ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago

Welcome to the University of Liverpool 789S (Foundation to Heath and Veterinary Studies (Medicine) Year 0) 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...ar-0/overview/

For entry requirements click: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 7 months ago
roxyalaska
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm applying for this course and was wondering whether anyone has any information on how many hours of work it is per week? As in what's the classroom hour requirement. Some stuff I've read says 9-5 Mon-Fri, others say 16hrs a week varied. Thanks
Jaaydaniiels
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by roxyalaska)
I'm applying for this course and was wondering whether anyone has any information on how many hours of work it is per week? As in what's the classroom hour requirement. Some stuff I've read says 9-5 Mon-Fri, others say 16hrs a week varied. Thanks
It's about 75hour lecture and lab work and then 150 hours private study houses about 225 hours a month
little00
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve applied for this course, but I doubt I’ll get in. I’ve been working in food service for the past few years and only have a weeks’ work experience shadowing in A&E
SHOWEY
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do you doubt you would get in?
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have been wondering why there haven't been many activities/engagements/discussions on this platform... Could it be that people are unaware of it or not many people applied for the course?
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jaaydaniiels)
It's about 75hour lecture and lab work and then 150 hours private study houses about 225 hours a month
Hello Jaaydaniiels, how are you finding the course so far; which of the branches are you studying i.e. Medicine, Dental, Veterinary or Health Sciences?

Cheers in anticipation!
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by little00)
I’ve applied for this course, but I doubt I’ll get in. I’ve been working in food service for the past few years and only have a weeks’ work experience shadowing in A&E

I am sorry if you get this message twice, it was due to the fact that I was unsure how to quote when I first responded to you message.
little00
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHOWEY)

I am sorry if you get this message twice, it was due to the fact that I was unsure how to quote when I first responded to you message.
My employment history is quite shaky (mostly food service) and I don’t have a wealth of work experience.

A lot of people who apply have worked for the NHS (radiography, nursing, healthcare assistant) and have weeks and weeks of work experience with doctors. The competition seems like it’s very high. I have good GCSEs and a decent amount of volunteering, but that’s it.

I really, really want to get in because this is the only real chance for me to do medicine.
little00
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have been wondering why there haven't been many activities/engagements/discussions on this platform... Could it be that people are unaware of it or not many people applied for the course?
Yeah, I don’t think it’s super well known. I’ve looked through threads about this course from previous years, and all the threads are either empty or the same five people corresponding with each other.
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My employment history is quite shaky (mostly food service) and I don’t have a wealth of work experience.

A lot of people who apply have worked for the NHS (radiography, nursing, healthcare assistant) and have weeks and weeks of work experience with doctors. The competition seems like it’s very high. I have good GCSEs and a decent amount of volunteering, but that’s it.

I really, really want to get in because this is the only real chance for me to do medicine.
Please, do not despair, as long as you have a bit of experience and you can prove to them that you really, really want it, I believe you will be fine.
More so that you have a good GCSE, you indeed stand a chance.
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I don’t think it’s super well known. I’ve looked through threads about this course from previous years, and all the threads are either empty or the same five people corresponding with each other.
True, true... sometimes, those who don't qualify apply for it e.g, school leavers but they aren't eligible.
And, I also think it is a bit difficult to locate the name of the tsr more so that this year's got the course code.

I suppose as it stands, it is just you and I corresponding...
little00
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please, do not despair, as long as you have a bit of experience and you can prove to them that you really, really want it, I believe you will be fine.
More so that you have a good GCSE, you indeed stand a chance.
I really hope so 😭 It’s just at this age, completing A Levels just isn’t feasible financially. I suppose we’ll find out about interviews in early March, if the other threads are anything to go by.
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I really hope so 😭 It’s just at this age, completing A Levels just isn’t feasible financially. I suppose we’ll find out about interviews in early March, if the other threads are anything to go by.
I am sincerely rooting for you! Moreover, their main criteria is the Five GCSE at grades B/6 and above (which you have) and as long as you can draw from your experience from your volunteering/shadowing, I am optimistic that you will be fine.
Oh yes, going by previous threads, we should find out by either late February or early March.

Do you currently live up North?
hannahcoroner
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve applied for this course for 2020 entry! How old are you all if you don’t mind me asking? Does anyone know of anyone that already does the course? I’m not sure what my chances are but trying to stay positive haha!
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hannahcoroner)
I’ve applied for this course for 2020 entry! How old are you all if you don’t mind me asking? Does anyone know of anyone that already does the course? I’m not sure what my chances are but trying to stay positive haha!
Hello Hannah, it is great to have you join us on this platform!
I am currently 40.5yrs old.
Yes, I know someone who has already done the course and they are in Year 3. Furthermore, I met a lady during the open day last year who also did the course, she is doing her Master's as she had finished her Year 4 and will commence Year 5 as soon as she is done with her Master's.

So, how old are you, where do you live and what do you currently do?
hannahcoroner
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello Hannah, it is great to have you join us on this platform!
I am currently 40.5yrs old.
Yes, I know someone who has already done the course and they are in Year 3. Furthermore, I met a lady during the open day last year who also did the course, she is doing her Master's as she had finished her Year 4 and will commence Year 5 as soon as she is done with her Master's.

So, how old are you, where do you live and what do you currently do?
I love the .5 haha! Ah at least you can get all the tips and tricks from the people you know.

I’m 25, living on the Wirral. I’m currently a foster carer, last year I worked in a mental health hospital as a Clinical support worker however I left to become a foster carer.

What are you currently doing? Are you feeling positive about the amount of work experience that you have?
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I love the .5 haha! Ah at least you can get all the tips and tricks from the people you know.

I’m 25, living on the Wirral. I’m currently a foster carer, last year I worked in a mental health hospital as a Clinical support worker however I left to become a foster carer.

What are you currently doing? Are you feeling positive about the amount of work experience that you have?
I know right at the 0.5 bit... All the people? I only know someone who isn't my friend but is a one time colleague of a colleague of mine. The second person I met on the open day surely won't give a stranger (me) her contact of which I didn't bother to ask her anyways. So, there is neither any trick(s) nor tip(s) besides that/those which is/are in the public domain on their website and the ones from their open day that I possess.

You have the relevant experience - based on what I was told during the open day last year. You're already well positioned based on your location - Wirral. I shall require your assistance on which areas I should consider for accommodation when it is time for me to because, I have to move my family with me.

I am a Nurse.
How do you find being a Foster Carer?
hannahcoroner
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know right at the 0.5 bit... All the people? I only know someone who isn't my friend but is a one time colleague of a colleague of mine. The second person I met on the open day surely won't give a stranger (me) her contact of which I didn't bother to ask her anyways. So, there is neither any trick(s) nor tip(s) besides that/those which is/are in the public domain on their website and the ones from their open day that I possess.

You have the relevant experience - based on what I was told during the open day last year. You're already well positioned based on your location - Wirral. I shall require your assistance on which areas I should consider for accommodation when it is time for me to because, I have to move my family with me.

I am a Nurse.
How do you find being a Foster Carer?
I won’t be very good with advice about areas to live in Liverpool as I don’t actually know the area very well but the Wirral is a lovely family place!

Being a foster carer is hard work but very rewarding. Hardest job I’ve ever done as there isn’t any time off at all when you’ve got a child in placement.
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I won’t be very good with advice about areas to live in Liverpool as I don’t actually know the area very well but the Wirral is a lovely family place!

Being a foster carer is hard work but very rewarding. Hardest job I’ve ever done as there isn’t any time off at all when you’ve got a child in placement.
How long have you been living in Wirral?
Although Wirral is closer to University of Liverpool, it is about twice the distance and time to St Helens - Carmel College which is where the Year 0 programmes take place for Medicine, Dental and I think Veterinary Science too.

I can imagine how hectic it could be but the most important bit is that you enjoy it, that is the driving force that goes a long way in any career/profession.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads