GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anna191817)
So does that mean it’s a no go?
They are apparently changing their selection process now they are interviewing, so nobody knows. Checked and average was 2970 for 2018, 2780 for 2017 and 2850 for 2016. This was for an offer and your academics are excellent so you would probably have got away with less than this. If they lower the criteria needed for full marks at academics (previously was 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and A*A*A at A level) then your UCAT is unlikely to be enough as more people will get full marks here. There is no historic numbers to judge, so it is hard to know. I would wait and see if they release more details about how they are scoring people, but it depends how much you like Edinburgh and how safe your other choices are
rjh02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
So does that mean it’s a no go? I’m so sad. I can’t apply anywhere I want
Because they are doing interviews this year (I think 650 people), then your UCAT score could be enough as the 'successful' score will be much lower compared to previous years (680+ before). When I went to the open day, 50% of selection is now based on interview, 25% on academics, 12.5% on UCAT and 7.5% on SJ. I think personal statement is scored as well, but I can't really remember.

Your academics are amazing so I'd say go for it anyway!! It's always worth a shot!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rjh02)
Because they are doing interviews this year (I think 650 people), then your UCAT score could be enough as the 'successful' score will be much lower compared to previous years (680+ before). When I went to the open day, 50% of selection is now based on interview, 25% on academics, 12.5% on UCAT and 7.5% on SJ. I think personal statement is scored as well, but I can't really remember.

Your academics are amazing so I'd say go for it anyway!! It's always worth a shot!
They are not scoring PS, they are interviewing to assess these qualities.
It is true that UCAT score is 17.5% of total score (not 12.5%) but it is 35% of pre-interview score and you have to get to interview to stand any chance of an offer.
It remains to be seen whether Edinburgh attracts a different type of cohort now they are interviewing, but they have always been a popular med school, so not sure why those with excellent scores should not still apply to them this year. They are also using UCAT deciles rather than the octiles they have used in previous years, presumably because this allows them to better distinguish between applicants
Last edited by GANFYD; 5 months ago
rjh02
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
They are not scoring PS, they are interviewing to assess these qualities.
It is true that UCAT score is 17.5% of total score (not 12.5%) but it is 35% of pre-interview score and you have to get to interview to stand any chance of an offer.
It remains to be seen whether Edinburgh attracts a different type of cohort now they are interviewing, but they have always been a popular med school, so not sure why those with excellent scores should not still apply to them this year. They are also using UCAT deciles rather than the octiles they have used in previous years, presumably because this allows them to better distinguish between applicants
Ah thank you, I hope to apply here as well so that's useful. My UCAT score is 690 and my academics are strong so hopefully that will be enough to get an interview
Anna191817
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rjh02)
Ah thank you, I hope to apply here as well so that's useful. My UCAT score is 690 and my academics are strong so hopefully that will be enough to get an interview
What are your academics, if you don’t mind me asking? 😊
rjh02
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What are your academics, if you don’t mind me asking? 😊
All 8s and 9s at GCSE, and I'm predicted 3 A*s.
Last edited by rjh02; 5 months ago
SxTagal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey everyone

Just did my UCAT and these are my scores
UCAT: 2800 Band 1 (700 average)
Predicted Alevel grades: A*A*AA
GCSEs: 9 A*s and 1 A
Work experience: 1 week in surgery ward, 1 week in neuro medicine/surgery and 4 weeks at pediatric clinic

Other things in my PS: winning science fair twice, international junior achievement award, duke of Edinburgh silver award, etc

Do you think I'm competitive enough?

Thanks!
Last edited by SxTagal; 5 months ago
2500_2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SxTagal)
Hey everyone

Just did my UCAT and these are my scores
UCAT: 2800 (700 average)
Predicted Alevel grades: A*A*AA
GCSEs: 9 A*s and 1 A
Work experience: 1 week in surgery ward, 1 week in neuro medicine/surgery and 4 weeks at pediatric clinic

Other things in my PS: winning science fair twice, international junior achievement award, duke of Edinburgh silver award, etc

Do you think I'm competitive enough?

Thanks!
you'll get max points on your academics,
they aren't scoring PSs now, so that's all irrelevant until interview
average UCAT last year was 2970 and lowest was 2480 (bear in mind that's all applicants with international most competitive, home/eu just next and then RUK)
so basically all hangs on your SJT which you haven't shared with us
SxTagal
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 2500_2)
you'll get max points on your academics,
they aren't scoring PSs now, so that's all irrelevant until interview
average UCAT last year was 2970 and lowest was 2480 (bear in mind that's all applicants with international most competitive, home/eu just next and then RUK)
so basically all hangs on your SJT which you haven't shared with us
I got band 1. So does that mean I should apply?
Happy mum
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I've just been reading through all your comments regarding applying to Edinburgh l. We went through this with my daughter last year . She is now a student at Edinburgh studying Medicine.

She had incredible gcse results all A* was predicted 3 A* a level and achieved this Set band 1 and just missed band 1 for ukcat.

We went to open day and spoke to admissions who thought she should apply and would have a very high chance and any other year would of been guaranteed an offer .

Unfortunately she originally received a no with a weight list offer . Fortunately on the first day waitlist offers came out she received one .

The reason for sharing this is to show you can't second guess these things.

If you like the look of Edinburgh apply and see what happens .

Good luck everyone
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Happy mum)
I've just been reading through all your comments regarding applying to Edinburgh l. We went through this with my daughter last year . She is now a student at Edinburgh studying Medicine.

She had incredible gcse results all A* was predicted 3 A* a level and achieved this Set band 1 and just missed band 1 for ukcat.

We went to open day and spoke to admissions who thought she should apply and would have a very high chance and any other year would of been guaranteed an offer .

Unfortunately she originally received a no with a weight list offer . Fortunately on the first day waitlist offers came out she received one .

The reason for sharing this is to show you can't second guess these things.

If you like the look of Edinburgh apply and see what happens .

Good luck everyone
Sorry, but that is not good advice! Your daughter was a very strong applicant and was told she had a very good chance. Somebody with all 6/7 scores at GCSE, AAA predictions and 2700 UCAT would be wasting a choice if they applied to Edinburgh, but would have a good chance of an interview elsewhere.

It is important to find out as much as you can about shortlisting for interview so that you apply to medical schools at which you are likely to get an interview.
Happy mum
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
Sorry, but that is not good advice! Your daughter was a very strong applicant and was told she had a very good chance. Somebody with all 6/7 scores at GCSE, AAA predictions and 2700 UCAT would be wasting a choice if they applied to Edinburgh, but would have a good chance of an interview elsewhere.

It is important to find out as much as you can about shortlisting for interview so that you apply to medical schools at which you are likely to get an interview.
I wasn't trying to say she had a good chance I wasn't trying to make the point that what is a certainty one year might not be the next , you certainly should reasearch each university I never said you shouldn't
r_enkaiiii
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hi everyone! i’m interested in applying to edinburgh and i’m an international student who has taken singapore gce o levels(with biology) with all As and am taking Singapore A levels this year, however i take physics, chemistry, math and economics. my ukcat is 2820 and sjt band 3, do you guys think i stand a good chance in getting a place for interview or i shouldn’t waste my slot. also can any international student perhaps share with me your experiences in edinburgh? thank you :-)
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Did anybody go to the Open Day and find out how the academic score will be calculated?
TashHounslow
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi guys, could someone tell me if I have a good chance of getting in this year?
At gcse I got 2 9s, 6 8s and 3 7s. Predicteds A*A*A*. Ucat, 3130, Band one.
I'm worried my gcse's could bring my chances down
2500_2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TashHounslow)
no one knows for sure, but if they are assessing GCSEs the way they did before, then it was 8A*s, which you have.
I'd suggest it depends how much you like Edinburgh, given you have stats which will definitely get you interviews elsewhere
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TashHounslow)
You are fine. They have not told us how they do the academic bit, but you have perfect scores for 75% of the assessment and they assess your best 8 GCSEs, so that is probably perfect too.
saf1554
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Can anyone help me out? Whenever I ask teachers about Edinburgh they say to be careful because my chances will be reduced because I'm english, but I don't get why that is. I thought they only have a cap on scottish students and the rest are from the rest of the UK, so how does that mean you have a lower chance of getting in?
Happy mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They take on average 80 ish rest of UK students . It’s a lot higher number of Scottish . You still have a chance . What are you academics like
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by saf1554)
Can anyone help me out? Whenever I ask teachers about Edinburgh they say to be careful because my chances will be reduced because I'm english, but I don't get why that is. I thought they only have a cap on scottish students and the rest are from the rest of the UK, so how does that mean you have a lower chance of getting in?
All med schools have a cap on the number of students they can take on, it is just in Scotland, they break it down into fee status, so how many Home/EU, RUK and Internationals they can take. They have fewer places for RUK, but usually fewer applicants, too, so often the odds of an interview are actually better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.53%
No (241)
33.47%

Watched Threads