The Student Room Group

HYMS A100 2020 Entry

Welcome to the HYMS A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/applying-to-study-medicine/entry-requirements

HYMS A100 / A101 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6333344

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am considering applying to HYMS and my stats are:

Predicted Grades: A*A*B (B being negotiated to an A)

UCAT: 635 Band 3

Excellent GCSE equivalent grades

I know the benchmark changes annually, but in previous years would this have been successful to get an interview?
I didn't find in HYMS website how GCSE points are scored out of 30 and how UCAT points are scored out of 40. Any idea?
Reply 3
Original post by The_Great_Mind
I didn't find in HYMS website how GCSE points are scored out of 30 and how UCAT points are scored out of 40. Any idea?

They are reluctant to publish this info which is a shame. In fact they won’t tell you what a band 2 or 3 score post interview either. From last years thread it was suggested 4 points per decile for the UCAT. For GCSE’s it was your top 8 scored with 3.75 points for an 8/9 and 3 points for a 7. Can’t remember for grades lower. This came via email from admissions but it would be nice if someone would try to get confirmation this year.
Reply 4
I'm thinking of applying for 2020 entry for HYMS so do people have any tips for interviews?
Reply 5
Original post by idek423
I'm thinking of applying for 2020 entry for HYMS so do people have any tips for interviews?

Crikey, you've got one already? Well done. As for tips dress smart, be yourself, etc. etc.
Reply 6
Original post by idek423

I had an interview back in January and it was a lot better than I expected. I received an offer in February and now I have an unconditional offer for 2020 entry (I decided to defer after results day). As for tips for interview just try and stay composed and calm. When giving answers take your time to think and don’t be intimidated by interviewers, and remember they want to try and get the best answers out of you. I would also recommend talking to other candidates before the interview and get to know them as they may be studying alongside you for the next 5 years. Good luck with the application process!
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to HYMS, and was wondering if I'll get an interview with:

GCSEs: 998888886
UCAT: 2750
SJT: Band 3

I also qualify for contextual data, so can receive up to 15 additional points.
Hey guys.

How likely am I to get an interview?

UCAT: 2610 Band 2
GCSE: 5A* 2A 1B 1C (apparently 8 is considered an A for HYMS so I have only 5 A*)
A-Level predicted: 3A* (and EPQ but no predicted)
Original post by Muez
Hey guys.

How likely am I to get an interview?

UCAT: 2610 Band 2
GCSE: 5A* 2A 1B 1C (apparently 8 is considered an A for HYMS so I have only 5 A*)
A-Level predicted: 3A* (and EPQ but no predicted)

Hi, I emailed HYMS to ask about whether or not an 8 is an A or A* in their scorings and they told me that it's considered an A*
Original post by katiel2_01
Hi, I emailed HYMS to ask about whether or not an 8 is an A or A* in their scorings and they told me that it's considered an A*

Oh really? I called them and they said the highest number (9) is an A* and 8 is an A. I’ll call them up again and confirm. But thanks
Original post by Muez
Oh really? I called them and they said the highest number (9) is an A* and 8 is an A. I’ll call them up again and confirm. But thanks

Np. Please let me know what they say. I wish it was just put on their website

Yes your correct. I just called them up again and they said “they reviewed their policy” and it’s now considered an A*.
Thanks for this.
Original post by Muez
Yes your correct. I just called them up again and they said “they reviewed their policy” and it’s now considered an A*.
Thanks for this.

Oh, that's great and any time. Does it make a big difference to your stats?
Oh, that's great and any time. Does it make a big difference to your stats?

I mean even if it’s 0.75 points (difference between A* and A as suggested by previous threads) it makes a difference cuz that could be what gets you across the cut off.

What are your stats?
Original post by Muez
I mean even if it’s 0.75 points (difference between A* and A as suggested by previous threads) it makes a difference cuz that could be what gets you across the cut off.

What are your stats?

Yeah true. Which campus do you prefer? Hull or York?

GCSE: A*999998877
A-Level predicted: A*AA (with A or A* in EPQ)
UCAT: 2720 Band 1
Yeah true. Which campus do you prefer? Hull or York?

GCSE: A*999998877
A-Level predicted: A*AA (with A or A* in EPQ)
UCAT: 2720 Band 1

I’m not quite sure tbh.
Your stats are really good you should get an interview with no problem especially since you have band 1.
Original post by Muez
I’m not quite sure tbh.
Your stats are really good you should get an interview with no problem especially since you have band 1.

Thanks, I hope so. I really like the course. Where else are you applying?
Thanks, I hope so. I really like the course. Where else are you applying?

Manchester, St. George’s and Plymouth. Wby?
Original post by Muez
Manchester, St. George’s and Plymouth. Wby?

Manchester, Sheffield and Leicester

Quick Reply

Latest