How is BMAT prep going guys?
Not great :/ hoping to finish section 2 notes soon
TCL
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by MedicPls)
Are there any particularly BMAT heavy colleges? I am confident that I can score 7+ in sections 1 & 2 of the BMAT, but at GCSE I only got 3 A*, 5 As and 3 Bs so not very confident of even receiving an interview (i was super lazy when i did my GCSEs and didn't work hard enough, evidently :/ ). I picked it up for AS levels and got AAAB (B in further maths, As in chem, maths, bio). Any chance of an interview if i apply strategically to a BMAT heavy college?

Any reply is much appreciated, thank you very much!
A bit late, but 80% of home applicants are interviewed and around 25% of those interviewed get offers. They will interview most people predicted at least A*A*A, BMAT would have to be bad to discount you from interview, but you will have to do a more impressive interview if the BMAT score is not good (at least 5 in section 1 and 2). They do not take much notice of GCSEs, and do contextualise and like to see an upward trajectory.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by StudentOnTheRoom)
Everyone has this problem, but nobody learns all the A2 biology (or chemistry) content just for interviews. They will suss out how experienced you are with a topic when they ask you questions, or if it isn't obvious at all, just say "we haven't covered this yet, but..." and then try give an answer. The guy above says you include it in your SAQ, so look into that. At Oxford there is no SAQ and they manage just fine there, so don't worry either way.
Well, that is the theory - my son dropped Biology after AS and was still asked A2 Biology questions last year, so if you have the confidence to tell them you have not covered something, that may help you.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Harrybeld)
Hi guys I've got a dilemma. Is it worth applying to Cambridge with poor GCSE's (776666655 science and maths all 6 English lang 7)?My A levels are A*A*A*(A in Biology, chemistry and maths) and I believe my personal statement is strong. If I smash the BMAT is it worth applying? The dilemma is that I can only apply to either Cambridge or Plymouth because of my low GCSE's. Plymouth is 5 hours from where I live and I really don't want to be that far from home. Do you know anyone who has gotten into Cambridge with low GCSE's? Any help will be massively appreciated. Thank you
There is info on this on whatdotheyknow. It is rare, but it happens.
crusty kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
is it easier to get into Cambridge med school than most other schools? I heard 1 in 5 get in, but in imperial for example, 1 in 10 get in.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by crusty kebab)
is it easier to get into Cambridge med school than most other schools? I heard 1 in 5 get in, but in imperial for example, 1 in 10 get in.
But most applicants are predicted at least A*A*A so the application cohort is self-selecting to a certain extent. It is not easier, just different.
puravi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
anyone applying to Peterhouse?
crusty kebab
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
But most applicants are predicted at least A*A*A so the application cohort is self-selecting to a certain extent. It is not easier, just different.
is it harder to get into Oxford?
mfaliuk14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Does anyone know what research opportunities Cambridge provides while studying there? Just filling out my SAQ and thought talking about research opportunities would be useful
_chinenye__
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hii. I just applied to Cambridge for medicine and they asked me to fill in the SAQ form. I was just wondering what exactly you're meant to include in it? Could you include work experience or is it just like extracurricular activities?
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by crusty kebab)
is it harder to get into Oxford?
It is certainly harder to get an interview as you need a lot of A*s. The standard offer is A*AA though, so lower than Cambridge.
MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
A bit late, but 80% of home applicants are interviewed and around 25% of those interviewed get offers. They will interview most people predicted at least A*A*A, BMAT would have to be bad to discount you from interview, but you will have to do a more impressive interview if the BMAT score is not good (at least 5 in section 1 and 2). They do not take much notice of GCSEs, and do contextualise and like to see an upward trajectory.
thanks a lot
username4889168
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Sososnake)
Not great :/ hoping to finish section 2 notes soon
the revision guide is absolutely massive!!!
Sososnake
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by baluman)
the revision guide is absolutely massive!!!
I’ve only made notes on all of physics and then stuff I’ve forgotten/ never learnt on the other stuff
bixol
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Do I really need 4 a levels to have a chance at Cambridge medical school?

I did chem, physics, bio and maths at AS but I dropped physics after AS and now I’m doing 3 a levels.

Say I get all A* in all 3 with full UMS and I apply after a gap year with my achieved grades, do I stand a chance?

Any advice will be appreciated!!
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by bixol)
Do I really need 4 a levels to have a chance at Cambridge medical school?

I did chem, physics, bio and maths at AS but I dropped physics after AS and now I’m doing 3 a levels.

Say I get all A* in all 3 with full UMS and I apply after a gap year with my achieved grades, do I stand a chance?

Any advice will be appreciated!!
You only need 3, any offer will be based on 3 from most colleges even if you are doing 4. Most state schools only let you do 3 A levels now, so would be unfair to discriminate. Have you applied this year?
hopefulmedic_32
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by puravi)
anyone applying to Peterhouse?
I am, what drew you to peterhouse? which subject are you applying for?
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hopefulmedic_32)
I am, what drew you to peterhouse? which subject are you applying for?
This is A100 thread so medicine haha
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
anyone applying clare?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads