ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago

Welcome to the Newcastle University A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/...courseoverview

For entry requirements click: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/...ryrequirements

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
_aries
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey guys, anyone considering NUmed Malaysia this year?
Anonymous_000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Univeristy Of Newcastle don’t really have GCSE requirements for medicine and they are really heavy on the Ucat, so I was wondering if it is possible to get into The University Of Newcastle with bad GCSE grades considering you have the appropriate a level grades and has anyone got in with bad GCSE grades?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous_000)
Univeristy Of Newcastle don’t really have GCSE requirements for medicine and they are really heavy on the Ucat, so I was wondering if it is possible to get into The University Of Newcastle with bad GCSE grades considering you have the appropriate a level grades and has anyone got in with bad GCSE grades?
GANFYD will be able to shed some light on this.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
GANFYD will be able to shed some light on this.
Yes, absolutely. There are no specific GCSE requirements. In terms of academics, they require you to be predicted AAA in almost any A level subjects and meet the Eng Lang requirements and that is it. Then they rank applicants on their UCAT for interview and offer places based on interview performance.

It is also possible to get into Glasgow (B in English), ARU (5 Cs or above), Bristol (A in Maths, C in English), Imperial (B in English), UCL (B in maths and Eng and C in modern lang), Plymouth ( 7 Cs or above) and Exeter (Eng and Maths at C or above) with less than stellar GCSEs
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Tysm that really helps, they also have a programme in which you attend a summer school and they lower the grade boundaries to ABB, do they pick anyone for that or is it based on predictions and UCAT?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Yes, absolutely. There are no specific GCSE requirements. In terms of academics, they require you to be predicted AAA in almost any A level subjects and meet the Eng Lang requirements and that is it. Then they rank applicants on their UCAT for interview and offer places based on interview performance.

It is also possible to get into Glasgow (B in English), ARU (5 Cs or above), Bristol (A in Maths, C in English), Imperial (B in English), UCL (B in maths and Eng and C in modern lang), Plymouth ( 7 Cs or above) and Exeter (Eng and Maths at C or above) with less than stellar GCSEs
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Tysm that really helps, they also have a programme in which you attend a summer school and they lower the grade boundaries to ABB, do they pick anyone for that or is it based on predictions and UCAT?
The PARTNERS scheme is a widening access scheme and you have to fulfill the requirements and then apply - if you meet them, you will be accepted
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/

If you meet other WA or contextual requirements then GCSE grades, UCAT cut off and A level grades may be reduced without being on a specific scheme.
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What is WA? Btw I meet the eligibility criteria, but I’m not sure how it works. I’m most likely going to get predicted an ABB by my school, so if I apply to this, do they accept me based on the fact that I am eligible or do they have a look at anything else? I haven’t sat the UCAT yet but hope to do good in that. The website says that you need a minimum of ABB to get accepted so if I I get predicted ABB would they give me an interview straight away? This about Newcastle University.
The PARTNERS scheme is a widening access scheme and you have to fulfill the requirements and then apply - if you meet them, you will be accepted
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/

If you meet other WA or contextual requirements then GCSE grades, UCAT cut off and A level grades may be reduced without being on a specific scheme.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What is WA? Btw I meet the eligibility criteria, but I’m not sure how it works. I’m most likely going to get predicted an ABB by my school, so if I apply to this, do they accept me based on the fact that I am eligible or do they have a look at anything else? I haven’t sat the UCAT yet but hope to do good in that. The website says that you need a minimum of ABB to get accepted so if I I get predicted ABB would they give me an interview straight away? This about Newcastle University.
WA is widening access, similar to the criteria for Partners, all med schools have them

You apply for Partners and I have never known anybody who meets the requirement be declined. It gives you a lower offer and usually has a lower UCAT cut off (though this is not guaranteed). Oddly, though, the interview score needed for an offer has not infrequently been higher than that for a non-Partners applicant!
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I mean the scoring ect is ok but my main concern is receiving the interview in the first place. So if I have ABB requirements for a level and a band1/band2 UKCAT, would I defiantly receive an interview? Can you tell me Moreno about the WA scheme as I haven’t heard of that for Newcastle University. Iv heard of RO but that’s not about it.
WA is widening access, similar to the criteria for Partners, all med schools have them

You apply for Partners and I have never known anybody who meets the requirement be declined. It gives you a lower offer and usually has a lower UCAT cut off (though this is not guaranteed). Oddly, though, the interview score needed for an offer has not infrequently been higher than that for a non-Partners applicant!
Last edited by Anonymous_000; 2 months ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I mean the scoring ect is ok but my main concern is receiving the interview in the first place. So if I have ABB requirements for a level and a band1/band2 UKCAT, would I defiantly receive an interview? Can you tell me Moreno about the WA scheme as I haven’t heard of that for Newcastle University.
No, there will be a UCAT cut off for PARTNERS applicants, which has tended to hover around the 650 mark. They do not look at SJT.
PARTNERS is Newcastle's widening access scheme, though they also use contextual data for people who do not meet PARTNERS criteria, or who are on Realising Opportunites (a Nationwide WA scheme). Other unis have schemes with other names or just ask you to inform them if you have WA criteria
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am eligible for the partners scheme. So does that mean I will receive an interview if I have a good UCAT score with a prediction of ABB? And also, if I send my application of for ucas and partners, will Newcastle look whether Iv applied for partners as the requirement is AAA but il have ABB with the partners scheme?
No, there will be a UCAT cut off for PARTNERS applicants, which has tended to hover around the 650 mark. They do not look at SJT.
PARTNERS is Newcastle's widening access scheme, though they also use contextual data for people who do not meet PARTNERS criteria, or who are on Realising Opportunites (a Nationwide WA scheme). Other unis have schemes with other names or just ask you to inform them if you have WA criteria
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am eligible for the partners scheme. So does that mean I will receive an interview if I have a good UCAT score with a prediction of ABB? And also, if I send my application of for ucas and partners, will Newcastle look whether Iv applied for partners as the requirement is AAA but il have ABB with the partners scheme?
This is on their website?
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/apply/
Yes, Partners need ABB predicted and to be above whatever the UCAT cut off is for interview
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes, so I’m guessing they give interviews based on ABB predictions and the ukcat cutoff. Are they selective on whom they give an interview or do they just give to everyone who meets the minimum requirements?
This is on their website?
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/apply/
Yes, Partners need ABB predicted and to be above whatever the UCAT cut off is for interview
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes, so I’m guessing they give interviews based on ABB predictions and the ukcat cutoff. Are they selective on whom they give an interview or do they just give to everyone who meets the minimum requirements?
They decide how many they want to interview, let's say 200 and the UCAT cut off is the score of the 200th person, everybody above that is interviewed, everybody below it is rejected
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh ok so the aim is to get the highest ukcat score as possible. Do you recommend anything special for the ukcat in Terms of revision material, I have mind in a month and I want a technique that works and not waste time spending time on one that works. Thanks for the help btw, really appreciate it.
They decide how many they want to interview, let's say 200 and the UCAT cut off is the score of the 200th person, everybody above that is interviewed, everybody below it is rejected
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh ok so the aim is to get the highest ukcat score as possible. Do you recommend anything special for the ukcat in Terms of revision material, I have mind in a month and I want a technique that works and not waste time spending time on one that works. Thanks for the help btw, really appreciate it.
Everybody will find a technique that works best for them, there is no "one size fits all". Most people feel Medify is the best way to prepare
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Everybody will find a technique that works best for them, there is no "one size fits all". Most people feel Medify is the best way to prepare
Yes was considering medify and the 1250 questions book. Thanks a lot for the help.
DR2000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, Medify for me was the best way to practice because of the large amount of practice tests and the time limits which help imitate the real thing. The format also prepares you for what it would be like in the real test whereas a book can't.
Yes was considering medify and the 1250 questions book. Thanks a lot for the help.
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you I was considering medify alongside the book as I have the book already. I just need to get a good score and practice as much as I can.
(Original post by DR2000)
Hi, Medify for me was the best way to practice because of the large amount of practice tests and the time limits which help imitate the real thing. The format also prepares you for what it would be like in the real test whereas a book can't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
26.26%
No (132)
73.74%

Watched Threads