A_J_B
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by BlazeHunterz)
My friend; let me explain in terms that you may understand...

OXBRIDGE REFERS TO OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE... SEEING AS YOU CAN ONLY APPLY TO EITHER OR I AM USING THEM BOTH TOGETHER AS THEY ARE THE HARDEST UNIVERSITIES TO GET INTO

As for 25/27 being the cut off for 2019, you are simply incorrect. Sorry, there's no other way to put it. It appears you have made a severe and continuous lapse in your judgement. It was actually 24/27.
That was the average score of applicants not the cutoff score.
Yashchou
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by A_J_B)
That was the average score of applicants not the cutoff score.
does Cardiff have to score any best 9 GCSE s or they have to include English language compulsorily in this? my son had 7 for English lit and 6 For English language. wondered whether the 6 in English language can be omitted for best 9 GCSE calculation? thanks
Elissamoor123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Yashchou)
does Cardiff have to score any best 9 GCSE s or they have to include English language compulsorily in this? my son had 7 for English lit and 6 For English language. wondered whether the 6 in English language can be omitted for best 9 GCSE calculation? thanks
no they will include English language in their calculations but not English lit
Yashchou
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Elissamoor123)
no they will include English language in their calculations but not English lit
does nonacademic criteria get scored along with academic criteria before interview invitations done or only applications that met academic criteria are assessed further for nonacademic criteria before decisions for interview are done?
Elissamoor123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
n

(Original post by Yashchou)
does nonacademic criteria get scored along with academic criteria before interview invitations done or only applications that met academic criteria are assessed further for nonacademic criteria before decisions for interview are done?
only academic criteria
Yashchou
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
thanks for prompt reply
Cardiff websites says following
Interviews are offered to applicants who achieve the highest positions according to their academic and non-academic rankings
thats why got confused
Drexx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My school just decided to Eff my predicted grades. I was in 3 As in my grades. But with all this new averaging the grade policy thing it went downt to ABB because aparently I haven't been consistent with my work in the past. But I have 9A* S in my GCSES . Am I still eligible to apply for Cardiff?.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Drexx)
My school just decided to Eff my predicted grades. I was in 3 As in my grades. But with all this new averaging the grade policy thing it went downt to ABB because aparently I haven't been consistent with my work in the past. But I have 9A* S in my GCSES . Am I still eligible to apply for Cardiff?.
Cardiff have previously stated they do not look at predicted grades at all
varshb
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by flowergirl15)
what was 2019 cut off for cardiff?
According to an FOI response by the Admissions Team, the cut off was 24/27 for 2019 entry.
jademckeown9.7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, do you need to have sat the GAMSAT as a graduate applying for their undergraduate A100 degree ??

I’m confused, my friend applied last year to the undergraduate degree as a graduate without the gamsat and got an interview!

I’m so stressed because I keep ringing and emailing and they haven’t replied but the deadline is
Drexx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Cardiff have previously stated they do not look at predicted grades at all
Thanks very much mate.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by jademckeown9.7)
Hi, do you need to have sat the GAMSAT as a graduate applying for their undergraduate A100 degree ??

I’m confused, my friend applied last year to the undergraduate degree as a graduate without the gamsat and got an interview!

I’m so stressed because I keep ringing and emailing and they haven’t replied but the deadline is
This is covered on their website under Admissions Tests
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...icine/medicine
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by varshb)
According to an FOI response by the Admissions Team, the cut off was 24/27 for 2019 entry.
That was an average score, and does not clearly exclude contextuals. I also says for 2018/19 which I suspect means 2018 entry, given that at the end of August (when this FOI was made), med schools would not have finalised info for the 2019 entry cohort. If you check the website at the moment, they are talking of the 2020/21 cycle, ie 2020 entry running to 2021 - different unis use "cycle" to mean different things.
They have (reluctantly) stated that the minimum score to receive an interview for a standard, non-contextual applicant was 26 for 2018 entry and 25 for 2019 entry
onwosu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What would you say is evidence of a balanced approach to life?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by onwosu)
What would you say is evidence of a balanced approach to life?
I think the traditional answer is a drink in each hand?
medic.1621
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In my GCSES I got 9 9's and 2 7's ( one of the 7's was in English language) hence my score will be 26/27. Tbh I am not sure if the cutoff will go to 27 but if it does, applicants that achieve a higher number of the grade 9's but not in one of their compulsory scoring subjects miss out.
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by medic.1621)
In my GCSES I got 9 9's and 2 7's ( one of the 7's was in English language) hence my score will be 26/27. Tbh I am not sure if the cutoff will go to 27 but if it does, applicants that achieve a higher number of the grade 9's but not in one of their compulsory scoring subjects miss out.
I appreciate this, and it very frustrating. when I applied I was in the same position, (had all A*s and 1A but the A was in a compulsory subject) so my score was also 26/27.

we will have to see what happens, I don't think we can predict it at this stage. I do think it makes sense for Cardiff to specify subjects which must be scored as its a way to sort of even our those who do many more GCSEs with those who only do 9. I know some students who had like 14 GCSEs.

best of luck with your application.
MollyTav15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I got 9A*s and 2As in my GCSEs but one of the A’s was in Biology. However, I’m on a gap year and have already sat my A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and have achieved grades of A*A*A respectively. Does this mean I will get 26/27 for GCSEs and then a further 8 points for achieved grades meaning a total of 34??
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MollyTav15)
I got 9A*s and 2As in my GCSEs but one of the A’s was in Biology. However, I’m on a gap year and have already sat my A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and have achieved grades of A*A*A respectively. Does this mean I will get 26/27 for GCSEs and then a further 8 points for achieved grades meaning a total of 34??
they cap it at 27/27 X
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by medic.1621)
Yes, except an A* in geography, photography, food technology, music, textiles, atronomy, etc may be considered to be less likely to be relevant to studying to be a Dr than English, maths and the sciences. Med schools frequently give compulsory subjects as they are more relevant to the subject being studied.
An applicant could have 9A*s but 4/5/6s in core subjects meaning a med school may feel they are less prepared/suited for a medical degree (I am not saying I agree with this, but med schools that use GCSEs to select want good GCSEs, Newcastle and Cambridge have literally zero GCSE requirements and Imperial just a 6 in Eng Lang)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.53%
No (241)
33.47%

Watched Threads