The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,

I've just finished my 3rd year at KCL for Medicine. feel free to AMA about the course, uni or London!
Reply 2
Hi , I just completed my ucat exam and have a score of 640 Band 2, should I consider applying to kings at allConsidering my score is not considered high? I am applying for sept 2020 entrance. My predicted grades are 3A*
Original post by TPhuac
Hi , I just completed my ucat exam and have a score of 640 Band 2, should I consider applying to kings at allConsidering my score is not considered high? I am applying for sept 2020 entrance. My predicted grades are 3A*

Hi,

I mean that's a great UCAT score and when I went to kings open day they said that a score of 650+ is competitive so it could be fine depending on the cohort that are about to take the exam,

I would just watch out for other people's results and see if they seem comparable, because your predicted academics are so high I would suspect it should be enough

Also how did you find the exam's difficulty and was it harder or easier than revision exams you may have taken (I have mine on the 13th of August)
Reply 4
I was disappointed because my practise scores were much higher . Some sections were more difficult like the VR and others like
QR more manageable than the revision ones
Original post by hillarious_cow
Hi,

I mean that's a great UCAT score and when I went to kings open day they said that a score of 650+ is competitive so it could be fine depending on the cohort that are about to take the exam,

I would just watch out for other people's results and see if they seem comparable, because your predicted academics are so high I would suspect it should be enough

Also how did you find the exam's difficulty and was it harder or easier than revision exams you may have taken (I have mine on the 13th of August)
Reply 5
Sorry I am not sure about this as I have no info regarding it.
Hi,

I am thinking of applying to KCL but that would involve me having to live at home because of the cost and also the fact that my family is in London, I was wondering if you had any friends who also lived from home and if they knew if it was easy or difficult to make friends by staying at home

Thanks in advance
Original post by southlondonmedic
Hey guys,

I've just finished my 3rd year at KCL for Medicine. feel free to AMA about the course, uni or London!

Hi,
I am thinking of applying to KCL but that would involve me having to live at home because of the cost and also the fact that my family is in London, I was wondering if you had any friends who also lived from home and if they knew if it was easy or difficult to make friends by staying at home
Thanks in advance
Loads of people live at home and don't have any trouble making friends etc. The first 2 years are based pretty centrally (London Bridge /Waterloo) so transport isn't a problem, it can get a bit more difficult in later years when we're placed further out in South East London but really depends on how far you're happy to travel and where you live
Hi,
Thanks in advance
Reply 8
Hey guys,

Hello!Do you think that having a gap year increases your chance of getting accepted?Also does King’s pay a lot of attention to UKCAT scores
Entirely depends what you do with the year, what kind of thing were you thinking ? If you spend the year getting experience, working, gaining skills that would make you a better medical student then absolutely.

King's does pay quite a lot of attention to UKCAT in the early stages of selection, but if you've got a strong CV and good grades they're reasonably flexible.
Original post by Tina Haider
Hello!Do you think that having a gap year increases your chance of getting accepted?Also does King’s pay a lot of attention to UKCAT scores
I don't know the exact boundaries King's uses but that seems like a decent enough score, don't be negative about it! If the rest of your application is good I don't see why you wouldn't stand a good chance - just make sure you like the course and university !
Original post by TPhuac
Reply 12
do u need to be 18 to apply for this course
Reply 13
Hey! I just took my UKCAT and got a 2660. I wanted to apply to Kong’s but idk if it’s worth it because of my score. Did you happen to get an interview?
Sat the UCAT and got 705 OVR but SJT band 3. I'm so upset because King's doesn't like anything below band 2 apparently :frown:. I'm also international so my dream of doing medicine at KCL is out of the window. Good luck everyone.
hello,
I'm not too sure about the gap year, it depends what you are going to do during the year.

In terms of kings paying attention to UCAT, they use the score as 50% of the process to get to the interview stage.
Reply 16
Original post by TPhuac

Kings use UCAT and GCSEs 50-50 and 640 would be about the lowest UCAT score that has been successful and would need very high GCSE results to compensate.
Reply 17
Original post by ahr99
Hey! I just took my UKCAT and got a 2660. I wanted to apply to Kong’s but idk if it’s worth it because of my score. Did you happen to get an interview?

As above, Kings uses UCAT and GCSEs 50-50, so it would depend on your GCSE results
Reply 18
Original post by renitha
do u need to be 18 to apply for this course

I believe they accept applications from students who are 17 years old, however all students must be 18 years old at the time of their first clinical placements.
Hey guys,

I wrote my UCAT yesterday and achieved a score of 635 Band 3. Do you think it is worthwhile to still apply to King's or medicine in general? I may also apply to Anglia Ruskin. My GCSE Equivalent grades were excellent.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest