GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SxTagal)
What would you say is a good UCAT score range to aim for to ensure I get a placement? Also the b I got at AS was in chemistry... will this affect my application too much? it was a very high B and I am sure I will get an A next year.
Edinburgh do not score AS levels.
They have used octiles based on their own applicants up to now and are apparently using deciles from this year. Nobody knows what sort of score is going to be needed for interview, but in recent years, you have only been able to drop a point or two in 1 or 2 sections and still achieve a place.
They give details of octile boundaries on their website
https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...tistics_ii.pdf
However, as stated, the scores will now be split into 10, presumably to give them a better means of differentiating between applicants
SxTagal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I am planning on putting Edinburgh as my top choice however one thing I noticed was that the student satisfaction scores are pretty low for all categories (compared to other universities I'm considering). Anyone know why that is so? Because I've seen many positive reviews for Edinburgh and I have yet to find any negative one.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I am planning on putting Edinburgh as my top choice however one thing I noticed was that the student satisfaction scores are pretty low for all categories (compared to other universities I'm considering). Anyone know why that is so? Because I've seen many positive reviews for Edinburgh and I have yet to find any negative one.
Because the students they asked for the survey were not satisfied with the uni and the teaching? The unistats etc info is pretty independent adn probably more reliable than randome reviews where you have no idea of their validity
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm a recent graduate - there have been issues recently that people don't like e.g. lack of feedback on exams, but the uni is responding to this and now we get personalised performance reports amongst various other improvements.

I would definitely recommend Edinburgh as a place to study medicine - you won't regret it!
TCL
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Asklepios)
I'm a recent graduate - there have been issues recently that people don't like e.g. lack of feedback on exams, but the uni is responding to this and now we get personalised performance reports amongst various other improvements.

I would definitely recommend Edinburgh as a place to study medicine - you won't regret it!
Thanks for joining this thread. How heavily PBL is it?
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
Thanks for joining this thread. How heavily PBL is it?
In first and second year, you have 2x PBL sessions per week (1.5 hours each). These supplement topics covered by lectures and unlike other medical schools that have PBL, there is no examinable content that is solely covered by PBL (it's all in lectures).

In years 3-6, there is no PBL as such. A lot of the tutorials in clinical years revolve around clinical cases though.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Asklepios can you help here, please?
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Daniellafreedman)
Hi was wandering if anyone knows what the placements are like in the clinical years at Edinburgh med school?
Do they send you far away?
Is there free accommodation?
Do people usually come back at weekends?
The clinical years in Edinburgh are 4-6. Year 4 covers placements in the main organ systems e.g. cardio, resp, GI, loco, neuro...). During each of these you will get clinical teaching and be based in the department of the relevant specialties. E.g. for cardio, you'll primarily be based in cardiology (ward, ccu, cathlab, clinics) but have time in cardiac surgery as well (ward, clinic, theatre). Year 5 covers placements in a lot of the other smaller specialties (haem, onc, derm, ENT, psych, obs and gynae etc). In years 6, you do more generalist placements to put everything together - in general medicine, surgery, GP, A&E). You'll have time doing FY type jobs on the wards and clerking in patients on the acute unselected take.

The main teaching hospitals in Edinburgh are the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Western General Hospital. Most placements (especially the specialties) will be based here. There are also a number of DGHs in SE Scotland where you can be sent (moreso in latter years for more general placements). The main ones are St John's Livingston, Borders general, victorial hospital kirkcaldy, forth Valley royal. Occasionally there are placement at Dumfries and Galloway and Fort William. For GP, you are based at a practice somewhere in Lothian (but sometimes in the Borders).

All the distant sites will have accommodation. If it's more than 17 miles from Edinburgh and no accommodation is offered, then you can get reimbursed commuting costs. If you have a car, most places are commutable tbf.

Yes, most people will be back at weekends.
hopefulA100
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi - I am international student with predicted of all A’s ( no A* in our A levels) , ucat is 3020 with 755 average and sjt b2. Edinburgh is my dream
School - do I stand a chance to get shortlisted for assessment day since we have no A* in our A levels equivalent ? I checked e Uni website and it just stated AAA for
My country ... wondering if that will
Bring down my
Overall score ..., I looked at e admin stats , what is UCAS cycle 16/17/18 ? Cos there are corresponding admin data for
Each . Thanks !!!
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hopefulA100)
Hi - I am international student with predicted of all A’s ( no A* in our A levels) , ucat is 3020 with 755 average and sjt b2. Edinburgh is my dream
School - do I stand a chance to get shortlisted for assessment day since we have no A* in our A levels equivalent ? I checked e Uni website and it just stated AAA for
My country ... wondering if that will
Bring down my
Overall score ..., I looked at e admin stats , what is UCAS cycle 16/17/18 ? Cos there are corresponding admin data for
Each . Thanks !!!
They know that many internationals don't have A*s, so it should be fine. You can e-mail Admissions at Edinburgh and ask whether your stats would have got an offer last year. If not, whether you were close enough to expect an interview this year. They will not commit themselves re cut-offs, but will tell you historical data.
hopefulA100
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
They know that many internationals don't have A*s, so it should be fine. You can e-mail Admissions at Edinburgh and ask whether your stats would have got an offer last year. If not, whether you were close enough to expect an interview this year. They will not commit themselves re cut-offs, but will tell you historical data.
Thanks ! Any idea what what is e UCAS cycle
Means ? I was looking at some FOI DATA & there were data against each cycle
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks ! Any idea what what is e UCAS cycle
Means ? I was looking at some FOI DATA & there were data against each cycle
It is an application year through UCAS. I think we are now in the 2019/20 UCAS cycle.
nnnnnnnnnn1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi there , RUK student here ,struggling to find many details on there website , Achieved 6A stars , 3 A s and a B in English language at gcse , predicted 2 A stars and an A, and have a 2960 Band 2 UCAT.Reckon that's good enough for an interview?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by nnnnnnnnnn1)
Hi there , RUK student here ,struggling to find many details on there website , Achieved 6A stars , 3 A s and a B in English language at gcse , predicted 2 A stars and an A, and have a 2960 Band 2 UCAT.Reckon that's good enough for an interview?
Nobody knows yet. In previous years, your B in Eng Lang alone would have made you non-competitive and this year your B2 will drop 5% (is 50% academics, 35% UCAT and 15% SJT to select for interview) but Edinburgh have hinted at a different academic assessment process, though they have not said what it is going to be yet.......
Anna191817
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m so disappointed with my ucat because I’m desperate to study medicine at Edinburgh. I got 633 band 1. I also got 12A*, 4 A’s (99% ums avg) and I’m predicted 4 A*. Could I get an interview on the basis of this? I’m assuming most applicants have similar grades 🙁
hopefulA100
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anna191817)
I’m so disappointed with my ucat because I’m desperate to study medicine at Edinburgh. I got 633 band 1. I also got 12A*, 4 A’s (99% ums avg) and I’m predicted 4 A*. Could I get an interview on the basis of this? I’m assuming most applicants have similar grades 🙁
Are u a home applicant ? Your grades are fantastic! I am just as clueless on probabilities for interview as I am international ! But I would think your stellar grades will prob count a lot ! I am crossing fingers too . All e best. !
Anna191817
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Are u a home applicant ? Your grades are fantastic! I am just as clueless on probabilities for interview as I am international ! But I would think your stellar grades will prob count a lot ! I am crossing fingers too . All e best. !
Yes I am a home applicant. Thanks for the reply and good luck 😊!!
lois_____
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
That will be fine for an interview, it’s above average and your academics are great
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lois_____)
That will be fine for an interview, it’s above average and your academics are great
Average ukcat scores needed for Edinburgh have been approaching 700 in recent years
Anna191817
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Average ukcat scores needed for Edinburgh have been approaching 700 in recent years
So does that mean it’s a no go? I’m so sad. I can’t apply anywhere I want
Last edited by Anna191817; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (478)
66.48%
No (241)
33.52%

Watched Threads