David Chan88
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by S_x_x)
Glasgow Medical student here,
We have 2 sessions of PBL a week, a brainstorming session at the start of the week and a feedback session at the end. To supplement this, there are various lectures that now support the topic area covered in PBL. So, Glasgow has shifted from heavy PBL to more of an integrated type, where PBL is important but is now supplemented by lectures and labs!
That's sound really good move - at least suit me better :-). How about patient exposure so far ?
S_x_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by David Chan88)
That's sound really good move - at least suit me better :-). How about patient exposure so far ?
There hasn’t been any so far, but in November right through to May, there are various visits to GP practices, where you meet patients and interview them, you visit an A&E department to learn more about A&E, the role of triage nurse and how it works, and you visit a hospice too, so patient contact is relatively early, with it being in first year
lois_____
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by S_x_x)
Glasgow Medical student here,
We have 2 sessions of PBL a week, a brainstorming session at the start of the week and a feedback session at the end. To supplement this, there are various lectures that now support the topic area covered in PBL. So, Glasgow has shifted from heavy PBL to more of an integrated type, where PBL is important but is now supplemented by lectures and labs!
What was your ucat ?
desperateintl
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
how many international seats are there? i don’t know if i’ve misinterpreted anything but one page says 18 and another says they offered 40 in the previous two years...
desperateintl
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by desperateintl)
how many international seats are there? i don’t know if i’ve misinterpreted anything but one page says 18 and another says they offered 40 in the previous two years...
both are from the university’s website btw
S_x_x
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lois_____)
What was your ucat ?
685 band 3
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
both are from the university’s website btw
Have not looked at the data, but all med schools make more offers than they have places, to allow for those that decline and those who do not make their grades
nnnnnnnnnn1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Anyone else applied but not received a confirmation of application email ?
Been a few weeks since application and not sure if it's gone through?
GuppyPower
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by nnnnnnnnnn1)
Anyone else applied but not received a confirmation of application email ?
I've applied but not received a confirmation yet too. All the other uni I applied had acknowledged my application though.
username4183328
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by nnnnnnnnnn1)Anyone else applied but not received a confirmation of application email ?

Yeah, It's been a month for me and nothing at all.
amazon_prince
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Do you guys think a UCAT in the 78th percentile is competitive enough for Glasgow this year considering their previous stats?
Randomluck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by amazon_prince)
Do you guys think a UCAT in the 78th percentile is competitive enough for Glasgow this year considering their previous stats?
I think if your UCAT score is reasonably above previous year's min score, you should stand a good chance provided your other aspects like gcse, predicted grades and WP are also strong.
amazon_prince
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Randomluck)
I think if your UCAT score is reasonably above previous year's min score, you should stand a good chance provided your other aspects like gcse, predicted grades and WP are also strong.
That's true, yeah I'm unsure since I think I'm on the cusp as I'm above the minimum score they used last year for interview but under the RUK applicant cohort by 10 points . I'm a graduate and I do have the degree which meets their minimum requirements for that. Just really unsure!
Randomluck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by amazon_prince)
That's true, yeah I'm unsure since I think I'm on the cusp as I'm above the minimum score they used last year for interview but under the RUK applicant cohort by 10 points . I'm a graduate and I do have the degree which meets their minimum requirements for that. Just really unsure!
Hmmm... If you think it is risky (and I share your sense of uncertainty), then perhaps you should consider it with your other choices. I think if your other choices are relatively safe, and you really like Glasgow a lot, perhaps it makes sense to take the risk. Otherwise, I think it will be better to apply to a uni that gives you more certainty. In the end, I feel it's more impt to be accepted and have the chance to study the subject. A doctor is a doctor, her mission is to treat patients, which school she graduated from is less impt if you ask me
GuppyPower
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Name:  glasgowa100.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  88.7 KB

Glasgow has just uploaded its new A100 admission data for 2019.
Last edited by GuppyPower; 4 months ago
smscku
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GuppyPower)

Glasgow has just uploaded its new A100 admission date for 2019.
I wonder why 1:2 men to women ratio. Haha
GuppyPower
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by smscku)
I wonder why 1:2 men to women ratio. Haha
It might be that women are just better applicants
FingersXed84
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Just fyi oversea students got in with 2600, Scots/eu with 2650 and ruk with 2680. I got 2610 last year and didn’t get an interview as I’m a Scottish applicant. So it’s depends where you come from as well as how your cohort do.
NanaKuri
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GuppyPower)

Glasgow has just uploaded its new A100 admission data for 2019.
Thank you for the upload. As an international, I'd like to know why is it showing 40 places for 2019 when their website is showing 18 places available only?
S_x_x
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by NanaKuri)
Thank you for the upload. As an international, I'd like to know why is it showing 40 places for 2019 when their website is showing 18 places available only?
They made 88 offers to internationals, based on a rough estimate of 14 meeting their conditions. Each year, things can change, so many more internationals met their offers this year and UCAS agreements state that the university must take you if you fulfil the conditions of an offer. I’m not sure but that’s what I think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads