sweetietweetie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MankyShoe)
awsies thank you im so happy w it!!! i worked crazy hard ngl to you. i did about four weeks solid work in the summer- i did all of 700 q(i think is the best resource) the first week, then i mucked abt on bmat ninja for a bit plus did the uni admissions book(i forget what its called, ultimate bmat guide i think?) i didnt do as many past papers as i would have liked to(not that it mattered ) i did a lot of them untimed bc for me timing wasnt a biiig problem esp paper 1( had abt ten minutes leftover- im just quick at exams i guess) but i wish id done a bit more timing on paper 2- i had to guess two maths q in that bc i ran out of time, (also get used to skipping maths q- they seem to be in there to waste time- on maths spend ten seconds, if the method isnt obvious just skip and come back/guess, otherwise you might get it but miss five easy marks later) my scores on practice papers went from 5.9 on my first go so like working really does help.the more questions you do the bettter i think. also for section 2 i literally downloaded the exam board guide for all subjects- even ones i did and revised all the pages- helps!
even if you cant bring yourself to practice paper, just do the q untimed, but try not to waste all the papers doing that ypu know, the more recent the paper the more useful t is also. are you doing october?
omg literally so helpful, yeah im doing october and that ultimate bmat guide, i've heard that a lot of people swear by it so i'm going to get it!
bruh you DEFO worked hard for it so you deserve it, well done! you've proper given me some motivation and a kick up the backside, rlly appreciate it!
section 1 must be your bestie because i've never heard ppl having time left over on it looool
MankyShoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by sweetietweetie)
omg literally so helpful, yeah im doing october and that ultimate bmat guide, i've heard that a lot of people swear by it so i'm going to get it!
bruh you DEFO worked hard for it so you deserve it, well done! you've proper given me some motivation and a kick up the backside, rlly appreciate it!
section 1 must be your bestie because i've never heard ppl having time left over on it looool
i honestly found the 700q was the best, also unlike the ucat- books are better for the bmat bc its a paper exam- it took me more time than i wantd to get started- i certainly dont envy you trying to do it with schoolwork!i found loads of people saying that its very hard to improve your bmat score - again i started out 5.9 in my first two goes and then my last couple papers were all above 8, i hit a big spike about four days pre exam, so i certainly dont think thats true. can you access the section 2 gudes, you have to make an account but its free- its super super useful. good luck!! remember it will be worth it later!!!
Bookwork90
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MankyShoe)
i honestly found the 700q was the best, also unlike the ucat- books are better for the bmat bc its a paper exam- it took me more time than i wantd to get started- i certainly dont envy you trying to do it with schoolwork!i found loads of people saying that its very hard to improve your bmat score - again i started out 5.9 in my first two goes and then my last couple papers were all above 8, i hit a big spike about four days pre exam, so i certainly dont think thats true. can you access the section 2 gudes, you have to make an account but its free- its super super useful. good luck!! remember it will be worth it later!!!
AMAZING SCORE!!!!!
Mine is in october and I am totally dreading it....I have been putting in a lot of work but i am NOT improving
Also which colleges are you guys thinking of....i am so stuck!!
I am deciding between Downing or St johns!
This is for Cambridge btw
puravi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by davidthomasjnr)
You need to declare that, otherwise they can reject you, even if you get offered a place and they find out later.
but why? If they ask me then I will tell them but if they don't ask then I will not reveal anything. It's not written anywhere that you can't apply/get an offer if you are currently in University.
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Discussion of other social media groups and links to them on tsr is against tsr rules
Last edited by ecolier; 6 months ago
Mom2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)

Welcome to the Cambridge A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....urses/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....quirements.pdf

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Hi does anyone know whether the personal statement has an impact on interview chances at Cambridge? my daughter has written hers, it's mostly about her work experience--there is only one paragraph on academics (her independent work for the IB). should she spend the time to revise it? for the other unis she is applying to--Cardiff and Leeds--the PS seems fine as is. thanks!
Dr. Doc Thor
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Mom2)
Hi does anyone know whether the personal statement has an impact on interview chances at Cambridge? my daughter has written hers, it's mostly about her work experience--there is only one paragraph on academics (her independent work for the IB). should she spend the time to revise it? for the other unis she is applying to--Cardiff and Leeds--the PS seems fine as is. thanks!
I don’t really think that ps is that important for Cambridge interview. I think academic grades and bmat are probably more important (but its dependent on the college).

Which colleges are people choosing? And how are you choosing them?
Mom2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Dr. Doc Thor)
I don’t really think that ps is that important for Cambridge interview. I think academic grades and bmat are probably more important (but its dependent on the college).

Which colleges are people choosing? And how are you choosing them?
Thanks. My daughter is studying the IB and does not have GCSEs. Oxford seems to take into account only BMATs in extending interviews when there are no GCSEs and as she has excellent predicted grades this means Cambridge is a less risky bet. A bit concerned about the low student satisfaction and how college rape is handled.

Completely new at this, from outside the UK and only looked at a few colleges, but for what it's worth, Clare and Newnham seem nice--based on facilities, location and supporting environment. I read that you should not pick your college based on the supervisors who live there, as the colleges arrange supervision with supervisors coming from other colleges. Would love your views on this.
MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are there any particularly BMAT heavy colleges? I am confident that I can score 7+ in sections 1 & 2 of the BMAT, but at GCSE I only got 3 A*, 5 As and 3 Bs so not very confident of even receiving an interview (i was super lazy when i did my GCSEs and didn't work hard enough, evidently :/ ). I picked it up for AS levels and got AAAB (B in further maths, As in chem, maths, bio). Any chance of an interview if i apply strategically to a BMAT heavy college?

Any reply is much appreciated, thank you very much!
Mom2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MedicPls)
Are there any particularly BMAT heavy colleges? I am confident that I can score 7+ in sections 1 & 2 of the BMAT, but at GCSE I only got 3 A*, 5 As and 3 Bs so not very confident of even receiving an interview (i was super lazy when i did my GCSEs and didn't work hard enough, evidently :/ ). I picked it up for AS levels and got AAAB (B in further maths, As in chem, maths, bio). Any chance of an interview if i apply strategically to a BMAT heavy college?

Any reply is much appreciated, thank you very much!
Brighton? They select based on BMAT for interview and have low entry standards.
MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Mom2)
Brighton? They select based on BMAT for interview and have low entry standards.
I mean a cambridge college rather than a separate uni, but thank you
Dr. Doc Thor
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MedicPls)
I mean a cambridge college rather than a separate uni, but thank you
Tbh most colleges are similarly bmat heavy so in that respect it doesn’t really matter
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
At interview are you expected to know the entire a level courses you’re taking? Because I’m worried they may ask a question relating to a topic we haven’t covered yet.(if I get an interview(unlikely))
10oba-abbad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Sososnake)
At interview are you expected to know the entire a level courses you’re taking? Because I’m worried they may ask a question relating to a topic we haven’t covered yet.(if I get an interview(unlikely))
Don’t Cambridge interview a v high proportion of candidates? I think it’s Oxford who are v selective w their interviews.
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 10oba-abbad)
Don’t Cambridge interview a v high proportion of candidates? I think it’s Oxford who are v selective w their interviews.
Some colleges interview more than others but usually its above 50%, but do you know if you need to know more than AS/ first half of A2
StudentOnTheRoom
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Some colleges interview more than others but usually its above 50%, but do you know if you need to know more than AS/ first half of A2
You don't need to know more content than what you already have already been taught
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by StudentOnTheRoom)
You don't need to know more content than what you already have already been taught
But how will they know how much I’ve been taught? By interview season we will not even be halfway through A2 biology and chemistry
Dr. Doc Thor
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
But how will they know how much I’ve been taught? By interview season we will not even be halfway through A2 biology and chemistry
When u fill out the SAQ they will ask which topics u have covered by interview
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Dr. Doc Thor)
When u fill out the SAQ they will ask which topics u have covered by interview
Really? That’s great thank you so much for answering 😁
StudentOnTheRoom
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Everyone has this problem, but nobody learns all the A2 biology (or chemistry) content just for interviews. They will suss out how experienced you are with a topic when they ask you questions, or if it isn't obvious at all, just say "we haven't covered this yet, but..." and then try give an answer. The guy above says you include it in your SAQ, so look into that. At Oxford there is no SAQ and they manage just fine there, so don't worry either way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads