The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHOWEY
I applied for this cycle whose application commenced September last (2019), so, I am waiting to be invited for interview in March 2020.

I can imagine how difficult it could be to get a place for work experience/shadowing...

Ah sorry I keep forgetting it 2020 I still write the wrong date on papers hahaha.
I thought applications had already closed!
I plan to apply next cycle all being well. I’m pretty terrified to be honest.

Good luck with your application hope you get in.
I’m quite worried that I might bump into medics I’ve liaised with on social media - that would make me feel so awkward especially some that are in year 4 of their degree. I’ve never asked advice of them but we’ve spoken about Medicine and articles. I’m not that memorable but you never know. Haha
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Dora amos
Ah sorry I keep forgetting it 2020 I still write the wrong date on papers hahaha.
I thought applications had already closed!
I plan to apply next cycle all being well. I’m pretty terrified to be honest.

Good luck with your application hope you get in.
I’m quite worried that I might bump into medics I’ve liaised with on social media - that would make me feel so awkward especially some that are in year 4 of their degree. I’ve never asked advice of them but we’ve spoken about Medicine and articles. I’m not that memorable but you never know. Haha

Theoretically, it is closed but I learnt people can still make application until the admission tutors officially close it.

I am not quite sure if you should be worried about people you both prolly won't recognise one other...
So has it been up to 4 or 5 years you've been discussing Medicine on social media?

How do you mean @ 'we've spoken about Medicine and articles'?
Original post by SHOWEY
Theoretically, it is closed but I learnt people can still make application until the admission tutors officially close it.

I am not quite sure if you should be worried about people you both prolly won't recognise one other...
So has it been up to 4 or 5 years you've been discussing Medicine on social media?

How do you mean @ 'we've spoken about Medicine and articles'?

So when my dad got Parkinson’s I was following some people on Instagram, some are medics who I followed for revision motivation (yes I’m that person who has a social media full of studying related things as well as beauty and a few others) people post things you comment etc then conversation ensues and you discussed something like simkevi and kalydeco. Not that long just the odd thing here or there but I’m more worried if I saw one of these people I follow in an interview I might feel a bit awkward. You see people usually look at your pictures to decipher what you look like. They probably don’t remember me but I can get a bit socially shy. Because I can get a bit shy I think k noticing someone I’ve followed a while might make that worse.
A couple are 3rd years started following me when I discussed my dads Parkinson’s and I explained the true impact it had on his life and explained what it’s like for him, not just in the 10 minutes a doctor sees but what it’s like 24/7 and I think a few of them must’ve been on their neuro block because I got a fair few followers from a that. I don’t use my social media much these days because well my dad died from a brain tumour and so it kind of stopped there.
Articles as in new research mainly bbc related, new scientist or the old favourite pubmed. These students must be heading towards their final year after the summer. So not years no.
Original post by SHOWEY
Hello Castlesandcats, it is nice of you to join us in here!
Why do you think your application isn't string enough? Please, do not put yourself down...

What's your background as in what experience have you got and what do you do?

I am glad that you have found my experiences beneficial.

Hi Showey,

I'm currently a Practice Manager of a large GP Surgery. I have worked in healthcare for over 10 years but in non-clinical roles. It was actually one of the Doctors who encouraged me to apply. Like yourself, at School age I did not have the confidence or background to consider medicine - Now later in life I feel excited by the opportunity and confident that I could apply myself academically to achieve on the course!

Found it extremely hard to put my experiences in the limited word count - but did my best and fingers crossed....!!

If successful I would be relocating to Liverpool - which in itself is awesome - it's such an incredible city!
Reply 84
So when my dad got Parkinson’s I was following some people on Instagram, some are medics who I followed for revision motivation (yes I’m that person who has a social media full of studying related things as well as beauty and a few others) people post things you comment etc then conversation ensues and you discussed something like simkevi and kalydeco. Not that long just the odd thing here or there but I’m more worried if I saw one of these people I follow in an interview I might feel a bit awkward. You see people usually look at your pictures to decipher what you look like. They probably don’t remember me but I can get a bit socially shy. Because I can get a bit shy I think k noticing someone I’ve followed a while might make that worse.
A couple are 3rd years started following me when I discussed my dads Parkinson’s and I explained the true impact it had on his life and explained what it’s like for him, not just in the 10 minutes a doctor sees but what it’s like 24/7 and I think a few of them must’ve been on their neuro block because I got a fair few followers from a that. I don’t use my social media much these days because well my dad died from a brain tumour and so it kind of stopped there.
Articles as in new research mainly bbc related, new scientist or the old favourite pubmed. These students must be heading towards their final year after the summer. So not years no.

Sorry to hear about your Dad's.

I guess they would respect you more for following your dream regardless of how long it's taken you to achieve it.
Reply 85
Original post by CastlesandCats
Hi Showey,

I'm currently a Practice Manager of a large GP Surgery. I have worked in healthcare for over 10 years but in non-clinical roles. It was actually one of the Doctors who encouraged me to apply. Like yourself, at School age I did not have the confidence or background to consider medicine - Now later in life I feel excited by the opportunity and confident that I could apply myself academically to achieve on the course!

Found it extremely hard to put my experiences in the limited word count - but did my best and fingers crossed....!!

If successful I would be relocating to Liverpool - which in itself is awesome - it's such an incredible city!

That's is great at Practice Manager: well done you! It wouldn't be a struggle for you to get work experience/shadowing at the GP Surgery. And you could equally get hands on there too.

My situation is slightly unique in the sense that during my Secondary School days, the thought of Medicine never crossed my mind, not because I lacked the confidence to but because I succumbed to both societal and peer pressures, I proceeded to study Engineering. But, in my 2nd year, I actually did a self discovery and made up my mind to study Nursing but, I decided to complete my Engineering first before pursuing Nursing. I need to quickly point this one though, I had never studied A Levels although, my O-level is higher than GCSE, it is lower than A-levels.

When I told my Mum about my plan of studying Nursing, I met a bit of a resistance but, eventually, I was let off and she told me that right from childhood, I had been a very caring person and she isn't too surprised that I was going down the Nursing route.

I started as an HCA and I was an HCA for 5.5 years before I proceeded to study Nursing. My days as an HCA were really beneficial while studying Nursing as I was able to draw and apply almost all the knowledge and skills I had acquired as an HCA both in class and on placements.
It was after practising Nursing for some years that I then arrived at the decision to study Medicine.
This course is indeed ideal for me as I would do the science element in Year 0 which will serve as a strong science basis for me to undertake Medical studies.
Original post by SHOWEY
Sorry to hear about your Dad's.

I guess they would respect you more for following your dream regardless of how long it's taken you to achieve it.

Oh yeah absolutely. It’s not a race as long as you get there or try your best.
Thank you, he’s a peace now bless him and that’s everything. I’ll get there :smile:
Original post by SHOWEY
That's is great at Practice Manager: well done you! It wouldn't be a struggle for you to get work experience/shadowing at the GP Surgery. And you could equally get hands on there too.

My situation is slightly unique in the sense that during my Secondary School days, the thought of Medicine never crossed my mind, not because I lacked the confidence to but because I succumbed to both societal and peer pressures, I proceeded to study Engineering. But, in my 2nd year, I actually did a self discovery and made up my mind to study Nursing but, I decided to complete my Engineering first before pursuing Nursing. I need to quickly point this one though, I had never studied A Levels although, my O-level is higher than GCSE, it is lower than A-levels.

When I told my Mum about my plan of studying Nursing, I met a bit of a resistance but, eventually, I was let off and she told me that right from childhood, I had been a very caring person and she isn't too surprised that I was going down the Nursing route.

I started as an HCA and I was an HCA for 5.5 years before I proceeded to study Nursing. My days as an HCA were really beneficial while studying Nursing as I was able to draw and apply almost all the knowledge and skills I had acquired as an HCA both in class and on placements.
It was after practising Nursing for some years that I then arrived at the decision to study Medicine.
This course is indeed ideal for me as I would do the science element in Year 0 which will serve as a strong science basis for me to undertake Medical studies.

Wow what a journey you have had. It’s a shame those with A levels can’t apply to this course because some take the courses before they know who they are or what they want to do as you’ve proven sometimes you discover that later through experiences.
It’s so hard. Good luck
Reply 88
Wow what a journey you have had. It’s a shame those with A levels can’t apply to this course because some take the courses before they know who they are or what they want to do as you’ve proven sometimes you discover that later through experiences.
It’s so hard. Good luck

I have indeed been through quite a journey.

Those with A levels who have been out of education for a while can also apply especially those without the relevant A levels.
Reply 89
Hi guys, I’ve also applied to this course. Does anyone know typically how many people apply and how many places there are ?
Reply 90
Original post by Marz12
Hi guys, I’ve also applied to this course. Does anyone know typically how many people apply and how many places there are ?

Hello Marz12,
About a hundred people would have applied for this course, of which about 60% aren't eligible. So, about 35 to 40 would be eligible and there are 12 places available for the Medicine route.

What's your background, what experience have you got and where do you currently live?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 91
Tbh I’m not sure how eligible I am. I applied all the way in October. I’m 24 years old. I live in Greater Manchester and I’ve been working as an occupational therapist (OT) for 2 years in an active hospital. It’s a rotational post so I’ve covered a number of different wards. I graduated from uni as an OT over 2 years ago and did my A level about 5 years ago but none of them were science based.
Reply 92
*acute hospital
Reply 93
Original post by Marz12
Tbh I’m not sure how eligible I am. I applied all the way in October. I’m 24 years old. I live in Greater Manchester and I’ve been working as an occupational therapist (OT) for 2 years in an active hospital. It’s a rotational post so I’ve covered a number of different wards. I graduated from uni as an OT over 2 years ago and did my A level about 5 years ago but none of them were science based.

You appear eligible to me as long as you have minimum of 5 Bs and above in your GCSE.
Reply 94
Great thanks ! And am I right in thinking that they typically accept for interview/ reject offers in February ? Also have you applied to any other universities for a similar course ?
Reply 95
Original post by Marz12
Great thanks ! And am I right in thinking that they typically accept for interview/ reject offers in February ? Also have you applied to any other universities for a similar course ?

Based on previous years, Invitation for Interview goes out in early March for interview from mid March. And offers go out from March as well...

No, UoL is the only one I have applied to. What about you, which other University have you applied to?
Reply 96
Thanks, I’ve also only applied for this course.
Reply 97
Original post by Marz12
Thanks, I’ve also only applied for this course.

You are most welcome!
How did you get to know about the course?
Reply 98
I’ve been interested in pursuing further study for some time and doing something more challenging then what I do now. I did a lot of research but didn’t give myself enough time to sit the UKcat or GAMSAT and try to apply for the 4 year course. Also I don’t have a medical or science background so I found this course which is perfect for me. And yourself ?
Reply 99
Original post by Marz12
I’ve been interested in pursuing further study for some time and doing something more challenging then what I do now. I did a lot of research but didn’t give myself enough time to sit the UKcat or GAMSAT and try to apply for the 4 year course. Also I don’t have a medical or science background so I found this course which is perfect for me. And yourself ?

You have indeed applied to the right course.

I didn't have to do A levels in my previous study, hence, I have no A levels. I was considering applying for Medicine when one of my colleagues told me about this course and I researched it and found out it is suitable for me. I then attended the open day last year and got more info first hand.

Latest