Anonymous_000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You know the 1250 questions book for the ukcat (Isc) , is it complicated than the actual thing. Because with abstract reasoning I seem to get little to no answers right.
(Original post by GANFYD)
Everybody will find a technique that works best for them, there is no "one size fits all". Most people feel Medify is the best way to prepare
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous_000)
You know the 1250 questions book for the ukcat (Isc) , is it complicated than the actual thing. Because with abstract reasoning I seem to get little to no answers right.
You are better off asking this in the UCAT thread. The general consensus over the years is that the 1250 book is harder than the real exam, yes. Although none of the preparation sites are perfect, people seem to think Medify is closest to the real thing
Last edited by GANFYD; 6 months ago
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You are better off losing their in the UCAT thread. The general consensus over the years is that the 1250 book is harder than the real exam, yes. Although none of the preparation sites are perfect, people seem to think Medify is closest to the real thing
Oh ok thank you, the abstract patterns seem quite hard and in some cases in realistic.
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You are better off losing their in the UCAT thread. The general consensus over the years is that the 1250 book is harder than the real exam, yes. Although none of the preparation sites are perfect, people seem to think Medify is closest to the real thing
sorry to disturb you but somethings really concerning me. I don’t need have the best GCSE’s and my a level predictions are most likely going to be ABB, do I have a chance on the partners programme, if I meeting the ukcat threshold? I heard Newcastle don’t look at GCSE’s, is that’s true? And will they accept me with the ABB considering I have met the ukcat threshold? Has there been others with similar cases as me?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
sorry to disturb you but somethings really concerning me. I don’t need have the best GCSE’s and my a level predictions are most likely going to be ABB, do I have a chance on the partners programme, if I meeting the ukcat threshold? I heard Newcastle don’t look at GCSE’s, is that’s true? And will they accept me with the ABB considering I have met the ukcat threshold? Has there been others with similar cases as me?
Newcastle do not look at GCSEs. If you are accepted on to the PARTNERS scheme then you need ABB predicted and after that selection for interview is just done using UCAT score, which historically has been around the 650 mark for PARTNERS (though there is no guarantee it will be again this year, you are competing against everybody else who applies on PARTNERS). This happens for lots of people every year
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Newcastle do not look at GCSEs. If you are accepted on to the PARTNERS scheme then you need ABB predicted and after that selection for interview is just done using UCAT score, which historically has been around the 650 mark for PARTNERS (though there is no guarantee it will be again this year, you are competing against everybody else who applies on PARTNERS). This happens for lots of people every year
If I get predicted ABB and I meet the criteria of the Partners Scheme, would I be disadvantaged of getting on the partners scheme in comparison to those people who have applied with AAB, or will they just focus on my ukcat once Iv got the minimum prediction of ABB?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If I get predicted ABB and I meet the criteria of the Partners Scheme, would I be disadvantaged of getting on the partners scheme in comparison to those people who have applied with AAB, or will they just focus on my ukcat once Iv got the minimum prediction of ABB?
No, provided you meet the minumum requirements they do not look at academics any further and selection is based in UCAT score
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No, provided you meet the minumum requirements they do not look at academics any further and selection is based in UCAT score
Thanks a bunch, I was confused to whether they take higher grades into consideration in comparison to lower ones.
earl2334
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, how much emphasis do Newcastle put on the personal statement? Is it a huge part of the selection process?
smscku
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by earl2334)
Hi, how much emphasis do Newcastle put on the personal statement? Is it a huge part of the selection process?
The interview invites are based on whether the applicant meets minimum entry requirements, and then UCAT score. Applicants are ranked by UCAT score to be invited to interview. They use MMI, and the interviewers do not have access to your PS or reference before or during the interview. Offers are then made primarily based on interview performance.
^Paraphrased from their admissions policy. So it does not appear that they assess the personal statement
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by smscku)
The interview invites are based on whether the applicant meets minimum entry requirements, and then UCAT score. Applicants are ranked by UCAT score to be invited to interview. They use MMI, and the interviewers do not have access to your PS or reference before or during the interview. Offers are then made primarily based on interview performance.
^Paraphrased from their admissions policy. So it does not appear that they assess the personal statement
Correct. They review it for “red flags” before making an offer, but as long as you haven’t mentioned the axe murdering and meth kitchen you’ll be fine 😛
earl2334
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does Newcastle want applicants to get AAA predicted or AAA achieved in AS?
random-user246
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I just did my UKCAT today and I got 600 average which is low due to my one week of minimal revision. Do I still have a chance on the partners programme? What are the UCAT thresholds for partners? My last hope was actually applying to Newcastle but even that seems near to impossible this year. I may have to take a gap year and apply. Any suggestions or statistics on the threasholds would be really appreciated.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by random-user246)
I just did my UKCAT today and I got 600 average which is low due to my one week of minimal revision. Do I still have a chance on the partners programme? What are the UCAT thresholds for partners? My last hope was actually applying to Newcastle but even that seems near to impossible this year. I may have to take a gap year and apply. Any suggestions or statistics on the threasholds would be really appreciated.
The Partners cut off has been a bit all over the place, but has generally been around 650, so I suspect you are a bit low, sorry!
random-user246
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The Partners cut off has been a bit all over the place, but has generally been around 650, so I suspect you are a bit low, sorry!
Is there a chance of being at 600? I checked a few years and the average was quite low. But not sure. I mean my only other chance is to get achieved a level results and apply the following year. I’m really not sure what to do.
random-user246
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I don't have the best GCSE results and I was thinking of achieving my a level results, taking a gap year and reapplying. What are the chances of me getting into medicine after a level results and a hopefully a higher UCAT score? Which Universities look highly of achieved a level results?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I don't have the best GCSE results and I was thinking of achieving my a level results, taking a gap year and reapplying. What are the chances of me getting into medicine after a level results and a hopefully a higher UCAT score? Which Universities look highly of achieved a level results?
A few years ago the cut offs were weird due to a UKCAT mess up the year before .
You stand a very good chance applying to places with achieved A levels
Advantage with Achieved A levels

Cardiff (add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points), UEA, Aberdeen (both give extra points for achieved A levels), Liverpool (say "Applicants with a minimum of 12 points at GCSE may be considered if, at the time of application, they have achieved AAA in Biology, Chemistry and 1 other academic A2 level at a single sitting"), and Leicester (will actually interview anyone with achieved grades who meets minimum requirements, stating " Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA or A*AB at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 or 7,6,51 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs, AND have a total UCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you to interview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.”

Post your stats onthe megathread and people will offer advice about where you can possibly apply this year and then if unsuccessful you can take a gap year
random-user246
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
A few years ago the cut offs were weird due to a UKCAT mess up the year before .
You stand a very good chance applying to places with achieved A levels
Advantage with Achieved A levels

Cardiff (add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points), UEA, Aberdeen (both give extra points for achieved A levels), Liverpool (say "Applicants with a minimum of 12 points at GCSE may be considered if, at the time of application, they have achieved AAA in Biology, Chemistry and 1 other academic A2 level at a single sitting"), and Leicester (will actually interview anyone with achieved grades who meets minimum requirements, stating " Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA or A*AB at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 or 7,6,51 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs, AND have a total UCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you to interview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.”

Post your stats onthe megathread and people will offer advice about where you can possibly apply this year and then if unsuccessful you can take a gap ye
Can you tag me there, unsure where the thread is. I want to make Newcastle my firm choice, do I have the chance with achieved a level results and a better UCAT score? Which Universities discard your GCSES once you have a
evel results, because realistically I don't think id get an offer for medicine from any uni that takes GCSESs into consideration regardless of my a level grades.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Can you tag me there, unsure where the thread is. I want to make Newcastle my firm choice, do I have the chance with achieved a level results and a better UCAT score? Which Universities discard your GCSES once you have a
evel results, because realistically I don't think id get an offer for medicine from any uni that takes GCSESs into consideration regardless of my a level grades.
I have just posted above all those who give and advantage for achieved A levels?
Newcastle will accept you as long as you are predicted or have achieved 3 As and are above their UCAT cut off

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...622970&page=68
random-user246
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have just posted above all those who give and advantage for achieved A levels?
Newcastle will accept you as long as you are predicted or have achieved 3 As and are above their UCAT cut off

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...622970&page=68
Oh ok thank you very much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.53%
No (241)
33.47%

Watched Threads