ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago

Welcome to the Cardiff University A101 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...te-entry-mbbch

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 6 months ago
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks ecolier for setting up the thread!

Welcome to the new thread for prospective Cardiff medical school A101 (Graduate entry medicine) applicants for 2020 entry. This thread is designed to give prospective applicants a chance to discuss the application process, the course and the university, as well as get to known eachother.

There are current Cardiff medical students around to answer your questions:
- Mutmit287 - Current Cardiff final year

A101 accepts students who have graduated from recognised feeder stream courses onto the second year of the A100 medicine degree.
This degree route is only open to those who have graduated with a 2:1/1st class degree in one of the following feeder stream courses (and have completed the recommended modules to follow this route):
- BSc Medical Pharmacology (Cardiff university - B210)
- BSc Biomedical sciences (Cardiff university - BC97)
- BMedSci degree (Bangor University - B100)
- BSc medical sciences (University of South Wales (B901)
All applicants will also need to sit the GAMSAT admissions text prior to applying.

Here are some useful links and contact details:
Overview and entry requirements
2020 entry undergraduate degree programme
Key contacts

FAQ Section:

Spoiler:
Show
How competitive is it to gain a place on the medicine course at Cardiff?
Cardiff medical school typically admits up to 10 graduates from each of the feeder stream courses (totalling 40).

Do i need to sit an entrance exam?
All graduates must sit the GAMSAT rather than the UCAT. There is no minimum threshold/cutoff score used for either of these exams.

What is the interview process like at Cardiff?
Cardiff uses the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format. If invited to interview you will spend half a day on campus. During this time you will complete a 9 station, 8 minute per station MMI interview. These interviews take place over 3 weeks in December/January.

What style is Cardiff's medicine course?
Cardiff's medical degree is built around case based learning (CBL). This is a structured and supportive learning style designed to facilitate peer assisted learning and independent thinking skills. You will be presented with clinical cases which will form the basis of your teaching for a 2 week block. All lectures, small group tutorials, labs, anatomy classes and placements will be based around this case. You will consolidate these structured timetabled learning sessions during your regular case group meetings, alongside a small number of colleagues and a facilitator (an academic). Cardiff Spiral curriculum also means that each year you will revisit the common clinical problems and build on what you have already learnt.
Graduates entering with the GEM route will undertake a 2-3 week introduction to medicine course prior to joining the second year of the course. This typically takes place in late august/early September.

Does Cardiff medical school have early patient contact?
Placements begin in year 1, with students visiting general practice settings weekly alongside their case based learning. This continues into year 2 and is backed up throughout by clinical skills and communication skills teaching.
Years 3, 4 and 5 consist of longer structured blocks of clinical placements, where students are attached to specialities within the hospitals throughout Wales. Students move hospitals for each placement allowing them to experience different medical settings.

If you have any other questions please ask away!
SandiyG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Mutmit287 so for GEM all that is required is you being on one of the feeder stream courses and the GAMSAT ? Are a levels or GCSEs looked at for a potential interview ?
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SandiyG)
Mutmit287 so for GEM all that is required is you being on one of the feeder stream courses and the GAMSAT ? Are a levels or GCSEs looked at for a potential interview ?
they require a minimum alevel standard of BBB/ABC
SandiyG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Mutmit287)
they require a minimum alevel standard of BBB/ABC
Awh that’s a shame. I did the Irish Leaving Certificate and unfortunately when compared to a levels it’s lowered.
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SandiyG)
Awh that’s a shame. I did the Irish Leaving Certificate and unfortunately when compared to a levels it’s lowered.
might be worth contacting Cardiff medical school. they will likely have separate requirements for other equivalent qualifications like the Irish certificate.
Becky324
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I was just wandering, when applying to medicine at Cardiff would deferring the application for a year on the ucas form make it harder to get a place in the med school? Are you treated equally or are there a set number of spaces for deferred entry?
IHaveNoLifue
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello, I am having trouble choosing which medical unis to apply to. Do you think Cardiff is a good choice? Also, are there any other suggestions? My grades are:

GCSE: 3 9's, 1 8, 3 7's, 4 6's
AS: AAA
UCAT: 642.5, Band 3

Any help would be greatly appreciated =^.^=
thatcooldude2.0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Is there any way you can apply to Cardiff for graduate entry without doing a Biomedicine degree there or any feeder degrees?
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
Is there any way you can apply to Cardiff for graduate entry without doing a Biomedicine degree there or any feeder degrees?
no unfortunately not, they only accept onto graduate entry from their feeder stream courses. this is because students on those feeder degrees will have completed the relevant Cardiff approved modules to enter straight into medicine year 2.

the only exceptions are dentists who are training to be maxillofacial surgeons.
ENR123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Everyone, just want to introduce myself I am a 2nd year medical student at Cardiff University and I will be following on from Mutmit287 with answering questions on behalf of the medical school! I made myself a new account - wanted to forget the days of unofficial markschemes popping up lol! I will try my best to answer questions as quickly as I can - ask away!
mass63
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi
do you know when invitations for interview will be send to medical applicants.
ENR123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mass63)
hi
do you know when invitations for interview will be send to medical applicants.
Hi they will be send out mid November! 😊
mass63
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thank you.
NatsP29
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is anyone on this sub-forum from one of the feeder streams?? Do you know of any successes?
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NatsP29)
Is anyone on this sub-forum from one of the feeder streams?? Do you know of any successes?
when I entered second year 30 students joined my year from the feeder stream degrees. having spoken to them, they said it was a competitive process.
providing you take the required modules as part of the feeder stream degrees you will get an interview, you will need a 2:1 or above in the degree to get a place.

I know more successful than unsuccessful people coming via this route, but there are still many who each year do not get a place from the feeder stream route.

hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (24)
23.53%
My career doesn't need one (18)
17.65%
I'm sick of studying (17)
16.67%
I can't find a course I want to do (3)
2.94%
I don't know enough about them (10)
9.8%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (30)
29.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise