The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anybody know how the points allocation works for the admissions assessment this year for RUK?

Previously it was out of 40 and the points were 10 for GCSEs (8 A* needed for full marks), 10 for A levels (A*A*A for full marks), 8 for UCAT (full marks for top decile), 6 for SJT (6 points for band 1). 36 points or more were generally needed for an offer.

The new prospectus says assessment will be 25% academic, 17.5% UCAT, 7.5% SJT, 50% assessment day, 650 people being interviewed. Presumably points for UCT/SJT will be similar to before, but does anybody know how the academic score will be calculated?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TCL
Does anybody know how the points allocation works for the admissions assessment this year for RUK?

Previously it was out of 40 and the points were 10 for GCSEs (8 A* needed for full marks), 10 for A levels (A*A*A for full marks), 8 for UCAT (full marks for top decile), 6 for SJT (6 points for band 1). 36 points or more were generally needed for an offer.

The new prospectus says assessment will be 25% academic, 17.5% UCAT, 7.5% SJT, 50% assessment day, 650 people being interviewed. Presumably points for UCT/SJT will be similar to before, but does anybody know how the academic score will be calculated?

I’d give them a call - called them myself last week as I’m a graduate who previously couldn’t apply but can after they’ve changed the requirements this year - spoken to a lovely lady :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lastlullabyy
I’d give them a call - called them myself last week as I’m a graduate who previously couldn’t apply but can after they’ve changed the requirements this year - spoken to a lovely lady :smile:

Thanks. What has changed for grads?
Original post by TCL
Thanks. What has changed for grads?

Previously they looked at grads’ grades from school - in my case IB. Now for science grads school qualifications are irrelevant - as long as you got 2.1 or 1st within 3 years. I’ve finished my BSc in 2016, but did Masters in 2017 so can apply for 2020 :smile:
Do any previous applicants have any advice to give or a general overlook on what the interview process was like (for any medical school)?I get so nervous for interviews so I just want to mentally prepare and know what it would be like (if I were to get an interview)
Edinburgh is only just starting to interview, so no one here will have experience of it (2020 entry will be the first cohort to be interviewed)

The interview process will depend on the type of interview, it could be more traditional or MMI style. They tend to all ask relatively similar questions (like why medicine, why this med school, what have you done to show you are suited etc.)
Reply 7
Im an international (Canadian) student planning to apply for Edinburgh medicine and I'm sitting my UCAT in a week.
Has anyone already sat it and hoping to apply to Edinburgh as well?
Reply 8
Original post by qbin
Im an international (Canadian) student planning to apply for Edinburgh medicine and I'm sitting my UCAT in a week.
Has anyone already sat it and hoping to apply to Edinburgh as well?

Hey, I’m sitting my UCAT in a couple weeks and I’m hoping to get into Edinburgh. Can I ask how much studying you’ve done for the UCAT, I really don’t know where to start :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Leyna15
Hey, I’m sitting my UCAT in a couple weeks and I’m hoping to get into Edinburgh. Can I ask how much studying you’ve done for the UCAT, I really don’t know where to start :frown:

hey,
I've been studying for quite some time now (around 2 months) but I haven't been really focused on it until last week. I recommend starting by getting medify (if you can afford it) and work on a diagnostic mock! -- it's definitely worth it. then practice for a bit before you tackle the timed practice. you want to get comfortable with the question types before performing in a timed setting. timing is what gets almost everyone, especially for vr. practice makes perfect though so try to get as many q's in a day

also make sure you plan out when you are going to use the full mocks as you have 8 available on medify + 3 from the official ucat website

try using the mini mocks after your first few full mocks, that way you really know what sections to focus on.

hope that helped :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by qbin
hey,
I've been studying for quite some time now (around 2 months) but I haven't been really focused on it until last week. I recommend starting by getting medify (if you can afford it) and work on a diagnostic mock! -- it's definitely worth it. then practice for a bit before you tackle the timed practice. you want to get comfortable with the question types before performing in a timed setting. timing is what gets almost everyone, especially for vr. practice makes perfect though so try to get as many q's in a day

also make sure you plan out when you are going to use the full mocks as you have 8 available on medify + 3 from the official ucat website

try using the mini mocks after your first few full mocks, that way you really know what sections to focus on.

hope that helped :smile:

thank you so much that’s really helpful!!
Can I just ask out of curiosity are you undergraduate? And are you applying to any other Scottish unis or just Edinburgh?
Reply 11
Original post by Leyna15
thank you so much that’s really helpful!!
Can I just ask out of curiosity are you undergraduate? And are you applying to any other Scottish unis or just Edinburgh?

yea I'm looking at undergrad entry for a100 -- I'm looking at Edinburgh and st Andrew's in Scotland and then Manchester and Newcastle.
Reply 12
My son is starting his second year at Newcastle A100, as an international (Canadian) student. If you need some advice from a fellow Canadian, DM me.
Is Edinburgh definitely interviewing for 2019/2020 cycle ?
Does Edinburgh still only interview grad students or do they interview school leavers too?
Reply 15
Original post by NamjoonMedic
Does Edinburgh still only interview grad students or do they interview school leavers too?

Interviewing school leavers for the first time this year
Hi was wandering if anyone knows what the placements are like in the clinical years at Edinburgh med school?
Do they send you far away?
Is there free accommodation?
Do people usually come back at weekends?
Reply 17
Hello I am a BOTC student planning to apply at univeristy of Edinburgh. I have achieved 9A*s and 1 A in my GCSEs. My AS results were aaab however I am predicted for A*A*AAa as I finished my math a level with an A 1 year early and I will be doing AS further math this year. I believe my personal statement I good with having won an international award (a team award), 1 week of experience in neuro surgery and 1 in a surgery ward with nurse and a further 4 weeks at a pediatric clinic. I have other small volunteering events I attend. Do I have a realistic chance of being accepted? I have not taken my UCAT yet.
Reply 18
Original post by SxTagal
Hello I am a BOTC student planning to apply at univeristy of Edinburgh. I have achieved 9A*s and 1 A in my GCSEs. My AS results were aaab however I am predicted for A*A*AAa as I finished my math a level with an A 1 year early and I will be doing AS further math this year. I believe my personal statement I good with having won an international award (a team award), 1 week of experience in neuro surgery and 1 in a surgery ward with nurse and a further 4 weeks at a pediatric clinic. I have other small volunteering events I attend. Do I have a realistic chance of being accepted? I have not taken my UCAT yet.

Your academics are great but Edinburgh are using UCAT/SJT for 50% of the scoring for selection for interview this year, so nobody can say what your chances of an interview are without that.
They are not assessing PS this year
Reply 19
What would you say is a good UCAT score range to aim for to ensure I get a placement? Also the b I got at AS was in chemistry... will this affect my application too much? it was a very high B and I am sure I will get an A next year.

Latest