much, I think they did a pretty nice film out of it and I'm excited about Prince Caspian now

ReputationRep:
    I heard they canned the sequels? I hope that's not true =(

I mean I know they missed out a whole load of story, but I still thought it was a very good movie...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    I heard they canned the sequels? I hope that's not true =(
    Same, and for good reason: I think that it'd be one of those films that holds up better if you view it with the rest of the trilogy, similar to the Matrix sequels (on their own? Not that great. As part of a trilogy? Actually pretty great!).

But if the sequels have been ****-canned, that'd be a massive bummer; the next two - particularly The Amber Spyglass - are ridiculously cinematic, and it'd be a shame not to see them on the silver screen.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.