The Student Room Group

Question about brass instrument

I hire a brass instrument from school however they haven't really been the best at letting me know how to look after the instrument. On some of the slides, there are some red marks (shown in image - https://imgur.com/a/Ykz88el) but I have no idea what this is, if it is good, nor what to do about it.

Can someone help?
Those marks are just the age of the instrument showing I think. They might also be caused by the slides not being oiled enough. Which instrument is it? I can't tell from the photo :confused:
My advice would be to put some slide oil or cream on them and move them in and out until they are easy to move. If you get lessons then your teacher should be able to lend you some oil but otherwise it's quite cheap online. I don't have any to recommend because I play the trombone and I use my normal slide oil on my tuning slides too but it's quite expensive to just be used on tuning slides :s-smilie:
Original post by goldilocks12
Those marks are just the age of the instrument showing I think. They might also be caused by the slides not being oiled enough. Which instrument is it? I can't tell from the photo :confused:
My advice would be to put some slide oil or cream on them and move them in and out until they are easy to move. If you get lessons then your teacher should be able to lend you some oil but otherwise it's quite cheap online. I don't have any to recommend because I play the trombone and I use my normal slide oil on my tuning slides too but it's quite expensive to just be used on tuning slides :s-smilie:

They move perfectly fine. So it is nothing to really worry about then? I believe it is a euphonium (I play a different instrument at school and just leave this one at home, but you'd still expect me to know what it's called lol)
Reply 3
Just a bit of tarnish use some brasso if you want to remove it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending