GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Muez)
Sorry I also have 1A at GCSE I make their 15 point cut off. I’m generally good at interviews so I was just wondering if I perform well at interviews will my GCSE grades bring me down overall (since they said GCSEs are a factor when they’re making an offer)
As far as I am aware they only use interview score to decide regarding offers
MedApplicant02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
As far as I am aware they only use interview score to decide regarding offers
They said on their website that “people with higher GCSEs are more likely to receive an offer” or something like that.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Muez)
They said on their website that “people with higher GCSEs are more likely to receive an offer” or something like that.
They state:
"Applicants offering higher GCSEs scores may be given priority in the offer making process."
I would read that as they use GCSEs in a tiebreak situation, ie lots of people with the same score and they may look at GCSE results. However, contact them and ask

EDIT: Hmm, they have now added a 2020 information sheet that says:
"The selection procedure at Liverpool is a competitive process. The indicative criteria are the minimum required. Invitation

to interview is highly competitive and dependant on minimum academic achievement and UCAT performance. Nonacademic attributes will be assessed at interview and offers made on the basis of both academic achievement and interview performance. No candidate will be made an offer without interview. Applicants offering higher GCSEs scores may be given priority in the offer making process. The threshold for progressing through each stage varies from year to year depending upon the quality and quantity of applications that year."

Which does indeed suggest they are somehow using academics post interview in decision making. I would definitely contact them and ask, especially as they may, at this point, score A*s differently to As and it is important people know.
Last edited by GANFYD; 4 months ago
MedApplicant02
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They state:
"Applicants offering higher GCSEs scores may be given priority in the offer making process."
I would read that as they use GCSEs in a tiebreak situation, ie lots of people with the same score and they may look at GCSE results. However, contact them and ask

"The selection procedure at Liverpool is a competitive process. The indicative criteria are the minimum required. Invitation

to interview is highly competitive and dependant on minimum academic achievement and UCAT performance. Nonacademic attributes will be assessed at interview and offers made on the basis of both academic achievement and interview performance. No candidate will be made an offer without interview. Applicants offering higher GCSEs scores may be given priority in the offer making process. The threshold for progressing through each stage varies from year to year depending upon the quality and quantity of applications that year."

Which does indeed suggest they are somehow using academics post interview in decision making. I would definitely contact them and ask, especially as they may, at this point, score A*s differently to As and it is important people know.
Yup. I’ve never had much luck with emails so I’ll give them a ring tomorrow morning.
Meduser
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They state:

Yeah I emailed them the other day and they said that they use academics and interview score to make an offer and also give priority to those with high academics
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Meduser)
Yeah I emailed them the other day and they said that they use academics and interview score to make an offer and also give priority to those with high academics
But how? GCSEs alone? Is it 50% academics, 50% interview? Or 90-10? Can you get back to them and ask how they are proportioning points for each, please? And report back on the thread? Everyone is relying on you (no pressure) :laugh:
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
But how? GCSEs alone? Is it 50% academics, 50% interview? Or 90-10? Can you get back to them and ask how they are proportioning points for each, please? And report back on the thread? Everyone is relying on you (no pressure) :laugh:
Oh goodness I’ll try my best haha. They just told me what I said and then linked their admissions process document so I’m not sure how much more info they’ll give up
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
2020 Departmental SUpplement now on the website which gives full details and suggests that those with 18 or 19 points for GCSEs or achieved A levels will be chosen for an offer over those with lower results, provided their interview performance is "satisfactory"
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/li...Entry,2020.pdf
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
OK, just got a reply and I asked all the questions you did, and even some of my own. They (very helpfully🙄) said that they were unable to offer any further information other than what is on the departmental supplement.
wxgmak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
How ucat heavy is Liverpool?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by wxgmak)
How ucat heavy is Liverpool?
Have you read the thread and their website?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Meduser)
OK, just got a reply and I asked all the questions you did, and even some of my own. They (very helpfully🙄) said that they were unable to offer any further information other than what is on the departmental supplement.
Aren't Admissions Departments so helpful??!! :dry:
They have now put this year's Departmental Supplement on, though, which details how they are using academics post interview
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Aren't Admissions Departments so helpful??!! :dry:
They have now put this year's Departmental Supplement on, though, which details how they are using academics post interview
Very!

Okay thank you I will check it out
thedecorator33
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I've read some contradicting things. Are they fully PBL?
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by thedecorator33)
I've read some contradicting things. Are they fully PBL?
No - they used to be but got bad reviews so changed to integrated. Have a read if of interest:
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/li...gery,MBChB.pdf
pyracantha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Does anyone know how Liverpool use GCSE's? Do they use post interview too?
Mjsmalley0902
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have lower GCSEs but a high ucat is there any point applying ?? I’ve tried to contact them but had no luck
GCSEs = 988887666B
UCAT = 2780 so 695 average and band 1
Last edited by Mjsmalley0902; 4 months ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pyracantha)
Does anyone know how Liverpool use GCSE's? Do they use post interview too?
Have you read the rest of the thread? And checked the website?
mattyclarke04
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mjsmalley0902)
I have lower GCSEs but a high ucat is there any point applying ?? I’ve tried to contact them but had no luck
GCSEs = 988887666B
UCAT = 2780 so 695 average and band 1
You have 15/18 points for the gcse which is the minimum required. However post-interview, you will be placed into tier 2 based on your gcses, meaning there will be a lower chance of you gaining a place over someone in tier 1 who scored the same in the interview. I don't think Liverpool rely too much on the ucat, so Liverpool may be one to avoid.
pseudo123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mattyclarke04)
You have 15/18 points for the gcse which is the minimum required. However post-interview, you will be placed into tier 2 based on your gcses, meaning there will be a lower chance of you gaining a place over someone in tier 1 who scored the same in the interview. I don't think Liverpool rely too much on the ucat, so Liverpool may be one to avoid.
hey where can i find more info on the tier system thing after interview? I didn't see any info on this on liverpool's website? could you maybe link me if possible?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (425)
67.57%
No (204)
32.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed