ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago

Welcome to the University of Bristol A108 (Gateway to Medicine) 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...y-to-medicine/

For entry requirements click: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...20/gateway.pdf

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anyone applying for Gateway to Medicine at Bristol?

Introduce yourself here!
Silent0239
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was wondering whether they weight the UCAT results any different than for the A100? Lower cut-off score?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Silent0239)
I was wondering whether they weight the UCAT results any different than for the A100? Lower cut-off score?
This will be the first year that Gateway to Medicine at Bristol will be assessed in exactly the same way as the 5-year A100 course - ie. not reading PS and ranking for interview only on UCAT. Therefore there is no 'previous' year to go on.

Realistically, fewer people are in the mix for Gateway (because far fewer people are eligible to apply) and since they will all come from low-performing schools, its likely that the required UCAT score will be lower than for the 5-year course. There is more info on admissions for the Gateway program in the Admissions Statement (look for the link at the very bottom of the relevant course page on the website - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...y-to-medicine/).
killuaXzoldyck
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey All,

I'm looking to apply to Bristol to study medicine with a foundation year.

According to this link- https://www.ucat.ac.uk/media/1297/us...ult-160818.pdf
They place a 20% weighting on the UCAT, is this still case true for 2020 entry?

Also, does this mean if I did bad on my UCAT, my personal statement could make up for it?

Finally, does anyone know how many places are on this course?

Im sorry if this is quite a lot but I have so many questions, its eating me alive lol.
Thanks for any help
dontevenknow2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Interested also
killuaXzoldyck
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey mate, have you sat your ucat
killuaXzoldyck
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey All,

I'm looking to apply to Bristol to study medicine with a foundation year.

Also, does this mean if I did bad on my UCAT, my personal statement could make up for it?

Finally, does anyone know how many places are on this course?

I'm sorry if this is quite a lot but I have so many questions, its eating me alive lol.
Thanks for any help
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by killuaXzoldyck)

This is out of date information.

Bristol are no longer reading Personal Statements for Gateway to Medicine (btw, its not a 'Foundation' courses as its exclusively Widening Participation with specific criteria so check you are eligible before you apply).

There is more info on admissions for the Gateway program in the Admissions Statement (look for the link at the very bottom of the relevant course page on the website - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...y-to-medicine/). Like the 5 year course, all applicants who meet the entry requirements will be ranked only on their UCAT score and highest scorers are invited to interview. (Also read my reply to another question above).
coolbeans63
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
This is out of date information.

Bristol are no longer reading Personal Statements for Gateway to Medicine (btw, its not a 'Foundation' courses as its exclusively Widening Participation with specific criteria so check you are eligible before you apply).

There is more info on admissions for the Gateway program in the Admissions Statement (look for the link at the very bottom of the relevant course page on the website - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...y-to-medicine/). Like the 5 year course, all applicants who meet the entry requirements will be ranked only on their UCAT score and highest scorers are invited to interview. (Also read my reply to another question above).
Heya. Just wondering, the highest UCAT score means which percentile roughly? Thanks.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by coolbeans63)
Heya. Just wondering, the highest UCAT score means which percentile roughly? Thanks.
Please see #4 above from me - answering exactly this question.
aalixyh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"1.2 Academic eligibility

If an applicant has achieved or is predicted to achieve above or below the A level (or equivalent) grade ranges as stated on the relevant online course page on the University’s website, they will not be eligible for the Gateway programme, "

so if I have a predicted of A* A* A I wont be considered.
earthykay22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aalixyh)
"1.2 Academic eligibility

If an applicant has achieved or is predicted to achieve above or below the A level (or equivalent) grade ranges as stated on the relevant online course page on the University’s website, they will not be eligible for the Gateway programme, "

so if I have a predicted of A* A* A I wont be considered.
I would call/email them to make sure.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by earthykay22)
I would call/email them to make sure.
The wording on the course page is quite clear.
Essentially, you can't be eligible for both the contextual offer on the 5-year program and for the 6-year Gateway program. that is why it is worded in the way it is. If you apply for the Gateway program with high grades you will get an immediate rejection so its a totally wasted choice.
bathtimecheetah
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I’ll hopefully be applying soon 🙂
Bit worried that it’s only UCAT this year

But how’s everyone else’s process going?
earthykay22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m worried about the UCAT too - don’t know what the actual average will be seeing as the interim results seem a little a low compared to last year.
bathtimecheetah
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by earthykay22)
I’m worried about the UCAT too - don’t know what the actual average will be seeing as the interim results seem a little a low compared to last year.
Ikr it’s so stressful not knowing. They publish the final averages on the 7th but that’ll be after my application is sent off
z2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I'm applying to gateway medicine and i emailed them a month ago asking what their cut off score is like for UCAT in gateway medicine and they have said that they don't have a cut off score for UCAT in gateway medicine
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by z2002)
Hey, I'm applying to gateway medicine and i emailed them a month ago asking what their cut off score is like for UCAT in gateway medicine and they have said that they don't have a cut off score for UCAT in gateway medicine
Please see #4 message above - all of it.
z2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Please see #4 message above - all of it.
Yes, I know but they have emailed me stating there is no cut-off score for UCAT in gateway medicine whereas they do in standard medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (31)
18.02%
Unconditional if firmed (13)
7.56%
Unconditional if insurance (1)
0.58%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (3)
1.74%
No unconditional offers (124)
72.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed