The Student Room Group

Cardiff A101 2020 Entry

Welcome to the Cardiff University A101 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2020/medicine-graduate-entry-mbbch

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for setting up the thread!

Welcome to the new thread for prospective Cardiff medical school A101 (Graduate entry medicine) applicants for 2020 entry. This thread is designed to give prospective applicants a chance to discuss the application process, the course and the university, as well as get to known eachother.

There are current Cardiff medical students around to answer your questions:
- @Mutmit287 - Current Cardiff final year

A101 accepts students who have graduated from recognised feeder stream courses onto the second year of the A100 medicine degree.
This degree route is only open to those who have graduated with a 2:1/1st class degree in one of the following feeder stream courses (and have completed the recommended modules to follow this route):
- BSc Medical Pharmacology (Cardiff university - B210)
- BSc Biomedical sciences (Cardiff university - BC97)
- BMedSci degree (Bangor University - B100)
- BSc medical sciences (University of South Wales (B901)
All applicants will also need to sit the GAMSAT admissions text prior to applying.

Here are some useful links and contact details:
Overview and entry requirements
2020 entry undergraduate degree programme
Key contacts

FAQ Section:

Spoiler

Reply 2
@Mutmit287 so for GEM all that is required is you being on one of the feeder stream courses and the GAMSAT ? Are a levels or GCSEs looked at for a potential interview ?
Original post by SandiyG
@Mutmit287 so for GEM all that is required is you being on one of the feeder stream courses and the GAMSAT ? Are a levels or GCSEs looked at for a potential interview ?

they require a minimum alevel standard of BBB/ABC
Reply 4
Original post by Mutmit287
they require a minimum alevel standard of BBB/ABC

Awh that’s a shame. I did the Irish Leaving Certificate and unfortunately when compared to a levels it’s lowered.
Original post by SandiyG
Awh that’s a shame. I did the Irish Leaving Certificate and unfortunately when compared to a levels it’s lowered.

might be worth contacting Cardiff medical school. they will likely have separate requirements for other equivalent qualifications like the Irish certificate.
Hi I was just wandering, when applying to medicine at Cardiff would deferring the application for a year on the ucas form make it harder to get a place in the med school? Are you treated equally or are there a set number of spaces for deferred entry?
Hello, I am having trouble choosing which medical unis to apply to. Do you think Cardiff is a good choice? Also, are there any other suggestions? My grades are:

GCSE: 3 9's, 1 8, 3 7's, 4 6's
AS: AAA
UCAT: 642.5, Band 3

Any help would be greatly appreciated =^.^=
Is there any way you can apply to Cardiff for graduate entry without doing a Biomedicine degree there or any feeder degrees?
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Is there any way you can apply to Cardiff for graduate entry without doing a Biomedicine degree there or any feeder degrees?

no unfortunately not, they only accept onto graduate entry from their feeder stream courses. this is because students on those feeder degrees will have completed the relevant Cardiff approved modules to enter straight into medicine year 2.

the only exceptions are dentists who are training to be maxillofacial surgeons.
Reply 10
Hi Everyone, just want to introduce myself I am a 2nd year medical student at Cardiff University and I will be following on from Mutmit287 with answering questions on behalf of the medical school! I made myself a new account - wanted to forget the days of unofficial markschemes popping up lol! I will try my best to answer questions as quickly as I can - ask away!
Reply 11
hi
do you know when invitations for interview will be send to medical applicants.
Reply 12
Original post by mass63
hi
do you know when invitations for interview will be send to medical applicants.

Hi they will be send out mid November! 😊
Reply 13
thank you.
Is anyone on this sub-forum from one of the feeder streams?? Do you know of any successes?
Original post by NatsP29
Is anyone on this sub-forum from one of the feeder streams?? Do you know of any successes?

when I entered second year 30 students joined my year from the feeder stream degrees. having spoken to them, they said it was a competitive process.
providing you take the required modules as part of the feeder stream degrees you will get an interview, you will need a 2:1 or above in the degree to get a place.

I know more successful than unsuccessful people coming via this route, but there are still many who each year do not get a place from the feeder stream route.

hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending