SHOWEY
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by hannahcoroner)
Sorry to jump in on your conversation but I just wanted to say there is a childcare grant for students that some people are entitled to, where the government pay 85% of your childcare (capped at a certain amount). Just worth looking into so your sister can access higher education!
Hello Hannah, you don't have to be sorry to contribute in this conversation or any other one going on here, in fact, you are more than welcome to; as it appears, it is Dora and I that have been keeping this platform alive, however, the more the merrier so please, do join us in the conversations.

I thought that funding you are alluding to by the govt is for those parents that work certain hours and earn above certain threshold? However, I shall have a look at it.

I hope Dora and I haven't been boring you with our conversations?
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sorry to jump in on your conversation but I just wanted to say there is a childcare grant for students that some people are entitled to, where the government pay 85% of your childcare (capped at a certain amount). Just worth looking into so your sister can access higher education!
From the info I gleaned from the open day, UoL gives you 2k grant if you've applied for and in receipt of the SLE maintenance loan. And for the maintenance loan, which is means tested, one could get up to 10k.
However, I am unaware of this up to 85% govt childcare grant, I need to look into it.
hannahcoroner
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SHOWEY)
Hello Hannah, you don't have to be sorry to contribute in this conversation or any other one going on here, in fact, you are more than welcome to; as it appears, it is Dora and I that have been keeping this platform alive, however, the more the merrier so please, do join us in the conversations.

I thought that funding you are alluding to by the govt is for those parents that work certain hours and earn above certain threshold? However, I shall have a look at it.

I hope Dora and I haven't been boring you with our conversations?

https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant here is the link for you to have a look. I think there is an eligibility criteria but it’s definitely worth looking into.
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant here is the link for you to have a look. I think there is an eligibility criteria but it’s definitely worth looking into.
Cheers for posting the link Hannah. I've had a quick look and it appears you and I aren't eligible as we have a previous degree; it has to be applied for along line studentl loan.

Although, we should be eligible for maintenance loan which I am not intending to take... But, with Nursing students' maintenance grant being restored, will that be the case for Medics' too?
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant

Hannah, that's the initial one you were alluding to.

Dora, your sister could benefit from that.
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
https://www.gov.uk/parents-learning-...7-5687d8fbb64a

There is also parents learning allowance which is the one I was alluding to that you and I aren't eligible Hannah.
Dora amos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant

Hannah, that's the initial one you were alluding to.

Dora, your sister could benefit from that.
Ah yeah she doesn’t have a previous degree

How many people get onto this course without a previous degree I wonder
As I said before can you just use GCSEs without a degree
I will pass that link onto her

Thank you
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dora amos)
Ah yeah she doesn’t have a previous degree

How many people get onto this course without a previous degree I wonder
As I said before can you just use GCSEs without a degree
I will pass that link onto her

Thank you
The main prerequisites are the 5 Bs and above in GCSE/IGCSE... Both people I know of on the course don't have a previous degree.
As long as one has the aforementioned grades and the right work experience, then, they stand a chance.
CastlesandCats
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi All,

I have also applied for the course (medicine entry). Very nervous my application / personal statement wasn't strong enough - it was so hard to say what I wanted to say in the word count!

Showey, thanks for sharing your experiences - it's so useful and encouraging!
Dora amos
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The main prerequisites are the 5 Bs and above in GCSE/IGCSE... Both people I know of on the course don't have a previous degree.
As long as one has the aforementioned grades and the right work experience, then, they stand a chance.
Ah ok that’s great. I did work experience in neuro surgery and I have been volunteering with a humanitarian charity that helps displaced people when they suffer from crisis this could be suicidal people, fires, immigration crime, hate crime etc.
It helps people and it really makes me feel like I’m making a difference. I gather voluntary work is classified as work experience and I’m of course I have life experience and my job. I’m work in the florist but you comfort people buying flowers for funerals or for anniversary’s of their loved ones passing away and they can get quite upset when they try to think about what flower or type the person that’s passed away would like.
You have to have compassion and a heart to comfort those people.
Then we get people buying flowers for date night and other happy occasions
So I’ve learnt a lot from that.
So hopefully that’s enough
The GCSEs are fine just the degree that threw me off.
Have you applied?!

Thank you

Edited for a thank you and a ?!

I’m hoping they send a form for work experience etc because I had to explain my battles with health and my dad and self teaching GCSEs etc so I struggled to put all my important work experiences down. Hopefully they do
Last edited by Dora amos; 2 months ago
Dora amos
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CastlesandCats)
Hi All,

I have also applied for the course (medicine entry). Very nervous my application / personal statement wasn't strong enough - it was so hard to say what I wanted to say in the word count!

I’m hoping they send a form for work experience etc because I had to explain my battles with health and my dad and self teaching GCSEs etc so I struggled to put all my important work experiences down. Hopefully they do
hannahcoroner
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi All,

Ah I’m sure your personal statement was fine! I have to admit I struggled to stick to the word count too... I had to edit it a load of times to cut things out. Do you live local to Liverpool?
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi All,

Hello Castlesandcats, it is nice of you to join us in here!
Why do you think your application isn't string enough? Please, do not put yourself down...

What's your background as in what experience have you got and what do you do?

I am glad that you have found my experiences beneficial.
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ah ok that’s great. I did work experience in neuro surgery and I have been volunteering with a humanitarian charity that helps displaced people when they suffer from crisis this could be suicidal people, fires, immigration crime, hate crime etc.
It helps people and it really makes me feel like I’m making a difference. I gather voluntary work is classified as work experience and I’m of course I have life experience and my job. I’m work in the florist but you comfort people buying flowers for funerals or for anniversary’s of their loved ones passing away and they can get quite upset when they try to think about what flower or type the person that’s passed away would like.
You have to have compassion and a heart to comfort those people.
Then we get people buying flowers for date night and other happy occasions
So I’ve learnt a lot from that.
So hopefully that’s enough
The GCSEs are fine just the degree that threw me off.
Have you applied?!

Thank you

Edited for a thank you and a ?!

From what I have read, yes, you do have the relevant experience more so that you did a work experience/shadowing on a Neuro surgery...
You definitely don't require a degree for this course - it is an addendum only if you have it.

Oh yes, I have applied; I applied November last year (2019).
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No, they don't send extra form for the 789S application.
Dora amos
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ah yeah that’s all the experience I have I hope it’s enough.
How did you get on last year?
Neurosurgery is my only work experience very hard to get and took me best part of a year to get because I’m not attached to schools
Hopefully it’s enough
Dora amos
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So I should add In my work experience and voluntary worm somewhere then

Do you interview at Liverpool uni or at Carmel and why does the interview medical staff and students or Carmel?
Last edited by Dora amos; 2 months ago
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Do you interview at Liverpool uni or at Carmel and why does the interview medical staff and students or Carmel?
Ah yeah that’s all the experience I have I hope it’s enough.
How did you get on last year?
Neurosurgery is my only work experience very hard to get and took me best part of a year to get because I’m not attached to schools
Hopefully it’s enough
I applied for this cycle whose application commenced September last (2019), so, I am waiting to be invited for interview in March 2020.

I can imagine how difficult it could be to get a place for work experience/shadowing...
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

The interview is in UoL.
It is the running of the Year 0 course that is contracted to Carmel College.
SHOWEY
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

It is essential that you do that.

The interview is done at UoL.
The Year 0 is contracted out to Carmel College to run.

Are you putting your application in for this cycle to start in September 2020? If that is the case, you want to put in your application asap.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (206)
52.15%
No, they should still go ahead (56)
14.18%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (133)
33.67%

Watched Threads