Healthy way to live or not??!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Around 5 months ago, I realised I was fat (as in overweight by 12kg) so I decided to do something about it. I decided to do intermittent fasting everyday which quickly progressed to one meal a day which then quickly processed to eating nothing (I wanna say I starved myself but I don’t think that’s a good term to use since I don’t have an ED or disordered eating...or maybe I do..?)

I was doing this on and off for the past couple months. I felt guilty whenever I ate (some days I never, sometimes I felt really guilty to the point of crying). I was scared to gain the weight I lost (I lost around 7kg..not a lot I know). I tried to exercise and I never used to. I made sure I walked everywhere and lost as much calories as I can. Whenever I lost a lot of calories, I won’t eat much or eat at all sometimes( what’s the point of me eating the calories I’ve lost?) I weighed myself everyday ( 3times a day atleast), bought a food scale to weight my food, counted calories( not fully focused on it rn but it’s still in the back of my head but I used to be fully on it). Sometimes hated food but I know I need it to live...

My questions are: is this normal for someone who’s trying to lose weight to think like that? Should I stop? Should I carry on?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I'm afraid that you have progressed to an ED, you're showing the behaviours that I had during mine, especially the not eating and feeling guilty part. Feel free to message me <3
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What you're doing isn't normal. I don't understand why people think starving themselves is the way to go to lose weight. If you want to lose weight, you need to do something that you're willing to be consistent with for the long-term (in terms of years). What you're doing right now is looking short-term and hoping you'd see a difference almost immediately every morning when in reality, you're just going to gain all that back once you go back to a normal routine or constantly starve yourself till you develop something.

The ideal goal is to remain consistent, e.g. 3 good meals a day and doing cardio for 30 minutes, four times a week for 6 months. Not "oh let me starve myself and not eat anything until I lose everything and damage my body even further".
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm afraid that you have progressed to an ED, you're showing the behaviours that I had during mine, especially the not eating and feeling guilty part. Feel free to message me <3
But regardless of feeling guilty and not eating, I do eat normally sometimes.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Xarao)
What you're doing isn't normal. I don't understand why people think starving themselves is the way to go to lose weight. If you want to lose weight, you need to do something that you're willing to be consistent with for the long-term (in terms of years). What you're doing right now is looking short-term and hoping you'd see a difference almost immediately every morning when in reality, you're just going to gain all that back once you go back to a normal routine or constantly starve yourself till you develop something.

The ideal goal is to remain consistent, e.g. 3 good meals a day and doing cardio for 30 minutes, four times a week for 6 months. Not "oh let me starve myself and not eat anything until I lose everything and damage my body even further".
Neither do I. Is just because I heard you burn fat after 16hrs of fasting
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Neither do I. Is just because I heard you burn fat after 16hrs of fasting
I'm not even going to debate whether that's true or not.

But is this something that you're willing to do everyday for the rest of your life?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m starting a 4 day fast tomorrow OP and afterwards will be setting out a calorie limit afterwards which I will be sticking to for however long it takes to lose the weight I want to.

From what you wrote it sounds like you would be better to do the 5:2 diet rather than random eating. If you pick a few hours for 5 days a week that you’ll eat in and the rest of the time you don’t that should help a lot and won’t mean you need to give up eating. If you’re worried about having an ED then that’s probably the best way I’d recommend.
Last edited by Bio 7; 1 year ago
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Xarao)

But is this something that you're willing to do everyday for the rest of your life?
You don’t have to do that every day forever. Once the weight is lost there are easy ways of just not eating excess so you don’t regain the weight.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Xarao)

Not everyday maybe 5days of the 7 days
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not everyday maybe 5days of the 7 days
You clearly need help, go to your GP.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bio 7)
I’m starting a 4 day fast tomorrow OP and afterwards will be setting out a calorie limit afterwards which I will be sticking to for however long it takes to lose the weight I want to.

From what you wrote it sounds like you would be better to do the 5:2 diet rather than random eating. If you pick a few hours for 5 days a week that you’ll eat in and the rest of the time you don’t that should help a lot and won’t mean you need to give up eating. If you’re worried about having an ED then that’s probably the best way I’d recommend.
Ooooo thank you. The sounds great. I’ll look further into it. I don’t really think I’ve got an ED tbh
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Xarao)
You clearly need help, go to your GP.
🙊will do x. Thank you
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ooooo thank you. The sounds great. I’ll look further into it. I don’t really think I’ve got an ED tbh
It sounds more like confusion as to how to lose weight best, once you have a plan you are happy with then I wouldn’t say it would be an ED.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bio 7)
It sounds more like confusion as to how to lose weight best, once you have a plan you are happy with then I wouldn’t say it would be an ED.
I think so too tbh. Good luck on tmrw. How are you mentally preparing yourself for your water fast?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think so too tbh. Good luck on tmrw. How are you mentally preparing yourself for your water fast?
I know I have a feast planned on Saturday before seeing a film, Far From Home, so I’m just preparing for that. I’m really sick of my extra weight so I’ve finally started taking bigger steps.

I used to eat a lot of pies, biscuits and so on for a few years when I was still in secondary and because it worked out that I only ate between 4pm and 11pm my weight stayed pretty constant, for the most part. So I’m doing a few days now and moving back to that kind of plan.
Thinking about feeling better in a few months is enough to motivate me at last.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bio 7)
I know I have a feast planned on Saturday before seeing a film, Far From Home, so I’m just preparing for that. I’m really sick of my extra weight so I’ve finally started taking bigger steps.

I used to eat a lot of pies, biscuits and so on for a few years when I was still in secondary and because it worked out that I only ate between 4pm and 11pm my weight stayed pretty constant, for the most part. So I’m doing a few days now and moving back to that kind of plan.
Thinking about feeling better in a few months is enough to motivate me at last.
Once you cut eating those pies and biscuits you’ll loose the weight really quickly but I wouldn’t suggest cutting it all out quickly because you’ll end up binging on them. Good luck!!
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Once you cut eating those pies and biscuits you’ll loose the weight really quickly but I wouldn’t suggest cutting it all out quickly because you’ll end up binging on them. Good luck!!
Fortunately they're gone years ago. Though mainly because there are no nearby bakeries with pies I like. My move to uni took the pies with it.

They key is don't make big meals and eat all of it. I'll be starting to eat them over 2 days from next week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads