gem2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ellios)
Last year the December interviewees heard back on the 22nd January I believe
how is that fair when some of us wont have interviewed by that point and there are very few places up for grabs ( about 25 right?)
alicedaisy111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Does anyone know how many places there are on the course for this year?
gem2020
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheGraduateMedic)
We heard within a week, but I think people that didn’t get exceptional offers heard in Feb
wouldnt hearing back within a week discriminate against the interviewees who interview at later dates?
TheGraduateMedic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gem2020)
wouldnt hearing back within a week discriminate against the interviewees who interview at later dates?
No, the scores were so high (I think either 1 mark off full marks or full marks), that we were guaranteed entry and statistically speaking other candidates wouldn’t have all got that score (ie people got in without exceptional offers) so it was fair
onelasttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, the scores were so high (I think either 1 mark off full marks or full marks), that we were guaranteed entry and statistically speaking other candidates wouldn’t have all got that score (ie people got in without exceptional offers) so it was fair
Do you know that as a fact or are you guessing? Unless there were potentially places for all the candidates that hadn't been interviewed then there would always be a chance that all the remaining candidates could all get full marks or 1 mark off full marks. I think that Newcastle have said this year something like... they will not give out any offers until all interviews have been completed in order to be fair to all candidates. If this is considered fair this year can't help wondering why it wasn't considered fair last year?
gem2020
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
that seems reasonable I suppose...just assumed they would wait until everyone has interviewed in case the other candidates scores are also very high as this is graduate entry and people will be very well prepared.

well done on getting such a high score though. I didn't realise they tell you your score either, or that there even was a numerical score allocated to you ..
TheGraduateMedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by onelasttime)
Do you know that as a fact or are you guessing? Unless there were potentially places for all the candidates that hadn't been interviewed then there would always be a chance that all the remaining candidates could all get full marks or 1 mark off full marks. I think that Newcastle have said this year something like... they will not give out any offers until all interviews have been completed in order to be fair to all candidates. If this is considered fair this year can't help wondering why it wasn't considered fair last year?
As a fact. Newcastle haven’t said that, I asked myself and they just said they weren’t doing it for practical reasons. There is a chance but it’s minuscule, that has literally never happened or come close to happening. GANFYD can explain in more detail.

(Original post by gem2020)
that seems reasonable I suppose...just assumed they would wait until everyone has interviewed in case the other candidates scores are also very high as this is graduate entry and people will be very well prepared.

well done on getting such a high score though. I didn't realise they tell you your score either, or that there even was a numerical score allocated to you ..
I wouldn’t over estimate interview performance of grads. There’s a lot of non attendance due to people making random applications to unis they didn’t really have feasible plans to go to (ie London), and then got offers from elsewhere. There’s also some quite poorly prepared candidates and even those that are well prepared often do not exhibit interpersonal skills needed to get on the course. I spend a few hours over 4 days a week preparing both undergraduates and graduates for interviews and imho the undergraduates are usually better prepared because they have their schools guiding them through. Also, lots of grads don’t have time alongside work to prepare for interviews or for some reason believe they don’t need to prepare whilst most school leavers have probably had their preparation addressed by someone in their school. This is, of course, mostly anecdotal. But for reference my colleagues literally saw one person whack out a sandwich from his pocket at an interview (between stations), so grads aren’t exempt from doing silly things!

Thank you. You can get the score if you’re rejected. Essentially someone messaged me with their score, cut off and then through process of elimination ive worked that out as the cut off was actually quite high.

The numerical score is simply a means of being able to total the performance of a candidate across all stations and standardise them for comparison to others I believe!
onelasttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As a fact. Newcastle haven’t said that, I asked myself and they just said they weren’t doing it for practical reasons. There is a chance but it’s minuscule, that has literally never happened or come close to happening. GANFYD can explain in more detail.

I wouldn’t over estimate interview performance of grads. There’s a lot of non attendance due to people making random applications to unis they didn’t really have feasible plans to go to (ie London), and then got offers from elsewhere. There’s also some quite poorly prepared candidates and even those that are well prepared often do not exhibit interpersonal skills needed to get on the course. I spend a few hours over 4 days a week preparing both undergraduates and graduates for interviews and imho the undergraduates are usually better prepared because they have their schools guiding them through. Also, lots of grads don’t have time alongside work to prepare for interviews or for some reason believe they don’t need to prepare whilst most school leavers have probably had their preparation addressed by someone in their school. This is, of course, mostly anecdotal. But for reference my colleagues literally saw one person whack out a sandwich from his pocket at an interview (between stations), so grads aren’t exempt from doing silly things!

Thank you. You can get the score if you’re rejected. Essentially someone messaged me with their score, cut off and then through process of elimination ive worked that out as the cut off was actually quite high.

The numerical score is simply a means of being able to total the performance of a candidate across all stations and standardise them for comparison to others I believe!
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I wasn't asking about Newcastle waiting until after the interviews were over to give out offers this year. I meant do you know all those that received an early offer received full marks or one mark off full marks. What was full marks? Would be interesting to know.
JakeyLank
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just to clarify, as the information seems to be conflicting, can anyone unequivocally tell me whether there will be early offers given to exceptional candidates?
Ellios
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JakeyLank)
Just to clarify, as the information seems to be conflicting, can anyone unequivocally tell me whether there will be early offers given to exceptional candidates?
No.

All anyone can go on is last year, and last year there were early offers, so I'm expecting the same this year.
TheGraduateMedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There 100% won’t be early offers
A) I was told so
B) if there were going to be there would be by now as exceptional offers take a week to come through post interview
JakeyLank
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There 100% won’t be early offers
A) I was told so
B) if there were going to be there would be by now as exceptional offers take a week to come through post interview
But I read on an official document that they may send offers to exceptional applicants within the interview period. And there are multiple interview cycles.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But I read on an official document that they may send offers to exceptional applicants within the interview period. And there are multiple interview cycles.
I hate to be a pain in the ass, but as I'm a pain in the ass, do you have a link to the document?

Also, for an attempt at reassurance, if you look at last year's spreadsheet, you'll notice that the time between someone's interview and the result were within a week, as mentioned above. Not one soul from TSR has reported an offer, which is statistically improbable if early invites were to be offered. So we're good, for now.
Last edited by 548; 4 weeks ago
JakeyLank
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 548)
I hate to be a pain in the ass, but as I'm a pain in the ass, do you have a link to the document?

Also, for an attempt at reassurance, if you look at last year's spreadsheet, you'll notice that the time between someone's interview and the result were within a week, as mentioned above. Not one soul from TSR has reported an offer, which is statistically improbable if early invites were to be offered. So we're good, for now.
I do not, as I’m sure it was on the laminated document that was provided pre-interview for information. Though equally I could’ve been that focused on the interview itself that I misread 😂

I’m not so brazen as to think that I’m definitely an exceptional candidate, but it would be nice to know that the possibility existed for early offers to be given 🙄
TheGraduateMedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Edit bc it was all just a ramble
Last edited by TheGraduateMedic; 4 weeks ago
Ellios
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
On this day last year the first big-ish batch of offers went out....

This is honestly torture
JakeyLank
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ellios)
On this day last year the first big-ish batch of offers went out....

This is honestly torture
Those that interviewed on the day I did came out on the 31st last year 🙈
tecwhizz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Intriguing that there seems to be much lower engagement on this year's thread than on last year's for this course!
TheGraduateMedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tecwhizz)
Intriguing that there seems to be much lower engagement on this year's thread than on last year's for this course!
Because we’re all horribly keen (me)
Ellios
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tecwhizz)
I'm just suffering in silence haha, every day I'm hoping for an email - it's awful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (431)
67.77%
No (205)
32.23%

Watched Threads