srikanth.d
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by jmuse)
Hey I’m applying through PARTNERS too - which of the criteria do you think you qualify for?
Asian Indian + State school. How about you?
Advertisement
srikanth.d
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
I think they may be considered selective but best to check
Called Newcastle admissions team and itseems grammar schools are considered state schools, any school where state is funding (for e.g. not private schools).
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by srikanth.d)
Called Newcastle admissions team and itseems grammar schools are considered state schools, any school where state is funding (for e.g. not private schools).
You’re pretty lucky then - I would have loved to go to grammar school but there aren’t any where I’m from
Advertisement
srikanth.d
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Laycity)
How much do you like Newcastle to risk it? It was bang on the cut off for last year. I'd make sure your other choices are safer if you go for it.
I am a little confused, I called Newcastle and they said previous two year cutoffs have been 2500+ and 2600+.

I like Newcastle but wouldn't want to risk loosing an option.
student0299
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh okay. I think I might just apply normally seeing as I have received my achieved grades rather than through Partners
Advertisement
Laycity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am a little confused, I called Newcastle and they said previous two year cutoffs have been 2500+ and 2600+.

I like Newcastle but wouldn't want to risk loosing an option.
That would have been for partners and WP applicants. Do you qualify for these?

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclac...ers%202019.pdf
Last edited by Laycity; 4 months ago
srikanth.d
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Laycity)
That would have been for partners and WP applicants. Do you qualify for these?

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclac...ers%202019.pdf
Many thanks for this link.
I have 2740 which is just 20 points above last year. Its a difficult decision to make.
Advertisement
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by jmuse)
Ah right - I’m eligible on postcode and parental education/occupation.
Good luck - I’m also applying through PARTNERS
Ramore
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck - I’m also applying through PARTNERS
Thanks! Best of luck to you too
Advertisement
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Also, in the partners I qualify for one of the criteria however not sure if grammar schools are considered state schools. Would anyone know please?
Most Grammar schools are state schools, but being selective, they are unlikely to meet the school criteria needed for Partners (unless through the BAME criteria). A state school is simply one where you do not pay fees.

Schools/Colleges in England

The school you attended at age 16 has a GCSE Attainment 8 score of 41 or less.
The school you currently attend has an average point score per A Level entry of 24 or less.
The school you currently attend has over 50% of pupils in receipt of, or are eligible for, Free School Meals.
Last edited by GANFYD; 4 months ago
srikanth.d
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Most Grammar schools are state schools, but being selective, they are unlikely to meet the school criteria needed for Partners (unless through the BAME criteria). A state school is simply one where you do not pay fees.

Schools/Colleges in England

The school you attended at age 16 has a GCSE Attainment 8 score of 41 or less.
The school you currently attend has an average point score per A Level entry of 24 or less.
The school you currently attend has over 50% of pupils in receipt of, or are eligible for, Free School Meals.
Thanks and you are right, Newcastle has published a list of qualifying schools on their website.
Advertisement
srikanth.d
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck to all applying.
TheGraduateMedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Current Newcastle student, I’m on the accelerated course so can answer general queries about Newcastle medicine, but not course specific. If any of you have any questions then please do @ me
Advertisement
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Antibiotics)
Current Newcastle student, I’m on the accelerated course so can answer general queries about Newcastle medicine, but not course specific. If any of you have any questions then please do @ me
Antibiotics how do you find the teaching staff at Newcastle and does the medical school feel supportive?
What do you find it like as a student in Newcastle?
TheGraduateMedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Antibiotics how do you find the teaching staff at Newcastle and does the medical school feel supportive?
What do you find it like as a student in Newcastle?
So I have similar lectures to the ones you will have, bar a few staff changes. I have to say - absolutely phenomenal. So the medical school designed its own learning environment. You access all the lecture material here, but they also post tutorials to support your learning for the ‘self directed case outcomes’, particularly in the foundation block. A few times we’ve queried things that seemed a bit rushed (again, I’m accelerated, so one of our lectures is sometimes what a100’s cover in four), and the lecturers have always responded by uploading a video onto the MLE (learning environment), or supplementary material. All the tutors for seminars are GP tutors which is a massive benefit.

The medical school is supportive but you have to be open with them. I have had a few issues since starting with my living situation, and I have had to miss a few things which I just emailed my tutor and course director about and they helped me arrive at a solution.

As a student, I love it. The medical societies are great and plentiful (I’ve joined MSF, emergency medicine and about every single one under the sun). Nightlife - 3 trebles for £5 need I really say more. It’s very small as a city in my experience, and feels very homely
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So I have similar lectures to the ones you will have, bar a few staff changes. I have to say - absolutely phenomenal. So the medical school designed its own learning environment. You access all the lecture material here, but they also post tutorials to support your learning for the ‘self directed case outcomes’, particularly in the foundation block. A few times we’ve queried things that seemed a bit rushed (again, I’m accelerated, so one of our lectures is sometimes what a100’s cover in four), and the lecturers have always responded by uploading a video onto the MLE (learning environment), or supplementary material. All the tutors for seminars are GP tutors which is a massive benefit.

The medical school is supportive but you have to be open with them. I have had a few issues since starting with my living situation, and I have had to miss a few things which I just emailed my tutor and course director about and they helped me arrive at a solution.

As a student, I love it. The medical societies are great and plentiful (I’ve joined MSF, emergency medicine and about every single one under the sun). Nightlife - 3 trebles for £5 need I really say more. It’s very small as a city in my experience, and feels very homely
Thank you so much. I must say I loved the vibe when I went up - it felt very much like London but obviously colder and cheaper and I got a very Christmassy feeling although it was only September- the support and the course sounds great though
TheGraduateMedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you so much. I must say I loved the vibe when I went up - it felt very much like London but obviously colder and cheaper and I got a very Christmassy feeling although it was only September- the support and the course sounds great though
I went to Liverpool uni and I’ve looked at kings, Southampton, Glasgow, Warwick, Nottingham and Newcastle. I have to say by far my favourites were Glasgow and Newcastle in terms of city, I loved Liverpool when I was a student there but I don’t hear wildly good things about medicine teaching there.. but I guess it’s personal preference. I actually was mad on kings and got in there for my undergrad, when I actually went to visit it my heart dropped a little. I never looked back on choosing Liverpool and know now I personally wouldn’t have enjoyed kings. Point is - gut feeling counts for a lot!
Advertisement
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
All the tutors for seminars are GP tutors which is a massive benefit.
What a great idea!
scienceyyy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
average of 640 in UCAT
Should I apply to newcastle?
jjjjjjcccccc
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
does anyone know if the UCAT threshold is lower for people that are eligible for PARTNERS? I got a score of 2750 so it's kinda risky but I'm eligible for PARTNERS so idk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads