ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago

Welcome to the University of Bristol A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...e/mb-medicine/

For entry requirements click: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...0/medicine.pdf

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Advertisement
Polkadot2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’d sort of ruled Bristol out as was down to PS and loads of people I know applied with great academics and UCAT score didn’t even get an interview. This year however I hear there’s been a complete turn around and now it’s all down to UCAT for interview. Would be really interested to hear from anybody who thinking of applying to Bristol this year, and also from anyone who has experience of admissions at Bristol. Is there anything different or special they seek from candidates?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Polkadot2018)
I’d sort of ruled Bristol out as was down to PS and loads of people I know applied with great academics and UCAT score didn’t even get an interview. This year however I hear there’s been a complete turn around and now it’s all down to UCAT for interview. Would be really interested to hear from anybody who thinking of applying to Bristol this year, and also from anyone who has experience of admissions at Bristol. Is there anything different or special they seek from candidates?
2019 entry was the first year Bristol solely used UCAT for interview selection. The cut off was around 690
Advertisement
stuntmanhy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
2019 entry was the first year Bristol solely used UCAT for interview selection. The cut off was around 690
Can we expect the cut off to be higher this year? Given that there was some uncertainty last year as it was the first time they used UCAT, people with lower UCAT scores might have still gambled on Bristol. This year it is known that the cut off is high and people with a score lower than 690 are probably less likely to apply, thus pushing up the average score of applicants.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by stuntmanhy)
Can we expect the cut off to be higher this year? Given that there was some uncertainty last year as it was the first time they used UCAT, people with lower UCAT scores might have still gambled on Bristol. This year it is known that the cut off is high and people with a score lower than 690 are probably less likely to apply, thus pushing up the average score of applicants.
Who knows - this is the gamble in medical admissions!
People with lower UKCATs applying last year won't have affected the cut off, they do not use an average - they will have decided how many people they wanted to interview and just counted down that number from the top, making that their cut off. I suspect it will stay 680+. Bristol has always been an incredibly popular med school and is unlikely to be short of applicants with a high UCAT score, but just occasionally people are too frightened to apply with scores 670-700 so they have to drop the cut off a bit to have enough interviewees (this has happened to Newcastle previously)
Advertisement
AliRiz1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I applied Bristol last year with a score of 2790 and got an interview. But some people with 2780 did not get an interview and some with even 2800.
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In your opinion/experience, once they have selected for interview using UCAT, is their selection process then based similarly to other medical schools, as in performance at MMI, or are they looking for evidence of specific skills/extra-curriculars using personal statements, scoring academics also etc?
Advertisement
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In your opinion/experience, once they have selected for interview using UCAT, is their selection process then based similarly to other medical schools, as in performance at MMI, or are they looking for evidence of specific skills/extra-curriculars using personal statements, scoring academics also etc?
They purely select on MMI performance. Academics and PS are not marked/scored
Chickenhead11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do u know if Bristol consider the EPQ? If so In what way?
Advertisement
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Chickenhead11)
Do u know if Bristol consider the EPQ? If so In what way?
No, they do not. As per their website:
"As we do not weight A Levels or GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications), applicants who are predicted to, or have already achieved our minimum academic entry requirements will then have their application scored with a 100% weighting on the UCAT result, which will be used to select candidates for interview."
Chickenhead11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No, they do not. As per their website:
"As we do not weight A Levels or GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications), applicants who are predicted to, or have already achieved our minimum academic entry requirements will then have their application scored with a 100% weighting on the UCAT result, which will be used to select candidates for interview."
But it won’t effect the grade requirements? (Eg. Hull York will amend their requirement to be AAB with EPQ)
Advertisement
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Chickenhead11)
But it won’t effect the grade requirements? (Eg. Hull York will amend their requirement to be AAB with EPQ)
No, Bristol want AAA for standard applicants and more qualifications do not change that.
Sheffield, QUB and HYMS lower requirements with and EPQ, and Manchester will count it towards scoring via their holistic route, otherwise it adds nothing unless people are tied on other scoring, in which case some places take additional academics into account
Chickenhead11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No, Bristol want AAA for standard applicants and more qualifications do not change that.
Sheffield, QUB and HYMS lower requirements with and EPQ, and Manchester will count it towards scoring via their holistic route, otherwise it adds nothing unless people are tied on other scoring, in which case some places take additional academics into account
Ooh ok, thank you so much!
Advertisement
biostudie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I sat the UCAT a few days ago and came out with a score of 2930 (and Band 1 SJT) - should I be confident putting forward an application to Bristol?

Of course, the cutoff will likely change, but does anyone know how likely it is to jump dramatically - eg has it happened at any other universities?

Thanks
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by biostudie)
I sat the UCAT a few days ago and came out with a score of 2930 (and Band 1 SJT) - should I be confident putting forward an application to Bristol?

Of course, the cutoff will likely change, but does anyone know how likely it is to jump dramatically - eg has it happened at any other universities?

Thanks
Th only year cut offs have been over 700 is when the UCAT deciles went crazy about 6 years ago. Look out for the interim and final deciles and provided they are not vastly different from previous years, you will be fine
biostudie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Th only year cut offs have been over 700 is when the UCAT deciles went crazy about 6 years ago. Look out for the interim and final deciles and provided they are not vastly different from previous years, you will be fine
Thanks so much
piposborn19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, Bristol is one of my top choices too and the admissions guy from Bristol came into my school a few months ago to give us some tips on applications!! I know for sure that for 2020 application to Bristol for medicine, they won’t be looking at personal statements but I think it’s best to write one anyway just in case you get an interview and they look at it then, but I know it’s not a factor in deciding whether you get an interview - we were told that the UCAT and predicted grades are the MOST important!! If you get an interview, they’re most likely going to ask why you want to be a doctor and the admissions guy said he would rather you be honest than come up with an extravagant, memorised response. Being genuine is the most important thing. But yes, im pretty sure the UCAT is a hugeeeee factor in your application - hence why i’m so stressed for the exam!
Interview process is MMI and they said you need to highlight your values and attributes, basically having a ‘chat’ with them rather than a really formal interview. They want you to highlight your strengths BUT also recognise the difficulties you’ll face in medicine
Hope this helps
Advertisement
THEallstar2111
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blue Peanut Medical Education)
This is a personal view – Bristol is an excellent medical school. Students and practicing doctors that have studied at that medical school speak very highly of the medical education they received. Bear in mind they do have a ‘contextual offer’ scheme where they can accept A-level grades as low as ABB or AAC if you meet the criterion for the scheme.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...extual-offers/

Blue Peanut Medical Education
https://www.bluepeanut.co.uk
Hi , Could you give me some advice please. So basically I received my a level results and got BBB, I was one mark off an A in chem. I wanted to do medicine and looked at Bristol's gateway course and they don't want an A in chem. However, Nottingham,kings and Anglia ruskin would prefer if I have ABB. So I looked into Bristol's main medicine course and I fall into their contextual category , so do do you think I can pass their minimum requirement with an ABB grade? I haven't done my UCAT yet.

If I don't remark and I apply to Gateway course, I would have less chance in other unis?
what do you think I shud do?
DeetsGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’ll need an A in chemistry for almost all medical schools (although I’ve heard Exeter offer an unconditional to A*AB [B in chemistry] if interview performance is excellent.). My personal advice would be to get it remarked and if you still have a B, resit chemistry and achieve the A. Doing a gateway course will mean you spend £15k doing A level standard content. A gap year in which you resit chemistry will allow you to work full time (make money) whilst revising and universities like gap year applicants.
TSU - Mod
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
The Contextual offer for Bristol's 5 year A100 is AAC - and they mean it. ABB achieved wont do.
The Contextual offer for 2020 entry to Bristol's 5 year A100 is AAC/ABB. ABB is included as stated on their website/ admissions statement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.65%
No (184)
76.35%

Watched Threads