The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of applying for kings GEM this year for Sept 2020 entry. I have not done UCAT exam yet, I am still in the process of preparing. Would like to see if anyone else is applying to Kings GEM.
Original post by SaRa JaN
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of applying for kings GEM this year for Sept 2020 entry. I have not done UCAT exam yet, I am still in the process of preparing. Would like to see if anyone else is applying to Kings GEM.

hi, I am planning on applying to Kings GEM, depends what I get on my UCAT. my test is next week 🙈
Reply 3
Original post by Jassam17
hi, I am planning on applying to Kings GEM, depends what I get on my UCAT. my test is next week 🙈

That is nice! All the best with the test next week. If you have any tips on how to prepare please let me know.
Original post by SaRa JaN
That is nice! All the best with the test next week. If you have any tips on how to prepare please let me know.

Thanks!
I've just been using medify, doing alot of practice questions. Now I'm on to the timed mocks and timed mini mocks. it's really improved most of my sections. however, QR is just not my section 😭
I applied last year for 2019 entry and got accepted. Happy to answer questions and help out.
Original post by ArcherBear
I applied last year for 2019 entry and got accepted. Happy to answer questions and help out.

well done ☺️ if you dont mind me asking what did you score on your UCAT?

did you have much volunteer/work experience?

well done ☺️ if you dont mind me asking what did you score on your UCAT?

did you have much volunteer/work experience?

I got 3100 band 1.

Yeah I had surgical experience and about 6 years volunteering experience at a hospice. Of course that's way more experience than is necessary.

The lowest UCAT score I'm aware of that got an offer last year was 2840.
I got 3100 band 1.

Yeah I had surgical experience and about 6 years volunteering experience at a hospice. Of course that's way more experience than is necessary.

The lowest UCAT score I'm aware of that got an offer last year was 2840.

wow, no wonder you got offered a place 775 average and all that experience.

have you got any tips for the QR section of UCAT? it's the section I'm really struggling with.

I'm doing practice mocks every day now until the exam, I'm hoping that will increase my average. I really want to go to Kings, I just loved the open day. Even if it means I have to do the 5 year course and fund it myself.
wow, no wonder you got offered a place 775 average and all that experience.

have you got any tips for the QR section of UCAT? it's the section I'm really struggling with.

I'm doing practice mocks every day now until the exam, I'm hoping that will increase my average. I really want to go to Kings, I just loved the open day. Even if it means I have to do the 5 year course and fund it myself.

Trust me the UCAT isn't the be all and end all. Sure a high score helps but there's more to consider.

Erm, I think just practice you know.
- Learn the keyboard shortcuts for the calculator.
- Decide when to actually use the calculator. Sometimes it's quicker to just do the maths in your head.
- Figure out calculation shortcuts e.g. If there's a 20% increase in something, rather than a long convoluted method, just multiply the original number by 1.2.
- All questions are worth the same amount of points. If there's a a question that looks like it will absolutely take a long time to calculate, guess, flag and move on. Answer the quicker ones first then if you've got time, come back to the questions requiring multiple long calculations.
- Sometimes, the answer options are different enough that I can calculate an answer in my head using the nearest whole number.
- Make sure you're up to speed on algebra and percentages.
Trust me the UCAT isn't the be all and end all. Sure a high score helps but there's more to consider.

Erm, I think just practice you know.
- Learn the keyboard shortcuts for the calculator.
- Decide when to actually use the calculator. Sometimes it's quicker to just do the maths in your head.
- Figure out calculation shortcuts e.g. If there's a 20% increase in something, rather than a long convoluted method, just multiply the original number by 1.2.
- All questions are worth the same amount of points. If there's a a question that looks like it will absolutely take a long time to calculate, guess, flag and move on. Answer the quicker ones first then if you've got time, come back to the questions requiring multiple long calculations.
- Sometimes, the answer options are different enough that I can calculate an answer in my head using the nearest whole number.
- Make sure you're up to speed on algebra and percentages.

thanks so much for the reply, gonna take your advice on board.

Good luck for starting 1st year ☺️
Thanks!
I've just been using medify, doing alot of practice questions. Now I'm on to the timed mocks and timed mini mocks. it's really improved most of my sections. however, QR is just not my section 😭

Thanks - I am using Medify too but Just started to learn the sections and did some timed practice on AR and SJT but for the rest I still need to practice a lot. I am terrible at QR, DM and VR
Thanks!

medify is easier than the real for VR and AR, make sure you have varied experience using ISC and the official mocks? I didnt do this and ended up scoring shy of 700 avg so KCL is out :frown: good luck to you!
Did they consider you? Currently also applying with a Psychology degree.

What were your stats please and what was interview like?
Original post by aspsurg1
What were your stats please and what was interview like?

MSc Neuroscience
BSc Biomedical Science
UKCAT 775 Band 1
6 years+ volunteering
The interview was a mixed bag. I felt like I absolutely bombed 2 of the stations and didn't do so well in 1 station. But there was 1 station I walked away from feeling confident. I was surprised to receive an offer but grateful at the same time.
Hi @ArcherBear would an average UCAT of 605 be too low for Kings GEM?
Original post by gradmed98
Hi @ArcherBear would an average UCAT of 605 be too low for Kings GEM?

Without sounding like an *******, you're unlikely to receive an offer for Kings GEM with that UCAT score. Of course, I'm not on the admin team so I can't say for sure. You could apply to places that don't focus on UCAT score?
Reply 18
Quick question, does anyone know if Kings interviews those who don't achieve band 1 in SJT?
Original post by missr6
Quick question, does anyone know if Kings interviews those who don't achieve band 1 in SJT?

yeah they do

Latest

Trending

Trending